The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hey! Well most prospectuses list the following 6 as the most common fields that English graduates go on to :

Journalism
Media
Advertising
Publishing
Law (through conversion course)
Finance
Teaching :biggrin: :cool:
Reply 3
recurring
What sort of career prospects can you do with an english degree? I was wondering as i was thinking of doing one and there are so many people applying per place.

Thanks in anticipation

I intend to do a postgraduate degree, then hopefully become a lazy academic and hang around the university doing the occasional lecture and writing books with very low print runs.
Mr White
I intend to do a postgraduate degree, then hopefully become a lazy academic and hang around the university doing the occasional lecture and writing books with very low print runs.

Thats what I might do, since I haven't a clue what else I want to do!
i want to go into journalism.
i think you can do quite alot with an english degree.
I want to work in journalism and media.
teaching, teaching, and err... teaching
Reply 8
supposedly with a degree like english, which develops your analytical abilities and writing skills, you can go onto pretty much anything, providing you do the appropriate postgraduate course. the same is true of many courses i think - very few are directly vocational!
recurring
What sort of career prospects can you do with an english degree? I was wondering as i was thinking of doing one and there are so many people applying per place.

Thanks in anticipation

Teaching, Law,

Almost anything, really it can get you onto all sorts of postgraduate courses.
Reply 10
It can get you onto all kinds of postgrad courses but it isnt much good on its own. If you want to get into journalism you need to have done alot of work exp and be familiar with all the software packages the same goes with publishing. Even having a first won't get you into those careers without tons of work exp.
recurring

Thanks in anticipation

Lots. Like for instance you've a good chance of easily getting a government job with a degree majoring in English, and also in journalism and the media.

For example even tho when I get to uni (still got some time to go tho) I wanna study marketing and/or business, I may still do a few English modules anyway as an extra elective to go along with the subjects in the degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending