The Student Room Group

Which degree would serve me better in this economy?

MA East Asian Studies

MA Modern European Studies

With either major I would pursue courses in their regional political economies, take a class at the business school in their resepective markets and write a thesis on an economic issue like East Asian emerging markets or European markets/maybe on the Euro, etc.

They're both from Columbia University.

Would the job market be favorable toward me with either degree? What kind of jobs could I expect with either too? Thanks.
Reply 1
I would say that international relations is a likely career. As for the economy, one can argue that developing countries in Asia might have a higher growth in the long run or that the current EU and UK both have strong exchange rate and GDP.

Are you trying to ask whether Asia or Europe will have better job markets in relation to their respective economic cycles in the near future? Since we are not economists, it would serve you better to read some papers/articles to find out.

If you ask me, i would study which ever i find more interesting. That's just my opinion.
Reply 2
They're both from Columbia? Do the one you find interesting and network when you have meet-ups with NGO's. :smile:
Reply 3
I take it that they're both good fields to go into? I was actually asking, which one seems like it would carry more weight when looking for a career?
Reply 4
Modern European sounds better to me. East Asian gives the impression you're studying about Asian religion or philosophy, being a Westerner and Modern European sounds like something about the socio-political and economic nature of Europe, but thats just my perception of the degree name thats all......... I don think most of us can say which would carry more weight for a career. It depends on what kind of career you intend to pursue in future.
Reply 5
I intend to pursue a career in Finance, Consulting, Development or Foreign Service.

Modern European Studies sounds more socio-political/economic than East Asian Studies?

This is good to know. Anyone else care to put in their two cents?
Reply 6
YankeeUK2008
I intend to pursue a career in Finance, Consulting, Development or Foreign Service.

Modern European Studies sounds more socio-political/economic than East Asian Studies?

This is good to know. Anyone else care to put in their two cents?

If that's your target career, then you better take up MPA or MBA.
postgrad Economics would also be fine.
Reply 7
You think so? I figured that European Studies was a good field for foreign service? The program is geared toward an interdiscplinary degree in politics, economics and cultural studies.

Not even a thesis on the political economy of Europe would do?
Reply 8
YankeeUK2008
You think so? I figured that European Studies was a good field for foreign service? The program is geared toward an interdiscplinary degree in politics, economics and cultural studies.

I'm not really an expert on this, but most Foreign Service staff I’ve met are lawyers. Same for diplomats and consuls.
Some law schools, such as Columbia and Penn are allowed to take up subjects offered at their respective business schools. Many law students actually do that.

I'm not really sure if that's a great plan. Maybe it would work. Maybe not. But then again, I'm not an expert on this area, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt. However, you might gain solid contacts whilst doing your thesis and they may be able to help you get through your goals. I would imagine how vast the contacts you would have easy access to at schools like Columbia.
Reply 9
YankeeUK2008

The Foreign Service isn't going to care. Seriously.
Reply 10
Ok, if not the foreign service then what fields would guys recommend I pursue? NGO work, Reuters, government?

Gimme the scoop on an MA in Modern European Studies with all the extra stuff I listed.
Reply 11
You'd probably get the same jobs with both degrees (though perhaps the East Asian degree might get you a bit further in finance). As for the types of job, there are general finance jobs, consulting, journalism, political risk, NGOs, international organizations, government, etc. If you start now, the markets should hopefully pick up by the time you finish, so you should be able to find something as long as you don't get too greedy with the first job.
Reply 12
There's a massive premium on anything relating to emerging markets as opposed to mature Europe.

Latest

Trending

Trending