The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thought they were pretty easyy :biggrin: Very happy. I needed that after U4 =/

- the siamese cat one?

Well, the torso is warm and in the question was the clue "enzyme is easily denatured", and hands, feet, tail, face are all colder parts of the body, so the enzymes in the warm part (torso) become denatured => tertiary protein structure change => active site can't bind to substrate etc => no pigment.

-The other cat one about the fact that Mm was no tail, the answer is 1/3 not 1/4, because the fourth MM wouldn't even be a cat, it would be dead. So there are 3 possible living cats, and 1 of them could be mm.

Umm.... I can't remember the rest of the paper. I chose the succession essay, and spoke about Evvvvverything to do with succession, and then how each seral stage, there is a growth in the foodchains then spoke about everything to do with energy in foodchains and stuff, then a diagram LOL just in case... And after that, water cycle, nitro cycle, carbon cycle, that this was a climactic climax community etc.

Not bad. I think I wrote about 4 pages inc the diagrams.

I didn't even want to think about the other essay as I didn't have a clue about proteins. I had sacrificed a lot of the syllabus and thank god what I sacrificed didn't come up at all..

Biology is DONE!!!!! Unless I have to resit =/
Reply 2
a pirate life for me
Thought they were pretty easyy :biggrin: Very happy. I needed that after U4 =/

- the siamese cat one?

Well, the torso is warm and in the question was the clue "enzyme is easily denatured", and hands, feet, tail, face are all colder parts of the body, so the enzymes in the warm part (torso) become denatured => tertiary protein structure change => active site can't bind to substrate etc => no pigment.

-The other cat one about the fact that Mm was no tail, the answer is 1/3 not 1/4, because the fourth MM wouldn't even be a cat, it would be dead. So there are 3 possible living cats, and 1 of them could be mm.

Umm.... I can't remember the rest of the paper. I chose the succession essay, and spoke about Evvvvverything to do with succession, and then how each seral stage, there is a growth in the foodchains then spoke about everything to do with energy in foodchains and stuff, then a diagram LOL just in case... And after that, water cycle, nitro cycle, carbon cycle, that this was a climactic climax community etc.

Not bad. I think I wrote about 4 pages inc the diagrams.

I didn't even want to think about the other essay as I didn't have a clue about proteins. I had sacrificed a lot of the syllabus and thank god what I sacrificed didn't come up at all..

Biology is DONE!!!!! Unless I have to resit =/

I got 25%, doesn't matter if the cat was dead or if the cat became a donkey, you had 4 samples of genotypes, 1 of them was mm, so it has to be 1/4....
Reply 3
yh i got 25% to!
I thought about the torso thing but a saimese cat question was in a genetic kinda theme so apart froom sayin the body is hotter i said stuff about co-dominace ad how the mutaant gene was on the hairs on the body and not the ear etc. cause the sickle cell scenario were the mutation is co-dominant and both phenotypes are expressed.
Reply 4
i did the essay on plants thought it was easier tbh. talked about meiosis and sexual reproduction and all that jazz
Reply 5
I couldn't find much A2 content to talk about so went with succession.
Reply 6
Why so many warnings?
Mos Def
I got 25%, doesn't matter if the cat was dead or if the cat became a donkey, you had 4 samples of genotypes, 1 of them was mm, so it has to be 1/4....

Really? I did a question in either the NAS or the CGP book I think it is probably the NAS genetics book, which asked a very similar question.

I wrote 25% when I did that question in class, and the answers at the back said 1/3, so I learnt my lesson after that...

Strange.

Eh well, it was just about 1 mark, presuming you showed the parents/parent gametes/offpsring diagram thing well enough
I assumed that question was 1/3 as it was only talking about embryos that actually developed, and out of the four genotypes only 3 will develop, and one was the required genotype.
I did the energy flow and succession essay, which was surprisingly easy to write about, I almost ran out of time as I realised I needed a conclusion.
Generally the exam was OK though, not too much hard synoptic stuff.
lozzaisdabestever
I assumed that question was 1/3 as it was only talking about embryos that actually developed, and out of the four genotypes only 3 will develop, and one was the required genotype.
I did the energy flow and succession essay, which was surprisingly easy to write about, I almost ran out of time as I realised I needed a conclusion.
Generally the exam was OK though, not too much hard synoptic stuff.

Do you have the Chemistry synoptic now? Nervous?

I suck at maths and this paper is the most equation-heavy =/ depressing...
Reply 10
gd luck wth chem. and if anyone has english straight afterwards then gd luck again!!! ITS ALMOST OVER!
Reply 11
Mos Def

Oh rats.......did the question ask what the phenotypic ratio was, or did it ask of the surviving cats, how many would be manx?

p ratio is 25%

but ratio of manx in survived cats might well be 33.3%

I thought it was another monohybrid punnet giveaway.............darn my naivety!
Reply 12
it is 25% for the stupid cat question cuz it said wat are the chances that a cat with a normal tail will be born doesnt talk about living or dead. as for the first question unfortunately i hadnt studied biogas so i guessed that the 2 constituents were ch4 and co2 then the description was easy the explanation i just said that decreases cuz of co2 levels from respiring microorganisms but apparently some acid is involved. the cat question was pretty easy the pigment one was common sense since the body is warmer cuz of the heart and vital organs pumping blood higher temperature the enzyme is denatured and pigment not produced. as for the essay i did the first one cuz i just hate plants and i ddnt remember anything about stupid plant reproduction. i wrote 4 pages, 2 about the energy flow and 2 about succession hope it works! the important thing is that i survived alevel biology and thats enough to make me happy :biggrin:

-->if anyone has the paper can u please post it or send the link to me i would appreciate that
Reply 13
Apparently your right, its CO2 and CH4 according to MAH and wikipedia
Reply 14
That's a bit ****; surely the extract the Co2 out of the biogas mixture...that was my reasoning for writing CH4...and then I panicked and wrote Nitrogen lol...don't ask...
Reply 16
The qn about the manx cat; probability is 1/3, since MM embryos arent formed, or if they are, they dont develop.

On an unrelated not, doesnt any1 else find it sad to be a cat without a tail? :frown:
Yupp, it does state in the question that the embryo would not develop
Biogas was a bit off-putting because I hadn't revised it the night before, but thankfully I did remember what it was about. It was acidic because of the CO2 produced but also because of short-chain fatty acids produced during acetogenesis.

Second question was a bit weird and I couldn't tell which probability they wanted - so I put both lol. I said 25% genotypic probability but since the question asks "what is the probability of a cat produced having normal tail" I said 1/3 of the cats produced will have a normal tail because the MM one will have died as an embryo and not even have developed. The pigment one I talked about the white bits being warmer etc and the tails/ears etc being far away from the body & having a large surface area:vol ratio so will lose heat more easily, so enzymes denature etc but stupidly I had forgotten the word "torso" and rambled on about the cat's "middle bit". LOL.

The metabolic pathway question was standard.

I chose the essay on plant reproduction because I thought it was more straightforward what it was asking, and I just hate hate hate ecology in every single sense so it wouldn't have made a great essay! I then rambled on about meiosis, mutations, polyploidy leading to speciation etc for the A2 content.

Alright I guess. The essays weren't as nice as previous papers' but I think it went better than Unit 5!

Chem synoptic now in about 1 hour!
Excalibur
Biogas was a bit off-putting because I hadn't revised it the night before, but thankfully I did remember what it was about. It was acidic because of the CO2 produced but also because of short-chain fatty acids produced during acetogenesis.

Second question was a bit weird and I couldn't tell which probability they wanted - so I put both lol. I said 25% genotypic probability but since the question asks "what is the probability of a cat produced having normal tail" I said 1/3 of the cats produced will have a normal tail because the MM one will have died as an embryo and not even have developed. The pigment one I talked about the white bits being warmer etc and the tails/ears etc being far away from the body & having a large surface area:vol ratio so will lose heat more easily, so enzymes denature etc but stupidly I had forgotten the word "torso" and rambled on about the cat's "middle bit". LOL.

The metabolic pathway question was standard.

I chose the essay on plant reproduction because I thought it was more straightforward what it was asking, and I just hate hate hate ecology in every single sense so it wouldn't have made a great essay! I then rambled on about meiosis, mutations, polyploidy leading to speciation etc for the A2 content.

Alright I guess. The essays weren't as nice as previous papers' but I think it went better than Unit 5!

Chem synoptic now in about 1 hour!

Chem synoptic is going to SUCK BALLS.

I mean REAL cojones. Edexcel were lenient with Bio, so they can be brutal with Chem. Add to that Jan 08 6B was easy, we are screwed. See you in 12 hours, if I haven't drowned myself =/

Latest

Trending

Trending