The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
No u cudnt put it on the wall, and id think seriously about taking a tv that size, the rooms arent that big- space is valuable.and most people I know either dont watch that much tv, or watch it via their laptop/pc.
and Cambridge doesnt have lounges, the only communal space in the flat is the kitchen and the hall. Tis why the kitchen has a big table in. Not really an issue as people are just in and out of each others rooms.
If u wanted some sort of loungey bit, you need to look at halls like Briarfields or Oxford Court, which has a bit with sofas and a tv in in the kitchen
hope that helps
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
You'd be the envy of everyone in the flat :p:

I wouldn't have thought there would be much space for a TV that size, I'm not even bringing my 19" as most stuff is on BBC iPlayer/4oD etc and you don't need a TV licence to watch it online :biggrin:
Reply 3
Rob500
You'd be the envy of everyone in the flat :p:

I wouldn't have thought there would be much space for a TV that size, I'm not even bringing my 19" as most stuff is on BBC iPlayer/4oD etc and you don't need a TV licence to watch it online :biggrin:

Haha, yeah I think my TV would have to replace the desk in my room. I think I might just buy a 19/21" Monitor. I dont have a laptop so gotta bring my huge comp instead!

It's a bit of a grey area with tv's as well isn't it? Even if you're using it just for gaming, do you have to have a license? Those weirdos might come knocking to look in ur room so I don't know...

Thanks for the advice anyway Rob & Mori!
i took a desktop- they really dont take up that much space if u have flat screen.
no- you wont need a licence if its just gaming. tis possibly the only advantage of not having an aerial point, they can argue you watch a tv with no picture hehe.
however it seems to be general policy that security dont let enforcement guys in to halls. you just get rainforests worth of letters telling you your doomed-tv or no tv.
Reply 5
I was in Cambridge halls last year and one of the lads I lived with had a flat screen 32" and it fitted perfectly on the desk with plenty of room to spare.
Reply 6
A few more questions that I hope some people could give some advice on?

- Everyone will be turning up on their first days with their luggage and stuff... will anyone be having their parents drop them off and help them get their stuff into the dorm is do you tend to do that on your own?

- You take your own bedding right? What about curtains? Can you?

- I don't know anything about laundry.. are there washing machines in the dorms or do you have to go to a laundarette? Is one far from cambridge dorms and how much does it cost if so?

- I got a letter about enrolment... I thought we were already enrolled because we've done all the finance and everything.. can you enrol online?
Reply 7
my parents will help unload i reckon and we might go out for a meal or whatever so they don't just have to do like 7 hours solid driving haha but yeah might be a bit awkward if they stay too long...

there are curtains already there so you don't have to worry about bringing those, but you will have to bring a fitted sheet, douvet and douvet cover, and pillows and pillow cases. and you have to bring towels and stuff as well.

cambridge halls have two laundry rooms within the halls, one in the north section and one in the south. it costs a couple of quid for washing and there are driers there too.

you have to enrol (go to registration) when you get there, to confirm that you have actually turned up to get your finances (student loan) through, and so they can be sure you're real and stuff. for some courses we can enrol online, it's not specified which yet, but you will still have to go for some lecture or something i presume to make sure you've arrived or whatever.

:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending