The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Ellie4
I'm going to bed. Nighty!

Wait, you haven't answered my question- and with my love already gone, i'm all alone :frown:
Reply 161
jumpunderaboat
What a stupid comment. I take maths but can still fully appriciate English Lit or History is just as hard, I expect there are plenty of others who feel the same despite being 'maths people'.

When I said that, I meant maths people who think maths is the only good subject.
Reply 162
AATTMM
When I said that, I meant maths people who think maths is the only good subject.

Fair enough.
Reply 163
AATTMM

i accept what you meant to say, but you really should have specified it
Reply 164
Agreed.
Reply 165
hi kelly! *waves* fellow eng litty people!!!!!! lol. eng lit honestly is really really hard nt easy @ all. i got an high a* @ gcse (nt bragging of course lol) but a level eng lit is really really really hard. i dnt think i can cope :'(
mockel
I was being sarcastic, because the poster was making a huge generalisation.

I, personally, would hate to do a subject like english, because I would find it extremely difficult. I actually have a lot of respect for people who do subjects that I have found diffiicult in the past.
And, I realise there are a lot of people who are being narrow-minded on this thread, but I don't like it when people say "it says a lot about maths people..." because just becasue I do maths (and am planning to do maths in the future), does not mean I am one of these people. :smile:

Exactly. Just because some people are snobby about their subjects doesn't mean everyone doing that subject is. I have a lot of respect for people doing maths and the sciences because I think I'd find them hard, but it's still annoying to be told by some smug git that my subjects are easy, worthless and/or generally inferior.
posh_git
hi kelly! *waves* fellow eng litty people!!!!!! lol. eng lit honestly is really really hard nt easy @ all. i got an high a* @ gcse (nt bragging of course lol) but a level eng lit is really really really hard. i dnt think i can cope :'(

Aww hang in there mate, I'm sure you'll do fine. I don't really enjoy half of my lessons cos one of my teachers is just so mega-strict even though we're in sixth form now- she still goes around with a really stern expression on her face and never laughs or jokes. Walk in a second late and she'll shout at you for 10 minutes. Miss one homework and she'll send a letter home- miss two and she'll probably kick you off the course! She really needs to lighten up. It's no wonder the class dropped from 30 to 6 people last year! It's even harder when you're not enjoying it, although my other teacher is great and the unit we're doing with her is good. I got a high A at GCSE (4 marks off an A* :mad: lol)
Reply 168
it's so unfair how some ppl tend to think that maths/science ppl are intellectually superior than arts ppl. according to that list my a-levels are probably not that respectable (eng. lit, classical civ, photography and hist. of art), but i honestly don't consider myself any less intelligent than any average maths/science person. and guess what, among my AS's, it was photography(which u list in the last group) which scored the lowest (a low A) despite *a lot of* effort and it was eng. lit. which turned out to be the easiest (a high A including a full-mark coursework, never done eng lit before and english is my second language! LOL sorry not trying to show off whatever, just to make a point!!). i know so many ppl who do maths further maths physics (esp. overseas asian students... they're all so good at maths!!!) who can't write a proper essay or read a book and who are in general quite ignorant of things outside their sphere of studies. *no offence!!* however i have to stress that i perfectly respect maths/science ppl, i just think we all have different talents and temperaments that's all.

i've chosen to do what i *like*, and i couldn't be happier!! =P
kellywood_5
He's basically implying that English lit is a doss, meaning he thinks he'd be able to get an A at A-level easily, and he got an A at GCSE. Well, so what? I got AA in GCSE science, but you don't hear me bragging about how biology/chemistry/physics are doss subjects and I could easily get As in them. A-levels are a lot more difficult and require a lot more effort, so you actually have to enjoy your subjects to suceed. According to my GCSE results, I have just as much ability in the sciences as I do in English lit, but I hate the sciences and I love English lit, so it would be pointless to do the sciences.

succeed*

well duh, no one is really going to pick subjects that do not interest them in the slightest........

i was just justifying imasillynarbs viewpoint saying that english lit does not come above physics

END OF.
HaggenDaZ
succeed*

well duh, no one is really going to pick subjects that do not interest them in the slightest........

i was just justifying imasillynarbs viewpoint saying that english lit does not come above physics

END OF.

Back to correcting spelling again? :rolleyes: That is so pathetic when people do that. Do you really have nothing better to do? English lit DOES NOT come above physics, but physics DOES NOT come above English lit. They are EQUAL! It's pointless trying to 'rank' subjects.

END OF.
Reply 171
kellywood_5
Back to correcting spelling again? :rolleyes: That is so pathetic when people do that. Do you really have nothing better to do? English lit DOES NOT come above physics, but physics DOES NOT come above English lit. They are EQUAL! It's pointless trying to 'rank' subjects.

END OF.

Wait! If they are all equal, then why don't I do an English degree? Since they are all 'the same,' then my maths and physics must come in handy for english :smile:

(sorry, i'm only kidding :biggrin:)
kellywood_5

END OF.

well you said you are doing english based subjects. it's not pathetic, i'm just helping you..... you could lose a mark in your exam which could mean a whole grade!

Maybe English language equals physics, but definitely definitely NOT english literature.
HaggenDaZ
well you said you are doing english based subjects. it's not pathetic, i'm just helping you..... you could lose a mark in your exam which could mean a whole grade!

Maybe English language equals physics, but definitely definitely NOT english literature.

Then why is English literature so much more respected than English language? :rolleyes:
kellywood_5
Then why is English literature so much more respected than English language? :rolleyes:

they're both micky mouse subjects anyway, but english lit is less respected in my opinion than english lang. english language at gcse is absolutely compulsary, eng lit isnt as much so

fact of matter: english literature doesnt touch physics k thx bye
Reply 175
Geology was missed off the original list. My boyfriend is very angry :tongue:
Reply 176
Hmm.. 'Mickey Mouse subjects'. Let's discuss this. So.. something being compulsory makes it 'respected'?
nono, im just saying that english language in my opinion would be a little more respected than english literature....it being a compulsary sub. does reinforce this idea a little........ but not by much as they both suck

the point of the matter is, is that english literature is not as respected as physics
Reply 178
Again... another ignorant generalisation: 'they both suck'

WHY?!
in comparison to physics they do not compare

never put english lit over physics - ever

Latest