The Student Room Group

THE Beauty Product Review Society

Scroll to see replies

EmergingButterfly
hi guys i was looking for a good quality eye shadow palette with a mixture of different colours, what would be a good one to get?
MAC. You can buy the palette, and then fill it with whatever colours you want. It's not a cheap set, but it's superb quality and will last you a lot longer than the bog-standard high street palettes. Plus, they're refillable, so if you get bored with a colour, you can replace it with a different one. Highly recommended.
Ilora-Danon
MAC. You can buy the palette, and then fill it with whatever colours you want. It's not a cheap set, but it's superb quality and will last you a lot longer than the bog-standard high street palettes. Plus, they're refillable, so if you get bored with a colour, you can replace it with a different one. Highly recommended.

okay thanks!
Reply 82
Can anyone find the mac pallettes online?
I can find em on the US one but not UK...
Although i have just spent £200+ online @ Mac....

Shocking.....
^i cant find them anywhere either.. although there are a few on ebay..
Reply 84
Usually on ebay they arent real mac ones!
pah i'll have too get my cousin too send me one!
Reply 85
EmergingButterfly
hi guys i was looking for a good quality eye shadow palette with a mixture of different colours, what would be a good one to get?

If you like bright colours, No. 7 are doing a ranbow pallette at the moment and it's good cos you can mix and match colours! i'm liking blue and yellow at the moment :p:. This is the one:

http://www.boots.com/brandtreatment/product_details_brand_treatment.jsp?productid=1095066&classificationid=1052758
^ thats quite nice! i might get that.. the price is pretty good aswell! thanks
Reply 87
re the No 7 palette: because the colours are so varied and seeing as there's no 'divider' of some sort between colours, won't everything turn into a browny sludge-y colour after a while?
Reply 88
minimo
re the No 7 palette: because the colours are so varied and seeing as there's no 'divider' of some sort between colours, won't everything turn into a browny sludge-y colour after a while?

I don't know really, why would that happen?
Reply 89
I'm pretty sure I posted in here, but a thread's been merged. I'm very confused.
Reply 90
Becky_90
Just a couple of questions:

Can anybody recommend me some decent eyeshadow. The ones i tend to wear look nice on at first but dont last a whole night out, for example.

Also, smokey eyes. I try but never seem to be able to 'perfect' it, anybody have any tips etc?

Thanks alot :smile:

Decent eyeshadows: MAC pigments, or Prescriptives. They're honestly the only decent eyeshadows I've used that don't lose their colour or crease. Also use a decent eyelid primer to stop creasing; you have to prep your eyes.

Smokey eyes: either buy a palette of 3 colours, and layer them so that the lightest colour goes almost all the way up to your brow bone, the middle colour just colours your eyelid, and the darkest colour just lines your top lashes, and then blend. Slightly easier may be to just use a MAC pigment or Barry M Dazzle Dust to colour the eyelid all the way up from the top lashes, so that the colour fades as you get closer to the brow bone.

Gren1TI
(Mods is it possible to make this anonymous, if not, it’s OK but would be appreciated). :smile:

Hi everybody,

I’m a guy and I’ve had quite oily skin for a few years, and around my forehead and nose (T-zone I believe it’s called), and now I have really big visible pores and want to know what I can do about it cosmetically.

Being a typical straight guy, I don’t wear make-up and don’t want anything to be visible but my girlfriend said that these days, quite a few guys use some kind of pore minimiser or make-up that can’t be seen. I’m not a shy or nervous person but I can’t just walk into Boots and ask for a pore reducer and other make-up that is obviously for me! I know a lot of people that will never let me hear the end of it! :p:

So, I want to know if any budding beauty / cosmetic experts could recommend some simple and inconspicuous product for me. Your advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

It's not possible to physically minimise pores, only to reduce their appearance. However, I've found Clinique's to be excellent. Think it comes in a pink and green bottle.

WRT THE SOC IDEA: I think it's a great idea and I'm definitely in. However, we definitely need to keep editing the first post to include useful links. Start with my beauty review blog :wink: which has been going since last August :smile:
Right can people go back and edit their posts and put the reviews they've done in the titles and write it out properly (or not :p: ) and I'll begin to edit the first post for Melting Sugar. Angelil, do you mind posting your reviews in the thread, and also linking to your blog in your posts, i'll make sure/Melting Sugar will also mention your blog in the first post. :smile:
I get really puffy eyes because i never sleep enough. I got told it was water, and if you put a reaaaaly hot flannel under your eyes, the puffiness dissapears (although it comes back a few hours later). x
Reply 93
Water, lots of fruit and veg!

I don't know about expensive eye cream, but maybe you could just get some supermarket price moisturiser and try that, might do some good. I'm far too stingy to spend loads of poncy beauty products that probably don't work, but I'm willing to try a bit of moisturiser... anyway I think Gok Wan and his people or a similar tv show road tested a bunch and found that the Aldi own brand was one of the best, at £1.89 a pot... yeah, just buy whatever and see if it helps! Everyone's skin is probably slightly different in its reactions to moisturiser anyway, depending on what it's like to start with! Experiment.
Reply 94
YSL highlighter!
Reply 95
fanks :smile:

My blog is linked in my sig anyway, trouble is I've done over 100 reviews this year already so am loath to copy and paste them all...
Shall start reviewing some random things tomorrow :smile: Looking forward for when they start appearing!

-x-
Reply 97
Hi, i use a tinted moisturiser with SPF although i can't help thinking my foundation works alot better. Thing is, i really want the day cream from the No7 collection (when i get paid), but it doesn't have an SPF. Could i just get a foundation with an SPF and then wear my tinted moisturiser on days when i don't really feel like wearing make up? I like the confidence of having an SPF but is it always necessary?

Does anyone use tinted moisturiser?
So Im off on holiday next week :smile: and would like advice on what I should be buying in terms of skincare, hair care etc to look my best. Ive got fair skin so I don't want to burn but would love to get a tan...someone metioned tanning oil to me, anyone tried this??
Ive got blonde highighted hair which I dont want to get damaged by the sun or the water etc.
An suggestions would be great...plan on hitting boots on saturday to stock up
Thanks
heeey, sort of similar sitch as you!! make sure you protect your face with lots of sun screen, ive heard about the tanning oil thing but ive heard it also fries your skin...so not too cool! i think im gonna put some xen-tan on before i go, and let fade out as i get a natural tan (i take ages to tan naturally) take lots of leave in conditioner, when u get out of the water put this in and then wash out end of the day itll make your hair reallyu soft and not tangly. hope this helps a bit what else do you want to know?

Quick Reply

Latest