The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
:erm:
Would you not be better to try and familerise yourself with some of the key parts of the degree course you're going to be doing?
Pourquoi exactement?
7UP
The joke isn't over because this thread is still in existance!

In all seriousness, just have some fun, you won't forget enough for you to turn into a tool just in time for University. Call up your friends, go and sit in the sun* and enjoy yourself.

*by sun I meant english summer sun, and hense, rain.

A bit off topic, but I really like the way your username and avatar match. Very smooth.:smile:
Yes I sure will be..

and I will probably just write a 10,000 word essay on the life of a peanut...for the crack..

and if I feel really wild I may even invent a special type of hands free toothbrush :wink:
Erm, I don't think this is competely pointless but if I were you I'd just cover the topics and skills that will be particularly useful in your degree. Perhaps looking over the start of your degree work (from next years book list) will be more handy? as well as keeping up to date with current developments in the world (possibly more useful for politics and economics). :smile:
Reply 66
MJai
Needless/willful stupidity doesn't irritate you too?

You can hardly call it stupidity to revise things during summer. What logic can you even use to think that? I doubt the OP meant he's going to be spending every waking our of every day revising; for all you know he may have meant simply an hour a week or an hour a night before heading off to bed. How can you call that stupid? Would that time be better spent watching some TV show?

It's not something I would do personally, but I'd never call it "stupid". In fact, I'd say it's "stupid" to call that stupidity.
Reply 67
Wenzel
You can hardly call it stupidity to revise things during summer. What logic can you even use to think that? I doubt the OP meant he's going to be spending every waking our of every day revising; for all you know he may have meant simply an hour a week or an hour a night before heading off to bed. How can you call that stupid? Would that time be better spent watching some TV show?

It's not something I would do personally, but I'd never call it "stupid". In fact, I'd say it's "stupid" to call that stupidity.

I called it stupidity, as I explained in my earlier post, because I don't think that revising through the summer is necessary for any subject, at all. It's stupidity, I said, because it's wasting time, because he could be using that time to do internships/apprenticeships/reading a book/whateverthe**** which is just as useful if not more, given today's work experience/career-as-opposed-to-accedemic driven graduate demands -

- because let's face it, I don't think many profs at any given university will have expected any summer prep outside of what they specifically recommend. They'll go over these things, and if you wanted to during term, I'm pretty sure there'd be time to go over that stuff/get your lecturer to go over it. And if the OP's future profs told him to do some recommended reading, then I suggest he speaks up because that's obviously a different ball game.

That is why I called it stupidity.
Reply 68
no no no did i say NO:biggrin:
Reply 69
Y would u do such thing to urself????????????????????????
Reply 70
MJai
I called it stupidity, as I explained in my earlier post, because I don't think that revising through the summer is necessary for any subject, at all. It's stupidity, I said, because it's wasting time, because he could be using that time to do internships/apprenticeships/reading a book/whateverthe**** which is just as useful if not more, given today's work experience/career-as-opposed-to-accedemic driven graduate demands -

- because let's face it, I don't think many profs at any given university will have expected any summer prep outside of what they specifically recommend. They'll go over these things, and if you wanted to during term, I'm pretty sure there'd be time to go over that stuff/get your lecturer to go over it. And if the OP's future profs told him to do some recommended reading, then I suggest he speaks up because that's obviously a different ball game.

That is why I called it stupidity.

There isn't anything to stop him from doing all that and still revise every so often though. I agree with what you say, that those things would be more productive, but I don't agree that it's stupid to revise.
Reply 71
Hell no! But i may flick through topics before and IF i get to tuni.
Reply 72
Wenzel
There isn't anything to stop him from doing all that and still revise every so often though. I agree with what you say, that those things would be more productive, but I don't agree that it's stupid to revise.

Haha, okay you're right. I get a firey temper on me sometimes, and I recognise it for the bad thing that it is. So....in light of, whatever, I don't know - let's just agree that we're both right, hmm? I hate when people get into these long winded fights on TSR, and I hate being the one in the fight even more. So. There.
Course I will, background reading for next year
it sounds really sad but i am planning to do as much business studies and geography coursework as i can over the summer to stop me thinking about results day. :eek:

i am also planning to spend some time reading through my business studies textbook as i have such a terrible teacher we have to teach ourselves most of the work. :mad:
Two big (well, not that big) classes of people:
If you have AEAs that matter (you have an offer including them), you might revise.
STEP - probably some intense revision for them.

If you did A2 in something and have to go back to school/6th form college (i.e. me), and have to start coursework in A2 something else, maybe revising a bit for the necessary topics.

Apart from that, probably not.

Latest