The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kolya
That some economic behaviour can be treated as a science, and that econometrics is a rapidly important developing field that is certain to take on even more importance as processor speed and disk storage increases.

Even if the OP can avoid quantitative economics degrees, if they are looking to the future of economics then why on earth would they want to avoid the quantitative work?!

My post that you quoted was directed at someone who thought the OP was applying for a science related degree NOT an economics degree.
So read what I said in relation to who and what before you start accusing me of saying that I don't think "economic behaviour can be treated as a science".
Reply 41
Profesh
Somewhat. However, I daresay the pertinent question is this: do you understand what you mean?

:rofl:
Reply 42
misswilliams
My post that you quoted was directed at someone who thought the OP was applying for a science related degree NOT an economics degree.
So read what I said in relation to who and what before you start accusing me of saying that I don't think "economic behaviour can be treated as a science".
Well, I apologize for misunderstanding your intention, but quoting or referencing a post which is not directly above yours is helpful for others to understand your point.
Kolya
Well, I apologize for misunderstanding your intention, but quoting or referencing a post which is not directly above yours is helpful for others to understand your point.

Err it was, I was talking in reference to post number 9 and mine was number 10. The poster from post number 9 then replied to me in post number 11 therefore everything was understood between me and that person. I apologise that on the one occasion I didn't use the quote button you didn't read the two posts above and below my post, which was number 10 by the way.
Reply 44
what i dont want to do an economics degree would AS maths still be useful?
Reply 45
lil_chinkstar
what i dont want to do an economics degree would AS maths still be useful?

So youre going to change what you wanted to do because of AS maths ._.?
Reply 46
As far as I see it you have two options here (well, maybe 3):
option 1: drop one of the A2s you're planning on taking in favour of AS maths
option 2: cover the AS maths material over the summer, and then join the A2 class in September (either in addition to the A Levels you're already taken, or in place of one of them)
maybe option 3: reconsider taking economics at university. It does involve a lot of maths, and if you hate maths...
Reply 47
Angelil
As far as I see it you have two options here (well, maybe 3):
option 1: drop one of the A2s you're planning on taking in favour of AS maths
option 2: cover the AS maths material over the summer, and then join the A2 class in September (either in addition to the A Levels you're already taken, or in place of one of them)
maybe option 3: reconsider taking economics at university. It does involve a lot of maths, and if you hate maths...

Ok....

1) everyone ive given up on economics degree now
2) Is AS maths a good AS to have, because i want to keep Biology, Chemistry and Economics to A2.
3) there will be a new maths spec this sept, is it harder?
Profesh
Economics at degree-level is very mathematical, as you would undoubtedly be aware had you researched the subject in any depth at all.

Actually, you're not 100% right. It depends a lot on the individual university's course; some aren't nearly so mathematical and contain a lot more essay-based work as opposed to formulae and calculations. OP should really have taken Maths, though.
lil_chinkstar
Ok....

1) everyone ive given up on economics degree now
2) Is AS maths a good AS to have, because i want to keep Biology, Chemistry and Economics to A2.
3) there will be a new maths spec this sept, is it harder?

Maths is one of the few A-Levels to retain its six-unit structure, so it will be relatively unchanged by the introduction of new specifications.
Profesh
Somewhat. However, I daresay the pertinent question is this: do you understand what you mean?

He does, he means it's not pure, hardcore maths. :biggrin: It seems as though you weren't in the best of moods on this thread, Profesh!
Reply 51
lil_chinkstar
i hate the subject maths , but i find economics really interesting and it isnt like maths, " quadratics, trigonometry and all that" but i know it has some maths aspects in it. if you understand what i mean lol

Lol. You would be amazed how much pure maths there is in an economics degree along side statistics. If you do maths or further maths yuo will find that a lot of the maths is very much related. You may still fing yourself using trig at uni. After looking at my course for next year, its 50% pure maths, 25% stats and 25% economics. Look into the specific course before yuo apply otherwise you will end up hating it.
Reply 52
Im thinking of going into business, finance, investment sort of area, course requirements doesnt state maths but will it help? because i dont want to be stressed out next year because im already doing 3 A2s in Bio, Chem and economics which is hard already
Reply 53
Think of it this way:

If you do maths A or AS level you have an advantage
if you do further maths A or AS level you're at a big advantage

but I wouldn't say that you''re at a DISadvantage if you DON'T have either. ok?

It helps if you have it. It doesn't hinder you if you don't have it.
Reply 54
lil_chinkstar
I went to a science taster course today, and everyone did maths a level except for me, they told me that i was at a disadvantage because i didnt do maths and that unis favour applicants who have maths, is this true? i do business, economics, chemistry and biology. Seems like im not gonna get very far because i wanted to do economics but the good unis want "maths a level", i heard this advert for games designers but it was aimed at "maths graduates". *sigh*:frown:

For your own benefit, please learn some maths. Eventually, everything, to be studied rigorously, reduces to mathematics.
Reply 55
Tallon
Think of it this way:

If you do maths A or AS level you have an advantage
if you do further maths A or AS level you're at a big advantage

but I wouldn't say that you''re at a DISadvantage if you DON'T have either. ok?

It helps if you have it. It doesn't hinder you if you don't have it.

this is what i was looking for thanks.

just curious, why does Further maths put you at a disadvantage? isnt it AS and A2? but in one year?

Latest