The Student Room Group

Speed gun just after a speed limit sign...

Scroll to see replies

September. Bike license is harder but more worthwhile. I also think people shouldn't be allowed to pass with 15 minors...

Bike examiners and instructors are a lot more safety conscious. Having done both I feel I am able to compare and pass comment.
Reply 41
Lady Venom
You are lucky it's a 30. All the residentials round me are 20mph. You shouldn't have been speeding so don't try and tell me why it should be more than 30mph. It's been set at that speed for a reason.

Really? :s-smilie:

I live in central London and all the residential areas I've come across (bar a couple, due to roadworks) are 30.

Lady Venom
All drivers re-tested every 10 years or retested upon reching retirement age then ever 5-10 years to check confidence/and ability (e.g. reaction times, spatial awareness)

As far as I know drivers over a certain age have to be retested? I think driving licences expire at a certain stage? I got mine this year and it expires in 2060. That would make me 70.
Unless you mean re-tests should be exactly at retirement age, in which case I concede.

As for re-tests every 10 years - I personally don't think this is a good idea. Expensive for the motorist, a waste of taxes (as parts of the DVLA are subsidised by the Government if I remember correctly) and not always necessary.

Pass plus incorproated into driving test - or young drivers banned from motorway/driving after a certain time at night/driving with passengers until pass plus is taken.
OR consider 1 year driving with P plates and not allowed to carry passengers

Yeah I think it should be compulsory for new drivers to take pass plus.
I also think P plates should be mandatory for 6 months or so after the test is passed.
Reply 42
hobo06

From my experience police do speed checks more commonly on motorways/dual carriages. For that reason I rarely speed on those roads, unless it's because I've commited myslef to overtaking someone who has decided to put their foot down as I do so. Usually I will just do maybe 10 mile over the limit on long stretches of road at unbusy times of the day. Though there are roads that I would never speed down, as there are some that I feel uncomfortable even doing the speed limit along, so no-one can exactly call me a dangerous driver.

But they are far more lenient on the motorways. If you are driving safely at 80, you won't be pulled. If you are driving stupidly at 80, you will be.

To those saying you should never speed, always stick to it etc., the fact is that, assuming you always stick to the limit yourself, you are in a minority. The majority of drivers will speed, even if it's just down one or two roads that they use frequently and are comfortable with doing so (such as the road in my original post).

I always do the speed limit. Even ones which I think are unnecessary.
Meep!
But they are far more lenient on the motorways. If you are driving safely at 80, you won't be pulled. If you are driving stupidly at 80, you will be.

They definetly are, was around 10pm quite an empty motorway, lane 1 had few lorries lane 2 had the odd car lane 3 was completly empty. I had cruise control on 110 and went straight passed a police car doing prob 70 ish in lane 2, they didnt do anything !

( i had calculated the conditions where perfectly safe to do the speed i was doing no one behind no one infront, weather perfect)
Reply 44
Lady Venom
Not applicable really to the debate. You were speeding.

This thread is not supposed to be a debate, I simply asked a question, which no one now seems to even be bothered about.

Lady Venom
All the residentials round me are 20mph.

I don't live where you live.

Lady Venom
don't try and tell me why it should be more than 30mph.

At which point, anywhere in this thread, have I said that it should be more than 30mph?

Lady Venom
Jeeze, just drive at the speed limit, don't pick a time to drive at it, do it all the time.

Now you're telling me what to do?

Lady Venom
It's safer to speed on these roads

So now it's ok to speed? Make up your damn mind!

Lady Venom
Just so you are aware, speed cameras operate at speed limit + 3mph.

If people bothered to stay on topic, I was originally talking about a handheld speed gun, not a speed camera.

Lady Venom
You will get fined caught doing 10mph over the limit.

Other posters in this thread seem to prove otherwise.

Lady Venom
how long have you been driving?

Read the original post.

Lady Venom
Why do you have to speed?!

I don't have to speed, just like everyone else.

Lady Venom
Source please?

You have in fact commented on the sentence that shows I have no source.

Lady Venom
Well don't go making sweeping statements involving minority and majority.

Let me rephrase, since you obviously have absolutely no idea of what I am trying to say:
The majority of drivers that I have met/seen, from my own experience, will speed, even if it's just down one or two roads that they use frequently and are comfortable with doing so.

Lady Venom
it's a pertinent topic that needs to be addressed to highlight the issue to young drivers (and old!) who think that speeding is 'cool', a bit like guns or knives. Breaking the law is not cool.

Then why don't you start your own thread rather than hijacking mine, being off topic, and flaming me?

Lady Venom
I'm not sure what's worse - old people who drive EVERYWHERE at 40mph or young drivers who feel the need to drive everywhere at warp factor with the large exhaust rattling aware :confused:

It's not just old people that drive everywhere at 40mph, there are others that do it too. And for your information, I drive a 1.1L 1995 Ford Fiesta, modified in no way whatsoever. Although the exhaust has been replaced recently, it was replaced with one that came off a car of the same model which was in the scrap yard, just a plain ordinary exhaust. Hell it even has the orginal radio in it, no CD player, not even a cassette player.
So maybe it's about time you moved away from your stereotypical views of people. Just because I'm young and have sped, does not immediately make me a chav with an exhaust the size of a watermelon to make up for size elsewhere (you might be able to tell I'm not particularly keen on them myself, in fact it annoys the hell out of me when all I can hear at 9pm when I'm at work is them racing around the car park, screeching tyres, and the thudding of the bass of their **** music).
I am just the average driver that makes up about 40% of the road users, 20% being the chavs, 15% HGV drivers, 10% taxis, 10% white vans (both of which will speed, not indicate, overtake at inapropiate times) and 5% those that will never ever speed.

N.B. These figures are only meant as a joke, please do not quote me asking for a source or flaming because they are innacurate.
Reply 45
Original post by hobo06
On my way home, I drive through a small village (through one main road with a few houses one side of the road and fields the other, so not busy at all), the speed limit is 30mph, however it is very rare for people to stick to that except on the school run at 9am. Usually I'll be doing about 35-40mph. At the end of the village there is a hill, and at the top of the hill the limit changes to national. The past 2 days as I have driven home (working nights so driving home around 7am) there has been a police car parked abit further past the speed limit sign and two
policeman standing there with a speed gun. Obviously at that point I wouldn't have been speeding, doing about 40-50, as I have passed the national speed limit sign, but can they still catch *
you and say something like "To have been doing that speed you must have been speeding before that point", or do they have to have the evidence from before that point? I'm a bit worried as if they have caught me both those times, that's 6 points and my licence gone as I have only been driving just over a year!
Thanks

Anything come of this?*
Original post by lynds81
I got flashed by a speed camera doing 100 down a dual carriageway... Didn't get anything through for that, and it was 4 months ago.. I was so relieved!

For speeds of 96mph and above on a 70mph limit zone, a ticket is not normally issued. Instead, the police look through the previous history of the driver, consult with the CPS and a court date is arranged. If things are especially busy, this process can take a few months before the driver is issued a summons, and are often issued 4-6 months after the offence.

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest