The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't do it. Not only does it ruin your hands but somthing in the dye (I think it might be ammonia?) makes your nails brittle and they take MONTHS to recover.
You can, but I wouldn't recommend it.
If you must, wash your hands straight after applying it and if the dye doesn't come off, try some nail varnish remover/washing-up liquid.
You will however, end up with very dry hands, so moisturise afterwards!
Reply 22
Do not do it, the finger broke on one of my gloves and it's a faded shade of black! (that's by using perm hair dye).
Reply 23
sad core
As Title says, can we dye hair without glove. I feel the glove is very trobulesome.

take a look at this page too,http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=610713
it is one of my problem now. Hope someone can help me with it.

I never use the gloves when I dye my hair, I really hate how they feel. I just had a bit of dye on my hands for a bit but it didn't really bother me.
I've done it without gloves, wouldn't recommend it, I ended up with rather peculiar neon pink hands to match my neon pink hair :smile:
Reply 25
er, it stains the nails (for me anyway). especially black and red! I had a splodgy nail for around 2 months.
i never use the gloves, not even with bleach. my fingers are pretty tough after two years of floristry and bassoon-ing but they don't even get dyed if you wash them after putting the dye on. mind, bleach does give me some white patchs for a few hours :s
it's so much quicker without gloves!
Reply 27
technically yes, but i wouldn't advise it. What colour are you dying it? once i dyed my hair blue and the glove split, one of my fingers was unnaturally blue for a few months. However, i am told that toothpaste is good for removing colour from skin, but i have never used it myself...
surgical gloves are a good alternative to the gloves that are provided. if that helps at all.
Reply 29
i stupidly tried this once with purple dye.

it turned my hands and nails purple, and eventhough it came off my skin pretty quick, it stayed on my nails for ages because hair and nails are made out of the same stuff! lol.

i wouldn't recommend it. try and get hold of some hospital gloves or something that actually fit your hands. if you are anything like me and have small hands, the gloves provided are way too big.
Reply 30
I dye my friends hair all the time but read the ingredients on the packaging and make sure you're not allergic to anything in it if not it's fine
Reply 31
I thought that also so like a dummy I didn't use them. The next day I woke up with swollen hands, feet and legs. They was so swollen it looked like the skin was going to split open. I had taken a lot of.the chemicals in thru my skin and had an allergic reaction. YES USE THE GLOVES ALWAYS 😢
Maybe it's the type of gloves you're wearing. Rubber gloves (the type you use for washing dishes and bathroom cleaning) lather up really well. How do I know this? I wear them all the time to wash my hair.
Original post by Samelam
I never use the gloves when I dye my hair, I really hate how they feel. I just had a bit of dye on my hands for a bit but it didn't really bother me.

Oh really back to my previous answer rubber dishwashing gloves are excellent protection against hair dye plus they don't tear quite as easy as disposable gloves (plastic,vinal or latex).

Latest

Trending

Trending