The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
Leighthesim
Glad you think we are awesome......
But good luck on getting the position, you have applied for the best section! - fresh is great, i have been on fresh since i started, and when i did about half an hour on dry goods to help them at the end of a shift it was really alien.. the lack of stock rotation was really scary!!

I'm glad to know it's the best section & looking forward to 'possibly' working there soon :biggrin:

I got an interview scheduled for the 5th December so fingers crossed I'll make it through.

Have you got any tips...sort of essentials I should be aware of before I go to the interview?:o:

Thanks!! :smile:
Andrii
I'm glad to know it's the best section & looking forward to 'possibly' working there soon :biggrin:

I got an interview scheduled for the 5th December so fingers crossed I'll make it through.

Have you got any tips...sort of essentials I should be aware of before I go to the interview?:o:

Thanks!! :smile:

Dress smart and don't worry about it too much - be yourself and be nice to others :smile: Good luck.
Reply 2102
tiddlytom
Dress smart and don't worry about it too much - be yourself and be nice to others :smile: Good luck.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 2103
Images of the new confirmed new business dress, rolling out to all branches old and new from early next year:
Lucy King
Images of the new confirmed new business dress, rolling out to all branches old and new from early next year:

Looks quite good, can't wait, the only thing is with the apron it doesn't look like it will quite cover the bottom half of my skirt (which gets dirtiest)
Reply 2105
Leighthesim
Looks quite good, can't wait, the only thing is with the apron it doesn't look like it will quite cover the bottom half of my skirt (which gets dirtiest)

It probably will Leigh, just bear in mind it is more for "brand id" rather than protection it seems.

Are you going to wear the Christmas ones?
Lucy King
It probably will Leigh, just bear in mind it is more for "brand id" rather than protection it seems.

Are you going to wear the Christmas ones?

I spose that is true, it will be cool to have the name badge too, (but the way the leigh bit of my name is spelt is like a place near here so that could be interesting)

I think we are getting the christmas aprons but i am not sure, we havn't heard about them for a couple weeks. i hope we get them, it is going to be fun.
Reply 2107
Leighthesim
I spose that is true, it will be cool to have the name badge too, (but the way the leigh bit of my name is spelt is like a place near here so that could be interesting)

I think we are getting the christmas aprons but i am not sure, we havn't heard about them for a couple weeks. i hope we get them, it is going to be fun.

The christmas aprons will already be in branch as they are the same as last year, we all have ours already.
Lucy King
The christmas aprons will already be in branch as they are the same as last year, we all have ours already.

Oh right, well if other have got them our section will be last to get them probally (our SM if bad at giving out things, he keeps forgetting to give us our payslips), but i guess if were getting them we'll have them very soon.
Those aprons look like they will be "decorative" but not "useful". I wonder if your tall and working on the shopfloor if they will let you have a longer one. The short ones will be useless on tall people wont they?
kimxxkent
Those aprons look like they will be "decorative" but not "useful". I wonder if your tall and working on the shopfloor if they will let you have a longer one. The short ones will be useless on tall people wont they?

I find that the apron is fine... having said that I've not found getting dirty is a problem so far. I would say that I opted for the fleece jacket over the gillet and it is far too hot to wear, so might be worth bearing that in mind.
the shirt can be rolled up...it has a button just below the elbow and a little slip inside the shirt...pretty handy.
Wayheyyyyy its my branch's Christmas Party tonight
OMG, Im going to look like an Ice Cream Seller with the new uniform, im not looking forward to having to wear a long sleeve blouse (although the sleeves can be rolled up), also what is the point of wearing an apron under the jacket, also I hope they give you two name badges, one for your jacket and one for your apron.

I just hope we get it sooner rather than later.
.Scout.
Wayheyyyyy its my branch's Christmas Party tonight

Same!!
but i can't go cause i have been ill, i have paid and everything.
Was going to be awesome, but since i was meant to be working today and had to phone in sick it wouldn't look very good.
Laura Poole
OMG, Im going to look like an Ice Cream Seller with the new uniform, im not looking forward to having to wear a long sleeve blouse (although the sleeves can be rolled up), also what is the point of wearing an apron under the jacket, also I hope they give you two name badges, one for your jacket and one for your apron.

I just hope we get it sooner rather than later.

It's actually really nice... only get one name badge though, but our store is so warm that you don't ever need the jacket unless working on freezers or outside. For that reason, the fact that you wear the jacket over the apron is a bit of a non-issue as you'd boil with the jacket zipped up. The apron is more for decoration than function, I think, but it does protect your clothes a bit as well. Much nicer altogether than the 70s throwback old uniform!
sparklysparkles
It's actually really nice... only get one name badge though, but our store is so warm that you don't ever need the jacket unless working on freezers or outside. For that reason, the fact that you wear the jacket over the apron is a bit of a non-issue as you'd boil with the jacket zipped up. The apron is more for decoration than function, I think, but it does protect your clothes a bit as well. Much nicer altogether than the 70s throwback old uniform!

I wish my store was warm! It's freezing! We have 3 different entrances and 4 different exits so it's always blowing gales through the shop.

I don't have the old uniform, Ive just got a white blouse, and a tabard to wear (and that's probably all I will get!)

Shame you will only get 1 badge as 2 would be useful, but hey ho, do you keep the apron on all the time, or do you take it off the minute the shop shuts and when your in the warehouse, I understand it is down to branch management if their checkouts partners wear the apron, every branch I have seen wearing it, they are wearing it.

Anythings got to be better than the sickly blouse that there is now!

Laura
Reply 2117
hi,
does anyone know what the new discount rate is at john lewis?
and what things u can or can't get discount on? cheers
Laura Poole
I wish my store was warm! It's freezing! We have 3 different entrances and 4 different exits so it's always blowing gales through the shop.

I don't have the old uniform, Ive just got a white blouse, and a tabard to wear (and that's probably all I will get!)

Shame you will only get 1 badge as 2 would be useful, but hey ho, do you keep the apron on all the time, or do you take it off the minute the shop shuts and when your in the warehouse, I understand it is down to branch management if their checkouts partners wear the apron, every branch I have seen wearing it, they are wearing it.

Anythings got to be better than the sickly blouse that there is now!

Laura

Can't remember if the customer service people wear the apron - think they do. Ambient people just keep it on all the time (useful for keeping stuff in the pockets, as well). The only exception is that if you only work nights and never see any customers then you can opt for a poloshirt-sweatshirt combo instead.
Reply 2119
sparklysparkles
Can't remember if the customer service people wear the apron - think they do. Ambient people just keep it on all the time (useful for keeping stuff in the pockets, as well). The only exception is that if you only work nights and never see any customers then you can opt for a poloshirt-sweatshirt combo instead.

From what I have read it is down to individual management teams if they want there checkout parners to wear the apron. Some branches may say yes, no or it's up to the cashier. If they don't persumly they will have to bring it to the shopfloor as they have to be worn on the shopfloor by all non management.

I beleive we get ours in May.

Latest