The Student Room Group

The Waitrose Thread

There seems to be endless Waitrose discussions on here at the moment so I have created just one thread.

I have worked at Waitrose for just over 2 years, I am a supervisor so I have quite a lot of knowledge.

If you want any questions answered, please feel free to PM me or post on here and I will try my best to give you an answer.

Thanks
Lucy
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1) Do they like to employ under 18 year olds?

2) If yes, do they usually get you stacking shelves? Or can they put you on the cashier in the clothing section or something?

3) What's the average hourly wage for under 18's? I heard it was around £5.50ph...

4) Is there a staff discount card? If so how many percent off? (Not really bothered, Waitrose is slightly more expensive anyway... :smile:)

Reply 2
moneyballs2
1) Do they like to employ under 18 year olds?

2) If yes, do they usually get you stacking shelves? Or can they put you on the cashier in the clothing section or something?

3) What's the average hourly wage for under 18's? I heard it was around £5.50ph...

4) Is there a staff discount card? If so how many percent off? (Not really bothered, Waitrose is slightly more expensive anyway... :smile:)

Q1) Yes they do.

Q2) You can work on any section of the branch at any age expect for office which you have to be 18. If you are under 18 you will not be able to authorise some transactions checkouts etc.

Q3) It depends on the branch location eg: london weighting etc, but it is roughly this you also get 21 days holiday per year.

Q4) There are 2 levels of discount Yellow and Red, Yellow cards are isssued after 3 months of service and get you 12% off in Waitrose and John Lewis, Red cards are issued after 1 year of service and give you 12% off in Waitrose and 25% off the majourity of stuff in John Lewis.

Thanks
Lucy
Reply 3
what items does the discount not cover?
can you get 25% of computers and tvs?
Reply 4
How long do they take to get back to people who apply (if they want them)?
Reply 5
have I missed my chance to get a job at Waitrose? I've gone in every week for the past month to ask if there are any jobs, and there aren't. I also look on the notice board. Will I have to wait till September when staff leave for uni?
Reply 6
mills
what items does the discount not cover?
can you get 25% of computers and tvs?

No these are only 12%. Below is a list of the items which you can only get 12% on:

Discount of only 12 per cent allowed on the following dissections in John Lewis:

Sewing machines 583 and 584
Fitted kitchens 807 and 808
Small electrical appliances 815, 855 and 856
Large electrical 817, 857 and 865 and 866
Audio and telecoms 823, 831, 833, 838, 859, 861 and 867
Vision 824, 825, 828 and 858
Computers, gaming and imaging 704, 708, 826, 827, 830 and 829
John Lewis Direct - purchase of flowers, hampers and wine from Waitrose Wine Direct (part of John Lewis Direct) - discount excludes the En Primeur service.
Partners buying a Virgin Experience via JL Direct will receive 12 per cent discount when paying with their partnership card.

Hope this helps.
Lucy
Reply 7
kayscout
How long do they take to get back to people who apply (if they want them)?

This depends on the branch personnel team, normally up to 2 weeks. Although this can vary from branch to branch. You will be then asked to come to a group interview and then if you pass that you will be asked to come back for a 1 to 1 interview, then an interview with your potential SM.

Hope this Helps.
Lucy.
Reply 8
Rob_dob
have I missed my chance to get a job at Waitrose? I've gone in every week for the past month to ask if there are any jobs, and there aren't. I also look on the notice board. Will I have to wait till September when staff leave for uni?

All vacancies for all branches are now available to view at:
http://www.jlpjobs.com/.

All branches now have online recruitmemt.

Hope this helps.
Lucy
I just got asked the most bizarre questions about my racial heritage by a Waitrose employee. Still, I like the food!
Reply 10
Lucy King
All vacancies for all branches are now available to view at:
http://www.jlpjobs.com/.

All branches now have online recruitmemt.

Hope this helps.
Lucy
I was looking at their website and it said that would happen on the 28th.
Reply 11
Qaali
I was looking at their website and it said that would happen on the 28th.

According to the partnerships secure extranet. It says it is now live in all branches.
Reply 12
I started at Waitrose on Fresh Foods yesterday (Sun 9-5.30, Tues 5.30-9.15), and I am REALLY struggling with product location.

I can handle looking around for where to place my stock, but when a customer asks for something it's just embarrassing, as I literally have no idea where anything is...

How did everybody else overcome this? Are there any tips to remembering all the product locations, or will they just come with time? :confused:

Thanks
How flexible is the work?
Could a 16 year old work only evenings/one evening per week?
Does one have to work a minimum amount of hours per week?
Do they allow part-timers to take holidays (unpaid)?
Reply 14
P2B
I started at Waitrose on Fresh Foods yesterday (Sun 9-5.30, Tues 5.30-9.15), and I am REALLY struggling with product location.

I can handle looking around for where to place my stock, but when a customer asks for something it's just embarrassing, as I literally have no idea where anything is...

How did everybody else overcome this? Are there any tips to remembering all the product locations, or will they just come with time? :confused:

Thanks

Oooh scary stuff... makes me nervous, i would just draw a rough sketch, plan of the whole store lmao.

My Q: After the final interview, how long til you actually start working? Whats mens uniform like for a normal dry foods guy?

Cheers
Reply 15
P2B

Thanks

Just ask another partner if you are not sure, explain to the customer that you are new, but products sold/not sold and locations will come in time. Customers will not be stroppy providing you find out and get back to them and make sure you engage them in coversation.
Reply 16
BrightLightsBigCity
How flexible is the work?
Could a 16 year old work only evenings/one evening per week?
Does one have to work a minimum amount of hours per week?
Do they allow part-timers to take holidays (unpaid)?

The vast majourity of partners work a 8 hours min per week. It is possible only to work evenings, but this depends on the branch. Part Timers will get a hoilday allowance, however unpaid leave is only allowed for certain reasons as is swapping shifts.
Reply 17
Mos Def
Oooh scary stuff... makes me nervous, i would just draw a rough sketch, plan of the whole store lmao.

My Q: After the final interview, how long til you actually start working? Whats mens uniform like for a normal dry foods guy?

Cheers

That depends generally about 7-10 days although this could be a shorter time. The uniform for a male on dry goods is:

Green Shirt
Tie
Trousers
Black Shoes
Apron (Optional)

Lucy.
Reply 18
Lucy King
That depends generally about 7-10 days although this could be a shorter time. The uniform for a male on dry goods is:

Green Shirt
Tie
Trousers
Black Shoes
Apron (Optional)

Lucy.

Ahh right, do we have to tuck our shirts in? lmao

Umm if your working full time in dry goods, whats the time schedule like? And what are the over time opportunities, i know its store dependent, but whats your one like for example, and if were free for overtime how do we sign up for it.

Thanks
Reply 19
Mos Def
Ahh right, do we have to tuck our shirts in? lmao

Umm if your working full time in dry goods, whats the time schedule like? And what are the over time opportunities, i know its store dependent, but whats your one like for example, and if were free for overtime how do we sign up for it.

Thanks

The time schedule depends on how the branch operates generally it can be 9 till 5, 9 till 6, 10 till 7 etc. But it depends from the branch. You do have to keep your shirts tucked in. You also have to do at least one late night per week and every other Saturday and possibly Sundays depending on the branch.

Latest

Trending

Trending