The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Leighthesim
I was a three month temp over summer and they made my contract permanent, but if your just for xmas then when things calm down in January there may not be any shifts for you anymore- so you may not be kept, but if you make a good impression you may be able to get them to hire you again next year.

I do suspect that if you are at 664 (Canary Wharf) you wil only be there as a Christmas Temp. However as I said try and make a good impression and you never know.
Leighthesim
i would continue to wear the apron TBH, because the body warmers are really hard to wash if you get stuff on them- had to wash the three month old cream off mine anyway, then spilt milk on it so had to wash it, but it took hours to dry in the tumble dryer, if i had an apron it would be easier, i also wouldn't have got yogurt, cream and soup down my skirt on several occasions.

My blouse and bodywarmer finally arrived today I still have no skirt! I have decided that I will continue to wear a apron for the tine being. My Asm has suggested that I wear the apron under the bodywarmer, this seems a bit daft to me, as surley the idea of an apron is to protect the uniform. Also do you know if I have to wear it at full length now as I have a uniform blouse, or can I just wear it round my waist.
katerawlinson
My blouse and bodywarmer finally arrived today I still have no skirt! I have decided that I will continue to wear a apron for the tine being. My Asm has suggested that I wear the apron under the bodywarmer, this seems a bit daft to me, as surley the idea of an apron is to protect the uniform. Also do you know if I have to wear it at full length now as I have a uniform blouse, or can I just wear it round my waist.

I don't know, no one in my branch wears and apron the new people have all got either bodywarmers or ties. but since you have a body warmer if you wore black trousers you shouldn't need to wear an apron at all, but if you want to wear it then wear it underneath like your ASM said, or just don't wear the body warmer- i hardly wear mine, untill recently i have needed it after break and walking to there for 7am on monday morning it was quite nice to have.
I've just got my new uniform, and the leaflet for that says that the bodywarmer must be worn over the apron. I'm just glad I'm female, though, as it would be a pain to have to do the top button up and wear a tie!
Leighthesim
I was a three month temp over summer and they made my contract permanent, but if your just for xmas then when things calm down in January there may not be any shifts for you anymore- so you may not be kept, but if you make a good impression you may be able to get them to hire you again next year.

If I do make good impression and any vacancies do arise will they ask me or will they just want to hire new people. And if I do apply for other vacancies after my temp period finishes will I have a more likely chance or is this a no no.
Reply 1985
answermaquestion
If I do make good impression and any vacancies do arise will they ask me or will they just want to hire new people. And if I do apply for other vacancies after my temp period finishes will I have a more likely chance or is this a no no.

They may consider you for a vacancy, on the basis that you will of already got a foot in the door it is possible although unlikely.
Leighthesim
I don't know, no one in my branch wears and apron the new people have all got either bodywarmers or ties. but since you have a body warmer if you wore black trousers you shouldn't need to wear an apron at all, but if you want to wear it then wear it underneath like your ASM said, or just don't wear the body warmer- i hardly wear mine, untill recently i have needed it after break and walking to there for 7am on monday morning it was quite nice to have.

Thanks Leigh, the only reason why I am going to continue to wear it is that I'm a bit clumsy! I'd rather have that extra protection for the time being. According to personell you can wear it over your bodywarmer so I don't know where my asm got that from! Anyway when we get the new uniform everyone will have to wear it.
katerawlinson
Thanks Leigh, the only reason why I am going to continue to wear it is that I'm a bit clumsy! I'd rather have that extra protection for the time being. According to personell you can wear it over your bodywarmer so I don't know where my asm got that from! Anyway when we get the new uniform everyone will have to wear it.

OOhhh, sorry, if personnel have said you can where it over the top then don't worry what your ASM said, i can't wait for the new unform, our branch manager thinks it will be at least 3 months until we get it though.
katerawlinson

Trust me in the last couple of weeks, I have dropped Cranberry Juice, Mango Salad, Yoghurt, Eggs, Soup all down me. I don't know why more people don't wear the aprons, although I had no choice because I had no uniform!
Reply 1989
What discount, if any, do we get at John Lewis on video games, seeing if its worth the trip to get the new Call of Duty next week
mikey1
What discount, if any, do we get at John Lewis on video games, seeing if its worth the trip to get the new Call of Duty next week

12%
Reply 1991
Ahh ok not worth it then :frown:

And just a heads up for people in West Sussex area, a person on deli has just been sacked :frown:, so they're going to putting up a vacancy soon, just keep checking the vacanies online
no we get 15% as of sunday!!
all exiting,
as for the vacancy they are more likely to train someone else to do the deli, the position will be for checkouts or shelf stacking.
Reply 1993
Leighthesim
no we get 15% as of sunday!!
all exiting,
as for the vacancy they are more likely to train someone else to do the deli, the position will be for checkouts or shelf stacking.

Leigh that is incorrect you only get 15% in Waitrose and not in department stores, they remain at 12 and 25%.
Reply 1994
katerawlinson
Trust me in the last couple of weeks, I have dropped Cranberry Juice, Mango Salad, Yoghurt, Eggs, Soup all down me. I don't know why more people don't wear the aprons, although I had no choice because I had no uniform!

I generally do wear an apron, when I'm working. I work on the shopfloor on Fresh, espically when I'm doing frozen, juice and yoghurts, if we do wear the stripy aprons then they have to be worn at full height and worn over the bodywarmer.

I just find that on yoghurts I always drop them all over me, on juice something always leaks and on Frozen it is all damp and icey it is generally easier to get an apron wet than get the bodywarmer soaked.

We don't have indvidual ones oh, there is about 30 aprons hanging up in the warehouse and about 15 tabards. Which we just take when we want one, and have to wash it afterwards.

This is only started within the last couple of months , before they were put in the warehouse, they were only really worn by "oldies" but now most of fresh wear them most of the time along with most of Ambient.
Lucy King
I generally do wear an apron, when I'm working. I work on the shopfloor on Fresh, espically when I'm doing frozen, juice and yoghurts, if we do wear the stripy aprons then they have to be worn at full height and worn over the bodywarmer.

I just find that on yoghurts I always drop them all over me, on juice something always leaks and on Frozen it is all damp and icey it is generally easier to get an apron wet than get the bodywarmer soaked.

We don't have indvidual ones oh, there is about 30 aprons hanging up in the warehouse and about 15 tabards. Which we just take when we want one, and have to wash it afterwards.

This is only started within the last couple of months , before they were put in the warehouse, they were only really worn by "oldies" but now most of fresh wear them most of the time along with most of Ambient.

we don't have them on access, we have to ask for them, so only the oldies wear them, i would probally wear one if other people my age wore them. i keep gettin stuff down my skirt- and got milk down the sleeve of my body warmer yesterday (was filling it up and dripped it down)

I finished my stuff early today from fresh (done all that was left for me) and was helping on ambient, i have found out that i am absolutley hopeless in the dry goods isles, and the lack of stock rotation was just scary.
Reply 1996
Leighthesim
we don't have them on access, we have to ask for them, so only the oldies wear them, i would probally wear one if other people my age wore them. i keep gettin stuff down my skirt- and got milk down the sleeve of my body warmer yesterday (was filling it up and dripped it down)

I finished my stuff early today from fresh (done all that was left for me) and was helping on ambient, i have found out that i am absolutley hopeless in the dry goods isles, and the lack of stock rotation was just scary.

I suspect they only get worn all the time is because they are just hanging there in the warehouse. If people had to ask for them I suspect only the oldies would wear them. I personally just see it as Extra protection, espically as everyone seems to be in uniform preservation mode at the moment. I ordered some blouses ages ago and they have come in as asm/sm ones. Which I can wear providing I wear the Apron on top. It's just daft at the moment , you can't tell who is management and who's not!

We have been told that the Christmas Aprons must be worn by all non management this year, due to the uniform issues.
Lucy King
I suspect they only get worn all the time is because they are just hanging there in the warehouse. If people had to ask for them I suspect only the oldies would wear them. I personally just see it as Extra protection, espically as everyone seems to be in uniform preservation mode at the moment. I ordered some blouses ages ago and they have come in as asm/sm ones. Which I can wear providing I wear the Apron on top. It's just daft at the moment , you can't tell who is management and who's not!

We have been told that the Christmas Aprons must be worn by all non management this year, due to the uniform issues.

The white shirt ness of some of the newbies is quite confusing, i think in my branch they may be giving all the guys white shirts though, so theey all match, cause a load of the guys where given new white shirts yesterday. The thing that make the white shirt stuff worse is that they are shuffling round some of the ASM's at the moment, and they keep going on holiday, so you don't know if they have left and one of the new people if replacing them or something.

As for christmas aprons, i was going to where one, since we have some old ones at youth club that we were given as they say xmas 2007 on them, and i love wearing them they are great!
Reply 1998
Leighthesim
The white shirt ness of some of the newbies is quite confusing, i think in my branch they may be giving all the guys white shirts though, so theey all match, cause a load of the guys where given new white shirts yesterday. The thing that make the white shirt stuff worse is that they are shuffling round some of the ASM's at the moment, and they keep going on holiday, so you don't know if they have left and one of the new people if replacing them or something.

As for christmas aprons, i was going to where one, since we have some old ones at youth club that we were given as they say xmas 2007 on them, and i love wearing them they are great!

I don't understand why they can't come to some kind of "rule" regarding the lack of uniform, as I say we have people in SM/ASM blouses, shirts, people in black shirts from the intermim uniform with a green apron. It's just madness at the moment!

They may as well just start to role out the new business dress early just so branches are at least wearing some kind of correct uniform.

The Christmas Aprons this year are the same as the 2008 one's they have a Pear Tree on and have "Merry Christmas" under that. We have got to wear them from 1st - 24th December at my branch due to the uniform issues, they are quite long which will be a bit of a issue oh.
katerawlinson

I love my black apron with the intermim uniform, it is sooo useful, for keeping my knife, notebook and TU's in.

How people manage with the old uniform and no pockets really is madness.

Latest

Trending

Trending