The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
DisgruntledMoth
If you want to be really posh, talk like Prince William and Harry, in that bored sort of way.

off = "orf"
tower = "tar"

etcetcetc.

lol!
Reply 21
Good luck. :P

I wouldn't have said being posh is attractive really. It depends what their attitudes were towards non posh people like me.
Reply 22
Raquel//
But if you really want to... speak about yourself using 'one' and have rreally long vowels.

I love speaking posh, amuses me so.

I already do this when the occasion demands. Are there any other ways for me to demonstrate that I am really posh - not the acquired "poshness" one observes in the manner of some wannabes I witness at Cambridge?
Reply 23
emulate Raef in every way you can.

"I get on with prince or pauper"
if everyone else is acting powsh , then why do you have to? im a regular 'cockney geezer', and ive had no trouble with getting into the world of corporate finace.if theyve gotta problem they can stuff themselves
Reply 25
Poica
Make jokes about the common people and confidently discuss your school days at Eton. Discuss homosexuality as something for bored schoolboys and feminism as something for ugly poor women.

To some extent, I already do this just so that I give my fellow toffs the impression that I am fitting in.

I'm having dinner with some really posh fellows - some have mingled with the establishment - this weekend and afraid that I might use the wrong cutlery thereby betraying my attempt at being truly posh.

Any tips on how to eat in a really posh way?
Reply 26
Think of Lee Mcqueen who just won the apprentice. He is the complete opposite of psoh, yet hes made it very far!
Reply 27
dealbreaker
To some extent, I already do this just so that I give my fellow toffs the impression that I am fitting in.

I'm having dinner with some really posh fellows - some have mingled with the establishment - this weekend and afraid that I might use the wrong cutlery thereby betraying my attempt at being truly posh.

Ok, ive worked in a posh restaurant for 2 years, so i should know.
You have 2 sets of cutlery normally. going from the small set on the outside and the large set on the inside. For the starters, you use the small set of cutlery, then for the mains you use the larger set of cutlery. its amazing how many people don't know this.
Reply 28
Do a degree in "Niles Crane"
Reply 29
dealbreaker

you should hire a butler to pre-digest your food, and then vomit it back into your mouth like a baby bird. anything else would be seen as common.
Reply 30
Just speak formally without slang and in a businesslike voice. Don't pretent to be posh, 9 out of 10 people will see right through it :biggrin:

Have fun! :smile:
Reply 31
http://poshtest.com/quiz/

I came out 57% posh

Or you can do a "Chav" test
http://chavstest.com/quiz/index.php

I came out 30% chav :frown:
Reply 32
Reltub
Think of Lee Mcqueen who just won the apprentice. He is the complete opposite of psoh, yet hes made it very far!

I'd rather not think of Lee McQueen, thanks. With all due respect to the old boy, he's done well but he's been screwed by Sir Alan because the latter has put him in a crappy job. Simon Ambrose, winner of the Apprentice last year and my fellow Cantab and a posh totty, on the other hand, was given a high profile job by Sir Alan within the company.
Reply 33
dealbreaker

Really?

Weird...
Reltub
na do not use "one" they see through it and think you are taking the mick

I use 'one' in my sentences a lot :s-smilie:
It's inappropriate to say 'you' a lot of the time, as it makes it seem like it is actually directed at that person.
Reply 35
OhNO!
emulate Raef in every way you can.

"I get on with prince or pauper"

Let's not forget when speaking of your qualities: 'the spoken word is my tool'
Reply 36
don't pretend to be posh using a silly accent - you will seem like a fool!
oh and if you have soup always spoon away from you when you are eating (having table manners is a good idea)
dealbreaker

God, that is sad. :frown:
Reply 38
dealbreaker
I'd rather not think of Lee McQueen, thanks. With all due respect to the old boy, he's done well but he's been screwed by Sir Alan because the latter has put him in a crappy job. Simon Ambrose, winner of the Apprentice last year and my fellow Cantab and a posh totty, on the other hand, was given a high profile job by Sir Alan within the company.

Has he put him in a crappy job? As far as I was aware, he's part of a launch of a new area of Amstrad - I'd hardly call that crappy...
ally.pants
don't pretend to be posh using a silly accent - you will seem like a fool!
oh and if you have soup always spoon away from you when you are eating (having table manners is a good idea)

Yes, definitely.
When you've got a roll with said soup, BREAK IT OFF for goodness sake, and spread the butter on that bit only. I cringe when I see people munching their roll all at once.

Latest

Trending

Trending