The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matt4504
So I was recently offered a job at waitrose which is all good but I've just been told by uni that my placement is being changed from a 9-5 placement to one with shifts (inc weekends but not the same every week). What are the chances of waitrose being mega-flexible or should I just admit defeat and resign? :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

From working there a good year, you will most definitely not be able to get this much flexibility. You're given certain hours which you must stick too and they do not like it if you're constantly swapping shifts either. You could always speak to the Personnel Manager and explain your situation but they're likely to tell you what I have just said.

Good luck anyway!
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
I've just been made permanent wooo! :h:

Same! One year later hahaha!

That's another thing to notice by the way, you're not made permanent straight after your 3 months, my contract was temporary for 10 months on top of the original 3.
In a difficult situation as I was unemployed for a long period , only to get two interviews . The first job offer I received from a competing supermarket ( Though Waitrose has always been my first choice ) I took it and now im due to start this sunday .

I had a group interview with Waitrose around the same time as the other one but supermarket B got back faster and offered me the job ! Then Waitrose contacted me and I have my interview with them in a few days ! I would absolutely love to work for Waitrose but I already signed the contract with the other job so Im thinking I may to miss out on this oppurtunity :frown: , even if I leave the other job I have to give them two weeks notice and Im not sure if Waitrose would allow me to miss out on that time . (should it arise ofc).

If only Waitrose didnt take so long with their replies ...
Original post by GeorgeStottor
Same! One year later hahaha!

That's another thing to notice by the way, you're not made permanent straight after your 3 months, my contract was temporary for 10 months on top of the original 3.

I had my original 3 months then another 3 before being made permanent! Congrats though :tongue:
Reply 6924
Original post by Claudette
It's checkouts, SCO, welcome desk and kiosk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! i have my second interview tomorrow, do you know what kind of questions ill be asked or what things ill be doing?
Reply 6925
Original post by immieimmu1
Hey, that will either be the welcome desk or checkouts. Welcome desk is where customer queries get solved and well the checkouts is where you operate a till and complete customer transactions..

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you :smile: do you know what the second interview will be like?
Reply 6926
Hi all,

I've been working at Waitrose since Dec 2012, and my parents have just split up and are going through a sudden divorce. As a result, my mum wants to go away for Christmas. We're looking at going away from the 20th to the 28th December this year. I work 6:15 - 10 on Fridays and Saturdays, so I'd have to take 4 days off. I have enough holiday to do this, but I've read around that you cant take holiday in December.

Is there anyway I can do this? Can I ask someone else to cover my shift and take it unpaid? If I did this, would it also count as using my last 4 days holiday or could I then take this at other times during the year?

Thanks!
Original post by JHayward
Hi all,

I've been working at Waitrose since Dec 2012, and my parents have just split up and are going through a sudden divorce. As a result, my mum wants to go away for Christmas. We're looking at going away from the 20th to the 28th December this year. I work 6:15 - 10 on Fridays and Saturdays, so I'd have to take 4 days off. I have enough holiday to do this, but I've read around that you cant take holiday in December.

Is there anyway I can do this? Can I ask someone else to cover my shift and take it unpaid? If I did this, would it also count as using my last 4 days holiday or could I then take this at other times during the year?

Thanks!

If you want to take it as holiday, you will need approval from senior management. However, if they don't approve it as holiday, you should be able to take it as unpaid, but it will depend on your branch and whether anyone else has those days off :smile:
Reply 6928
Original post by Gnome :)
If you want to take it as holiday, you will need approval from senior management. However, if they don't approve it as holiday, you should be able to take it as unpaid, but it will depend on your branch and whether anyone else has those days off :smile:

Thanks for your reply! I talked to my SM and he told me to write a letter adressed to the branch manager asking for permission under special circumstances.
Original post by JHayward
Hi all,

Thanks!

If you take it unpaid at my branch you get put on your final warning! It's kind of annoying tbh
Hello everyone! I went for a group interview last Wednesday and was then invited for a second interview for the next day! It's been a week since and I've heard nothing! Any advice and should I ring?
Original post by WorryWarrior
Hello everyone! I went for a group interview last Wednesday and was then invited for a second interview for the next day! It's been a week since and I've heard nothing! Any advice and should I ring?

Waitrose/John Lewis tend to take some time before a reply is given to candidates. I say give it another week before you contact them. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6932
hey i have my second interview today, can anyone tell me what kind of questions they'll ask? x
Original post by etta95
hey i have my second interview today, can anyone tell me what kind of questions they'll ask? x

I did not have a second interview but I belive they will ask you questions such as provide examples of where you have delivered excellent customer service? What skills/qualities can you bring to Waitrose? As well as the number of hours you can work and the section you would prefer to work in. :smile:
I had my group interview a week ago and have received an email saying they are trying to job match me to a suitable position and I will hear back within 2-3weeks, application is on hold until then and if they can't, I'll be kept on file for 3 months.
The interviewer said after the interview they were not having the 2nd stage 1-1 interviews this time round.

Anyone else ever had their application on hold after the interview?
I am pleased it is not a flat out rejection, of course, wonder what my chances are of being job matched.
Thanks.
Reply 6935
Original post by mybarefootdrive
I had my group interview a week ago and have received an email saying they are trying to job match me to a suitable position and I will hear back within 2-3weeks, application is on hold until then and if they can't, I'll be kept on file for 3 months.
The interviewer said after the interview they were not having the 2nd stage 1-1 interviews this time round.

I am pleased it is not a flat out rejection, of course, wonder what my chances are of being job matched.
Thanks.

I've received the exact same email today. Is this for a new store?
Hi,

Yes it is.
Original post by mybarefootdrive

Thanks.

If its a new store then there is no second interviews, they basically have a massive grid which contains hours and shifts and they slot people in.

It depends on your flexibility etc, is it for a main store or a convenience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Morning everyone! First post on here because I really need advice!

I applied for a job in Waitrose last week - The Waitrose Deliver (picker) job. I had a telephone interview yesterday and really messed up - nerves got the better of me and I stumbled and didn't really answer her questions properly. At the end she told me I have a 1:1 interview this week, but do you think its too late to redeem myself? Will her decision already have been made based on the phone interview?
So angry with myself!!
Thanks alot if anyone can give me some advice!!
Original post by StanleyDog
Morning everyone! First post on here because I really need advice!

I applied for a job in Waitrose last week - The Waitrose Deliver (picker) job. I had a telephone interview yesterday and really messed up - nerves got the better of me and I stumbled and didn't really answer her questions properly. At the end she told me I have a 1:1 interview this week, but do you think its too late to redeem myself? Will her decision already have been made based on the phone interview?
So angry with myself!!
Thanks alot if anyone can give me some advice!!

If you've had a telephone interview, and been offered a one to one you haven't done badly at all.

It shows that they are interested in your application.

Go to the one to one with a open mind, I'm dreadful on the phone but really positive during a one to one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending