The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I wouldn't leave it up to a poll to decide what project to take on. How well people did and the projects they chose probably won't correlate very well.

My project, managing building jobs, went really well because it was pretty straightforward and my contact was really nice about things. I'm on a tentative A grade.

Careful with how you spell program during the report.
Reply 2
Also the spec is changing this year, isn't it? Your year has to do a programming project, whereas previous years could do a database solution.
Mel16
Also the spec is changing this year, isn't it? Your year has to do a programming project, whereas previous years could do a database solution.

The specification hasn't changed for CPT6 2009, no. Plus you have never been able to do just a database solution (they call it a package solution), you've always had to incorporate programming into it such as VBA.
Reply 4
I'm doing a business that does a range of services, but the job they gave to me was to do with Estate property.

So i'll be doing Estate Agents. It's pretty good because the manager studied VB in college too, so it'll be easy to talk to him.
Reply 5
Any of those can potentially work - but as secretmessages has alluded to, you need some processing to beef it up - which would usually mean VBA, if you wish to get into the top band for marks.

Processing doesn't just mean basic select queries either - it's VBA, summary queries, make table/append etc queries, all that sort of stuff.

Estate agents works really well - it's possible to write a bit of VBA to generate SQL strings to search on all sorts of fancy combinations of conditions, commission figures can be calculated, monthly sales totals, all sorts of stuff. Plus old houses can be archived to a separate database, which brings in more processing with some fancy queries.

Too many projects that I've seen suffer for having really basic stuff like a list of all the customers, all the products etc.

Stock keeping also works well - you can tot up orders (VBA), do re-order queries which automatically generate re-orders to suppliers, and so on, as well as MIS stylee reports. You've also got to flag up when you don't have enough stock to meet an order, which is more VBA.

Latest

Trending

Trending