The Student Room Group

Need all you language experts opinions

Hi I'm fairly new to learning languages - i did do German up to GCSE, but i haven't done any for the past two years. Basically i did quite well in German because its a very structured language and i like that. I'd like to start learning Hindi this summer and while looking for a book found a grammar one, so the thought occurred to me that i could learn Hindi by learning all the grammar first so i have a full structure of the language in my mind, and then filling the structure in with all the words.

I'd like to know how you think this would go
Reply 1
I think thats quite a good idea. If you know the grammar of the language you can form anything you could possibly want to say, then the next step would quite obviously be vocab learning.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Well everyone learns in a different way, we can't tell you what is the best way for you over the internet so you have to decide for yourself!
Reply 3
I doubt you would remember just the grammar without any practise or vocabulary. Anyway, the vocabulary is really what takes all the time in learning a language, the grammar just sorta holds it all together and relatively takes less time. It's probably best to learn both at once, IMO.
Reply 4
Well done on being eager to tackle as much grammar as soon as possible. As the other posters have said, everyone learns in a different way. I do think, however, that the best way is through variety, so as long as you intend to practice speaking with natives in order to learn colloquial/idiomatic speech after/as well as learning from books then you'll develop a very good level of fluency.

Best of luck and enjoyment for it!

EDIT: I do not claim to be a languages expert! :P

Latest

Trending

Trending