The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
DavyS
At one of my interviews, I was asked "how will you contribute to the college" and told that my "personal statement makes me look quite boring; what do you do apart from maths?" My answer for the latter was pretty poor (interesting in computer design; but love the arts e.g. theatre and reading as well - lead into a discussion about maths being a language etc.)

I got in. I think interviewers are interested in talking about ECs (both my interviews began with this), but am not convinced that it is the leading thing in anything. My application could essentially have been crossed through and had "I LIKE MATHS AND AM QUITE GOOD AT IT;" that's how I was marketing myself, as it were, and I got in. ECs do not help you get in, but I think are definitely used by the interviewers as a means of helping settle you into questions.

Or perhaps it's just a popular ice-breaker?:wink:
Reply 61
hobnob
Or perhaps it's just a popular ice-breaker?:wink:

-nods-

They asked everyone the same maths question; so it's a nice way to get a variety into the interview
Reply 62
Personally, I was not asked AT ALL about extra curriculars in my interviews (for Maths at Oxford).

In fact, 2 of my interviews were like "Hi, sit down, sketch this, now get out". No formalities or anything. So I figured this is how all interviews are like until I had my third one in which I was stunned when she asked me "What Maths do you like?" and then "How have you seen Maths apply to your other subjects?".
Reply 63
Drogue
For most subjects, this will depend on the tutor, not just the college. One tutor may care, another at the same college may not. Most tutors don't give two hoots about applicants being rounded people. A few do.

In this case, it's isn't subject-specific nor related to admissions; it's college-wide. But I agree that when it's to do with admissions, it tends to be the whims of one tutor and not a college-based attitude.
Reply 64
Lidka
In this case, it's isn't subject-specific nor related to admissions; it's college-wide. But I agree that when it's to do with admissions, it tends to be the whims of one tutor and not a college-based attitude.

What do you mean, not related to admissions? It definitely is. The point is you can't draw conclusions about what Oxford wants from what one or two tutors says, and neither can you draw conclusions about what's right for you from what Oxford generally wants. It depends partly on the subject (work experience is far more beneficial to a medicine application than a history one, for example) and largely on the individual tutor and their preferences. Take E&M for example - some tutors like a really strong maths background, some like a more rounded academic background. Generally taking maths is essential, and further maths and an essay subject useful, however the absense of an essay subject would matter more to some tutors than others, and the same with further maths.

The point for extra-curriculars is: do the ones you enjoy, mention them in passing in case the tutor who interviews you happens to want rounded people, but spend the bulk of the personal statement talking about academic things, which all tutors will care about. Relevant, academic extra-curriculars are always a big bonus, unrelated ones rarely matter much.
You have two candidates appyling for a course which only has 1 place ,they have exactly the same academic ability there is nothing to differentiate between them and they both performed the same at the interview, one is an Olympic rower and the other is Joe Generic. I have a feeling the Olympic rower will be preferred as he can contribute compared to Joe Generic.
Reply 66
Nobody performs the same at interview. And no, the rowing wouldn't factor at all. Well, unless the tutor happened to want rowers - most college societies are nominally headed by a member of the faculty, so if he happened to be very involved with the rowing club, he may be swayed. However that's just a rumour, I've never seen it taken into account. Generally, it wouldn't matter at all. They'd take who they preferred at interview, and no two interviews are ever exactly the same.
ceteris parisbis it would help.

of course it would. they would not look at it and go "omgz, he went to physics society, and he's applying for MATHS, duuuuude, thats a nono right there".

oxbridge are all about the academia though lol.
Reply 68
SouthernFreerider
ceteris parisbis it would help.

of course it would. they would not look at it and go "omgz, he went to physics society, and he's applying for MATHS, duuuuude, thats a nono right there".
If it's unrelated, I'd argue it'll probably have no effect at all. They're not bad, but they're not good, and personal statements have to be very short. The bad part is more in what you miss out to put them in.
Reply 69
It depends what the extracurricular activities are. Obviously something like debating will improve your individual research skills in terms of flexibility, processing, and organisation and help to improve your skills at debating which will make you, to some extent, a better applicant.

Being in a photography group is likely not to really going to help your application for many subjects.

Latest

Trending

Trending