The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

amo1
only top 20 charge top up

Last time I saw Queen Mary are charging the full fee.
kellywood_5
Yep, exactly, which means people from working-class backgrounds will once again be put off from applying to unis like Oxbridge. And the class system returns to haunt us...

I just don't understand how people can be put off by £3,000 tuition fees. You don't have to pay a penny of fees upfront! You only have to start paying that off once you're earning over £15,000 a year once you've graduated. So you have to pay £9-12k for a university degree. For the vast majority of people that's a bargain as most will earn so much more than that because they have a degree - isn't the average difference between having a degree and not £120,000 over a working life (this is an official, not a flawed government statistic). And the less affluent won't have to pay anything, just like ~40% don't pay tuition fees right now. And the cost of living (university accommodation, food, books etc) should be easily affordable with just a bit of paid work, which if not done during termtime can be done over vacation(s).
Reply 42
I don't know what you lot are worried about ne 1 who applied this year for 2005 entry or for defferend entry in 2006 aren't even gonna b affected by the top up fees as it comes in for ppl applying next year.
Reply 43
meawinner
I don't know what you lot are worried about ne 1 who applied this year for 2005 entry or for defferend entry in 2006 aren't even gonna b affected by the top up fees as it comes in for ppl applying next year.

so true :smile:
Article today in our student paper reveals that whilst 'Oxbridge' applicants have gone down 1%, it's gone up at Oxford and down at Cambridge.

Latest

Trending

Trending