The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Business Analytics & Consulting

Hey everybody,

The Warwick Business School has this year started a new postgraduate program in Business Analytics & Consulting. It is a sister course of the already well established Management Science & Operational Research, since the core modules are the same and only the electives are a bit different.

Can any one tell me more about this program? Any kind of information on it would be appreciated.

I have receieved an offer letter from Warwick for this program but am yet to accept it, since i know it is a risk (in terms of getting employed) taking up a program which is starting for the first time. Would it really be worth it?

Would appreciate everyone's feedback!
Reply 1
diesel
Hey everybody,

The Warwick Business School has this year started a new postgraduate program in Business Analytics & Consulting. It is a sister course of the already well established Management Science & Operational Research, since the core modules are the same and only the electives are a bit different.

Can any one tell me more about this program? Any kind of information on it would be appreciated.

Much of what you're asking can be found on WBS website.

I have receieved an offer letter from Warwick for this program but am yet to accept it, since i know it is a risk (in terms of getting employed) taking up a program which is starting for the first time. Would it really be worth it?

Would appreciate everyone's feedback!

I believe the Warwick career service office is quite reliable. That, along with WBS being a target school for IB and MC makes Warwick an excellent school to go to. I shouldn't be worried having a postgrad degree from WBS, if I were you. Just make sure you can deal with the rigour though.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Thanks Iligan!

I have collected all the info i could from online resources.

Would you or anyone have any idea as to how much their intake would be for this course this time round? how many scholarships theyre giving out?

Know of anyone who has applied for this course?
Reply 3
The best thing you can do is email WBS yourself with the questions, as its a new course, only they will really know how many they plan to take on. They will be happy to help : )
Reply 4
Let me help diesel here. I did contact WBS about this program and the number of intake they plan to have for this coming school year. The answer is relative to the number of applicants received by the school as well as the number of qualified applicants for the program but should not exceed 120. WBS goes with a mission of -- quality over quantity.
Reply 5
Thanks guys!
I did ask the admissions office regarding the number of people they would be accepting in their intake, and the answer was pretty vague...

but i just came to know that their intake would be 20 only, and not 120! :smile: That sure is a small number, and i better be previliged :P
follow the link: http://www.wbs.warwick.ac.uk/news/releases/2008/01/25/New/Masters/in

I don't think many people have applied for this program.
Anyone out there?
Reply 6
Hi Everyone,

Am pretty much interested in this course (BAC) but as per the WBS press release this is supposed to be for recently graduated folks. Anyone doing this course currently? How many are in the batch and whats the peer group like? Would the Masters in Strategic Marketing be a better bet if we are looking at a peer group which is culturally diverse, more experienced and has good job prospects.

Thanks a ton

Nimz
Reply 7
This is a U.S university and degree (Master's in Analytics http://analytics.ncsu.edu/?page_id=248 ). You can view the statistics and data on post graduation job prospects etc. for persons with an analytical degree. Take into considerations that more companies are seeking to compete on analytics and data which makes a degree like this more valuable.

I have seen the Warwick program but much prefer the program at Lancaster http://www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/masters/management-science/msc-management-science-marketing-analytics/ . Although persons like to choose programs according to the University I think the content of the programs is more important.
Reply 8
nimz2
Hi Everyone,

Am pretty much interested in this course (BAC) but as per the WBS press release this is supposed to be for recently graduated folks. Anyone doing this course currently? How many are in the batch and whats the peer group like? Would the Masters in Strategic Marketing be a better bet if we are looking at a peer group which is culturally diverse, more experienced and has good job prospects.

Thanks a ton

Nimz

Hi
Just finished the MSc course and I can answer some of your questions. Originally the business school aimed to recruit around 30 people but due to huge demand the class grew to 70 people. The peer group was very diverse, comprising of recent graduates AND people with work experience (age range: 21-35).
To answer your second question: depends what you want to do after uni. Msc business analytics and consulting and masters in strategic marketing are two very different courses. The first one is very quantitative and based in the operational research group.
Hope this helps
Reply 9
Kamiga
Hi
Just finished the MSc course and I can answer some of your questions. Originally the business school aimed to recruit around 30 people but due to huge demand the class grew to 70 people. The peer group was very diverse, comprising of recent graduates AND people with work experience (age range: 21-35).
To answer your second question: depends what you want to do after uni. Msc business analytics and consulting and masters in strategic marketing are two very different courses. The first one is very quantitative and based in the operational research group.
Hope this helps

Hi,

what kind of things are the BAC grads going into then? Presumably consultancy and the like?
Reply 10
I would like to rewake this subject again, since I am very interested in the BAC program and have been admitted to it. I am from Scandinavia and have done my undergraduate program there, and are therefore a bit backward when it comes to knowledge about the schools in the UK.

- Are students at the BAC program targeted of MBB? (McKinsey, BCG, Bain) If not, what other consultancies are actively recruiting at WBS?
- Is the program considered to be though and require a lot of work compared to other programs?
- Is it possible to get access to lists outlining literature/contents for the initial modules in the program? How could I best prepare for the program, in order to be able to reach as good results and get out as much as possible from the program?
I'm a current student.

Original post by Caratacus
- Are students at the BAC program targeted of MBB? (McKinsey, BCG, Bain) If not, what other consultancies are actively recruiting at WBS?
You won't find consultancies actively headhunting WBS students. But quite a number of BAC students will apply for the graduate schemes of the various consulting companies. You'd still need to go through all the hoops in the recruitment process - it's no different if you're a WBS student or if you attend a business school no one's ever heard of before.

- Is the program considered to be though and require a lot of work compared to other programs?
It's not tough, particularly if you have a background in business studies / management. Some module choices can be easier than others. You will be kept quite busy with coursework, however.

- Is it possible to get access to lists outlining literature/contents for the initial modules in the program? How could I best prepare for the program, in order to be able to reach as good results and get out as much as possible from the program?
You don't really need to prepare in advance. At most, brush up on your statistics knowledge (descriptive statistics, probability, probability distributions, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing) in preparation for the core module in Business Statistics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi Everyone,

I have been admitted for MSBAC course for 2012 intake. I am from India, looking forward to an enriching and enjoyable experience at Warwick.

Although, currently I have some apprehensions and concerns about joining due to the current economic slowdown. I am paying for most of my education through a loan and looking forward to recover that as soon as possible.
I do see that some people have discussed around the same lines in the above posts, but would like to know about the job placements about the current or last years batch.
Also, if possible, could someone tell me about the prospects and recognition back in India.

On a different note, how well is the program being recognised globally? I mean, there are still very few universities that offer this kind of courses. Are companies preferring graduates with MSBAC course over regular Management graduates for profiles like Analysts.

Thanks in advance,

Ankie
I reckon this is a late reply and you must have already made your choice by now, but this could be useful for other students seeing this. As a current MSBAC student:

- I wouldn't say now's a good time to come to the UK. The MSBAC fees were doubled this year. In my opinion and that of many of my colleagues, this is a rip-off more than it has been. The course is simply not worth that much, especially if you're going to tie yourself financially with a loan.

- I cannot tell you about its recognition in India because I'm not Indian, but do not expect to be looked at favourably by employers just because you have taken the MSBAC. The reality is that if you have no work experience, you will have to apply for graduate schemes. You will be competing against undergrads and competition is fierce. Your having a postgrad degree will not help you through the initial hurdles of the process. Having a postgrad is just a ticked box nowadays. You might as well do a MSc in Zoology if that's what interests you, because in the eyes of graduate recruiters, it has the same value as the MSBAC.

Hope that helps in any way.
Reply 14
Thanks for this reply Dark Knight!

Yes I have made my choice and haven't joined this course! And looks like it is the correct decision for now.

Original post by thedarknight87
I reckon this is a late reply and you must have already made your choice by now, but this could be useful for other students seeing this. As a current MSBAC student:

- I wouldn't say now's a good time to come to the UK. The MSBAC fees were doubled this year. In my opinion and that of many of my colleagues, this is a rip-off more than it has been. The course is simply not worth that much, especially if you're going to tie yourself financially with a loan.

- I cannot tell you about its recognition in India because I'm not Indian, but do not expect to be looked at favourably by employers just because you have taken the MSBAC. The reality is that if you have no work experience, you will have to apply for graduate schemes. You will be competing against undergrads and competition is fierce. Your having a postgrad degree will not help you through the initial hurdles of the process. Having a postgrad is just a ticked box nowadays. You might as well do a MSc in Zoology if that's what interests you, because in the eyes of graduate recruiters, it has the same value as the MSBAC.

Hope that helps in any way.
Original post by ankie
Thanks for this reply Dark Knight!

Yes I have made my choice and haven't joined this course! And looks like it is the correct decision for now.

Smart move :smile: You should also be aware of the changes to the work visas in the UK as of this year, which make it very difficult for international students to find employment after they finish their studies. Yet another reason not to choose the UK for your postgrad studies, unfortunately!
Hi there,

I plan to apply for M.Sc Business Analytics and Consulting at Warwick for 2013 intake. I had a few questions regarding the application and would appreciate any help.

Firstly, what is the minimum GPA that Warwick looks for while shortlisting candidates plus what is a good GPA to secure some scholarship in this program?

Secondly, could anyone guide me on how to write a personal statement especially for this program? What kind of a candidate is WBS looking at while selecting a candidate?

Thanks for your time and would really be grateful for any help.

Regards,
Hello All,

Sorry about the spam, but i think the business/data analytics field has plenty of oppurtunities and I wonder anyone has recently finished this course from warwick? If so, could you please share your experience about the course.

thanks
Bigdataguy.

Quick Reply

Latest