The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You've just finished your GCSEs IIRC, right? So you don't have to worry about that for well over a year.
Reply 2
im so academic
I was just wondering if I was to do a science-based degree (excluding engineering but including natural sciences, physics etc...)

would I be like disadvantaged (can't find the right word to describe this) if I do take on a gap year???

would oxbridge or durham mind?

I can't speak for Durham, but I know Oxford *prefer* you not to take a gap year and Cambridge HATES gap years. I went to an open day and they said that they will only take someone planning on taking a gap year if they are a truly exceptional candidate.
Reply 3
Considering you've drastically changed your mind about what degree you're doing about a dozen times in the last month (and made few threads about it each time), it might be an idea to:

a) Start sixth form, when this sort of thing is getting close enough to actually matter
and
b) Hold on to an ambition for six months...or even one

before you start asking us such specific questions.

As far as I know, Maths is the only subject that it is really not recommended by most universities to take a gap year in. However, I don't imagine for something similar like physics, it would be ideal either, and Oxbridge in general aren't supposed to be too keen. It is best to ask the admissions tutors, in about a year.
Reply 4
Rubberband
Considering you've drastically changed your mind about what degree you're doing about a dozen times in the last month (and made few threads about it each time), it might be an idea to:

a) Start sixth form, when this sort of thing is getting close enough to actually matter
and
b) Hold on to an ambition for six months...or even one

before you start asking us such specific questions.

Quoted for abundant levels of truth.
Reply 5
Am doing Forensics, and took a gap year, and it was the best thing for ME to do. Its not down to what other people think, if you think you can take a gap year, and come back and get back into a working environment, then go for it! Before I booked everything I wasnt too sure if it was what i wanted, but I would not change my choice at all.

As regards to the unis, almost all unis look favourably towards Gap Years, including most oxford and cambridge courses, this is because you have actually got off your own backside, and gone and done something most others wont, it shows you have courage, character and the get up and go most people dont have. It also shows that your confident and can stick to something and people who take gap years are much less likely to drop out ( i think the drop out rate for first years who took a gap year was half of that of people who didnt. the uni wants 3 years worth of money out of you, so they are bound to look favourably if your going to stick to them!)

If you want any info on gap years or the like, PM me, my gap year included:

Thailand (10 months working at an world famous English International, A thai school, and an outdoor centre)
Malaysia
Cambodia
Laos
Burma
Bali
Australia
NZ
Fiji
Cook Islands
LA

This is the ONLY oppertunity you will ever get to explore the world and find out who you really are, and once that chance is gone, it is gone forever.
Reply 6
tommmmmmmmmm
You've just finished your GCSEs IIRC, right? So you don't have to worry about that for well over a year.

S(he) likes planning ahead. S(he) was talking about which postgrad courses to do when s(he) first joined.

Durham generally don't mind. I think the only department who usually don't like applicants taking gap years is the English department (as it's feckin awesome). Possibly history. But I'd get in touch with the departments you're looking to apply to.

But ANY university will want to be assured that you're taking a gap year for a good reason and that it'll be worthwhile. No university will take kindly to a student taking a gap year simply because they "fancy a break". You need solid plans.
Reply 7
Dougy_S

This is the ONLY oppertunity you will ever get to explore the world and find out who you really are, and once that chance is gone, it is gone forever.

Retirement?
Reply 8
Dougy_S

^^ or a year after uni/ career break?
Reply 9
Durham don't have a problem with it, Oxbridge do though I believe.
Reply 10
For Durham's policy in physics (see deferred entry)

http://www.dur.ac.uk/physics/undergraduate/policy/

Chemistry

"I want to take a gap year.
About 10% of our applicants apply to take a gap year. We welcome the maturity and knowledge that you will gain in a well-planned gap year. Our experience is that mathematical skills are more quickly lost than chemistry knowledge. We will send you a welcome pack in the August before you join us (one year after your A level results were published), but please contact us during your gap year if you need advice"

Biological science

"We treat all applications equally. Each year, approximately 25 places are held by deferred entry candidates"
Reply 11
magicbean
^^ or a year after uni/ career break?

true...however the year after uni u already have that whooping great debt over you, and a mid life break a) ur too old to do half the things you wanted to, and b) you will probably have commitments i.e. family of your own etc etc

Realistically, this is your ONLY oppertunity to live it properly, but no doubt i will attempt to go on another gap year...or 3! hehe!
Reply 12
River85
Retirement?

again, how many retired people want to do a gap year to discover who you are? Its a bit late by that point and your interests will have changed, this is the only time to do it before you grow into an old fart! hehe im dreading that day!
Reply 13
Dougy_S
again, how many retired people want to do a gap year to discover who you are? Its a bit late by that point and your interests will have changed, this is the only time to do it before you grow into an old fart! hehe im dreading that day!

Quite a number, actually, and it's becoming more and more popular (with career breakers and retired)

http://www.gapyearforgrownups.co.uk/-1bn-per-year----The-Rise-of-the-Retirement-Gappers

http://www.gapadvice.org/In-Retirement/

http://www.gap-year.com/browse.asp?catID=1277&showListing=1&listingID=1679&layout=1

There was one "gap year" African safari my friend was on. Half of them (a group of ten) were over 50.
IChem
I can't speak for Durham, but I know Oxford *prefer* you not to take a gap year and Cambridge HATES gap years. I went to an open day and they said that they will only take someone planning on taking a gap year if they are a truly exceptional candidate.

well i will say what you heard (or more likely interpreted) was rubbish! :rolleyes:

my brother has done a gap year and applied for cambridge maths and he got in - he will probably mind me saying this lol, but he is in no way 'truely gifted'

i think what you mean is that Oxbridge rarely give out deferred offers which is where you have to be truly special - in terms of gap years, if you apply in your gap year to Oxbridge they consider you equally etc
depends what you do.
Like say if you apply for chemistry and are going to spend the year working in a lab then they will probably like that

Latest