The Student Room Group

University: Rules about taking courses

Can someone please give an answer to the following queries, thank you:

1 How many years has a university student got to pass a first degree? I think it's either 6 or 7
years no matter what the subject (I'm doing law LLB law BTW if it mattters).

2 Just say that you got a fail in every subject, not a referral, but an out-and-out fail, can you
repeat that year? I think you can, but you have to attend all of the tutorials, and lectures. I also
think the maximum mark you could get for your subjects are 40% but I'm not sure on that.

3 Anyone know how much a year of classes costs if you pay privately? £1000 was what the Local
Authority pays, but don't know if it's still that figure if you pay your own way. Assuming the payee
is a UK citizen living in UK.

I must be sure of the answers to these questions. Thank a lot. Rich.

N.B Crossposted
Reply 1
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
[q1]> Can someone please give an answer to the following queries, thank you:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 1 How many years has a university student got to pass a first degree? I think it's either 6 or 7[/q1]
[q1]> years no matter what the subject (I'm doing law LLB law BTW if it mattters).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 2 Just say that you got a fail in every subject, not a referral, but an out-and-out fail, can you[/q1]
[q1]> repeat that year? I think you can, but you have to attend all of the tutorials, and lectures. I[/q1]
[q1]> also think the maximum mark you could get for your subjects are 40% but I'm not sure on that.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 3 Anyone know how much a year of classes costs if you pay privately? £1000 was what the Local[/q1]
[q1]> Authority pays, but don't know if it's still that figure if you pay your own way. Assuming the[/q1]
[q1]> payee is a UK citizen living in UK.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I must be sure of the answers to these questions. Thank a lot. Rich.[/q1]

Consult your university tutor. The regulations will vary between institutions.

--
Andrew Norman, Leicester, England [email protected] || [email protected]
http://www.le.ac.uk/engineering/nja/
Reply 2
"Richard Delaney" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Can someone please give an answer to the following queries, thank you:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>1 How many years has a university student got to pass a first degree? I think it's either 6 or 7[/q1]
[q1]>years no matter what the subject (I'm doing law LLB law BTW if it mattters).[/q1]

It depends. Most first degrees, studied full time, seem to take 3 years. Some 4.

[q1]>2 Just say that you got a fail in every subject, not a referral, but an out-and-out fail, can you[/q1]
[q1]>repeat that year? I think you can, but you have to attend all of the tutorials, and lectures. I[/q1]
[q1]>also think the maximum mark you could get for your subjects are 40% but I'm not sure on that.[/q1]

That would depend on the university.

[q1]>3 Anyone know how much a year of classes costs if you pay privately? £1000 was what the Local[/q1]
[q1]>Authority pays, but don't know if it's still that figure if you pay your own way. Assuming the[/q1]
[q1]>payee is a UK citizen living in UK.[/q1]

It would be the same as the LEA pays. You can find the annual fees for pretty much any uni on
its web page.

Gareth
Reply 3
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
[q1]> "Richard Delaney" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Can someone please give an answer to the following queries, thank you:[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >1 How many years has a university student got to pass a first degree? I think it's either 6 or 7[/q2]
[q2]> >years no matter what the subject (I'm doing law LLB law BTW if it mattters).[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It depends. Most first degrees, studied full time, seem to take 3 years. Some 4.[/q1]

I think what Richard was asking about was how many chronological years you can spread the study
over. It's not uncommon for some of our students to take half a dozen years to do a degree - a
foundation year, four years for an MEng degree and a year out in the middle. Even disregarding the
foundation and industry years, some students can take five years to do a three year degree, if they
have to resit years. Here, there's a certain amount of discretion about who is allowed to resit
years when they have failed more than a certain number of modules, and there is "resitting with
residence" (i.e. doing a year's study again) and "resitting without residence" (i.e. coming back for
the exams but not attending lectures or practicals). The situation will certainly be different at
different universities, which is why Richard needs to talk to his tutor instead of seeking advice
from newsgroups.

--
Andrew Norman, Leicester, England [email protected] || [email protected]
http://www.le.ac.uk/engineering/nja/
Reply 4
"Andrew Norman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

I will have to see my tutor for the exact situation. I clearly have forbodings about the upcoming
exams. Anyhow, at one time I thought if anyone completely failed a year, I mean without deferrals,
that meant the end of your degree, but I do believe that retaking a year again, like starting the
year again from scratch, is not necessarily out of the question. Possibly though there are marking
restrictions. That's acceptable, main thing is hanging on to the degree. Okay, thanks for the
information.
Reply 5
Richard:

I've tried to answer them below:

[q1]> 1 How many years has a university student got to pass a first degree?[/q1]
I
[q1]> think it's either 6 or 7 years no matter what the subject (I'm doing law[/q1]
LLB
[q1]> law BTW if it mattters).[/q1]

You have three years per level, plus one extra if you have a sandwich placement. It's a maximum of
nine without sandwich and ten with for a 3-year degree like LLB. However, check with your uni as
some have slightly different rules.

[q1]> 2 Just say that you got a fail in every subject, not a referral, but an out-and-out fail, can you[/q1]
[q1]> repeat that year? I think you can, but you have to attend all of the tutorials, and lectures. I[/q1]
[q1]> also think the maximum[/q1]
mark
[q1]> you could get for your subjects are 40% but I'm not sure on that.[/q1]

If it's not a complete fail you cannot repeat. However, with a total fail you can repeat - and the
full range of marks should be available to you. It's as if you didn't do the previous year. However,
your LEA may not support you.

[q1]> 3 Anyone know how much a year of classes costs if you pay privately? £1000 was what the Local[/q1]
[q1]> Authority pays, but don't know if it's still that figure if you pay your own way. Assuming the[/q1]
[q1]> payee is a UK citizen living in UK.[/q1]

It will cost you about £6000, depending on the degree. The £1080 is the contribution you pay where
the LEA pays the rest. However, your LEA may not be very sympathetic to you repeating a year. This
varies between LEA's - I've kknown some fund 6 years and others fund only 3!

Hope this helps

Regards

David Lane

Watch the SPAM trap - peel my 'SPUD' to reply.

"Richard Delaney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Can someone please give an answer to the following queries, thank you: I must be sure of the[/q1]
[q1]> answers to these questions. Thank a lot. Rich.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> N.B Crossposted[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Reply 6
"David Lane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Richard:[/q1]

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> You have three years per level, plus one extra if you have a sandwich placement. It's a maximum of[/q1]
[q1]> nine without sandwich and ten with for a[/q1]
3-year
[q1]> degree like LLB. However, check with your uni as some have slightly different rules.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > 2 Just say that you got a fail in every subject, not a referral, but[/q2]
an
[q2]> > out-and-out fail, can you repeat that year? I think you can, but you[/q2]
have
[q2]> > to attend all of the tutorials, and lectures. I also think the maximum[/q2]
[q1]> mark[/q1]
[q2]> > you could get for your subjects are 40% but I'm not sure on that.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> If it's not a complete fail you cannot repeat. However, with a total fail you can repeat - and the[/q1]
[q1]> full range of marks should be available to you. It's as if you didn't do the previous year.[/q1]
[q1]> However, your LEA may not support you.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > 3 Anyone know how much a year of classes costs if you pay privately? £1000 was what the Local[/q2]
[q2]> > Authority pays, but don't know if it's still[/q2]
that
[q2]> > figure if you pay your own way. Assuming the payee is a UK citizen[/q2]
living
[q2]> > in UK.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It will cost you about £6000, depending on the degree. The £1080 is the contribution you pay where[/q1]
[q1]> the LEA pays the rest. However, your LEA may[/q1]
not
[q1]> be very sympathetic to you repeating a year. This varies between LEA's - I've kknown some fund 6[/q1]
[q1]> years and others fund only 3![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Hope this helps[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Regards[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> David Lane[/q1]

My goodness havent the rules changed since my day? My flabber is ghasted. Under these rules no one
should ever fail. In my day ( God I feel old now!) you got one chance to resit and even then only if
you had failed in just one subject, and that was it! Out , Kaput, down the drain.

I also recall a rule that if you did have to retake the year, if it was your final year, you couldnt
get honours, it was restricted to a pass degree only.

Expletives escape me <g
Reply 7
Andrew Norman <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...[/q1]
[q2]>> "Richard Delaney" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> >Can someone please give an answer to the following queries, thank you:[/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>> >1 How many years has a university student got to pass a first degree? I think it's either 6 or 7[/q2]
[q2]>> >years no matter what the subject (I'm doing law LLB law BTW if it mattters).[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> It depends. Most first degrees, studied full time, seem to take 3 years. Some 4.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I think what Richard was asking about was how many chronological years you can spread the[/q1]
[q1]>study over.[/q1]

Yes, I see that now, I misread it. I think for the Uni of London the period is 8 years.

Gareth

Latest

Trending

Trending