The Student Room Group

pre-reunification german school systems A2

Hiya,
I'm in the middle of a project for German A2..
I'm trying to find information about the school system in West and East Germany before the re-unification.
Am I right in saying nowadays it is not any different in either East or West Germany?

I am under the impression that they were different before Gemany was united..
If anyone could give me some informationon this, which I could put into my presentation, I would be very grateful.

Thank-you!x
i believe that there is more of a variation between each Laender rather than between West and East because the education system is controlled at local level not centralised in Berlin, (now waits for Hobnob or Fleece to correct me)
Reply 2
davireland
i believe that there is more of a variation between each Laender rather than between West and East because the education system is controlled at local level not centralised in Berlin, (now waits for Hobnob or Fleece to correct me)

Yes, that's right.
Reply 3
yea but i think it is pretty similar in all of germany nowadays. All states have the same 3 tier system
Reply 4
smarty
yea but i think it is pretty similar in all of germany nowadays. All states have the same 3 tier system

Yes, but until fairly recently not all Länder had a Zentralabitur, for example (actually there may still be some which don't have it), and there are still differences in terms of syllabuses, exam regulations and the subject combinations which are permitted.
Reply 5
hobnob
Yes, but until fairly recently not all Länder had a Zentralabitur, for example (actually there may still be some which don't have it), and there are still differences in terms of syllabuses, exam regulations and the subject combinations which are permitted.

that must only be left in some states in the north east?????????
Reply 6
davireland

So do you reckon it would be ok if I just said something along the lines of:
The school systems in Easta nd West Germany are relatively similar, and generaly follwo the concept of education being compulsory between the ages 6-16. Outside fo these age brackets, there is a creche, a kindergarten, vocational training and university - with the compulsory aspect of the system being the hochschule..
The german school system tends to differ between states (bundeslaender) more than between west and east..for example, the G8 is not put into practice in Reinland Pfalz..

Would something like that be ok do you reckon - it's only meant to be brief..

thank-you for everyones help!x

Latest

Trending

Trending