The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Do you think they will look at GCSEs when for applicants in 2010 because of tghe A* in A levels
Reply 81
jj11
Do you think they will look at GCSEs when for applicants in 2010 because of tghe A* in A levels

Of course they will.
Reply 82
jj11
Do Oxford and Cambridge (Oxbridge)take GCSEs strictly. Does anyone know the minimum number of A*s needed for Oxbridge if they look at it strictly

The average is around 7A*.
Reply 83
Minimum isn't really there, but you will probably need a good BMAT to make up for poor GCSE's.
Reply 84
does every applying for medicine need to do BMAT or UKCAT (is it hard)
Reply 85
People seem to be reading lots into stuff here and creating scenarios of "Make up for" various things. The minimum requirements are those in that year's prospectus. To be honest, it works like this, as I have seen it: Look at results page and add things up. If it adds up to x or above they keep reading, if it doesn't they throw it away. Numbers greater than x don't really confer any advantage because an A* or B in GCSE French doesn't make any discernible difference in the standard of doctor produced.

The next stage can differ significantly between schools; some will invite everyone at this stage to interview whereas others will try and make a scoring system with the personal statement. Again, same system as above applies. Work experience of some kind or another is now an absolute requirement for pretty much every school. I can tell you for nothing that here, lack of work experience means lack of place, end of story.

Interviews are the more subjective element. There are certain objective criteria that must be met and which will allow you to be scored against other candidates, but much of it depends on your performance on the day and how you respond to a particular selector's style of question. The challenge of an interview is being able to stand up straight and be polite under fairly intense pressure and then put forward a clear and objective argument about why you are better than the other guy, all the time fighting the more subjective challenges. I know some really rather fantastic candidates who failed a round of interviews one year and passed with colours the next. But you can only get to that stage with an application that has all the basics present and correct.

Does that offer any clarification? Again, check all your facts against current prospectuses because "My sister in 2004 did such and such" stories go out of date. I mean, almost everything about my application is out of date now and I'm only halfway through medschool, all my information comes from being on the other side of the fence this year.
Reply 86
AEH
People seem to be reading lots into stuff here and creating scenarios of "Make up for" various things. The minimum requirements are those in that year's prospectus. To be honest, it works like this, as I have seen it: Look at results page and add things up. If it adds up to x or above they keep reading, if it doesn't they throw it away. Numbers greater than x don't really confer any advantage because an A* or B in GCSE French doesn't make any discernible difference in the standard of doctor produced.

The next stage can differ significantly between schools; some will invite everyone at this stage to interview whereas others will try and make a scoring system with the personal statement. Again, same system as above applies. Work experience of some kind or another is now an absolute requirement for pretty much every school. I can tell you for nothing that here, lack of work experience means lack of place, end of story.

Interviews are the more subjective element. There are certain objective criteria that must be met and which will allow you to be scored against other candidates, but much of it depends on your performance on the day and how you respond to a particular selector's style of question. The challenge of an interview is being able to stand up straight and be polite under fairly intense pressure and then put forward a clear and objective argument about why you are better than the other guy, all the time fighting the more subjective challenges. I know some really rather fantastic candidates who failed a round of interviews one year and passed with colours the next. But you can only get to that stage with an application that has all the basics present and correct.

Does that offer any clarification? Again, check all your facts against current prospectuses because "My sister in 2004 did such and such" stories go out of date. I mean, almost everything about my application is out of date now and I'm only halfway through medschool, all my information comes from being on the other side of the fence this year.

Well said AEH, everything explained clearly and concisely.
Reply 87
jj11
does every applying for medicine need to do BMAT or UKCAT (is it hard)

Yes and yes or no.

Don't forget that you may find the UKCAT or BMAT easy but then there will be other people better suited to these tests than you who get amazing marks, and so compared to them may not be very good. Generally, the UKCAT and BMAT tests are pretty challenging.
Hello, i was wondering how do university's feel about GCSE resits? do they hate them? & another thing, which year do you sit the BMAT/UKCAT? 12/13? :smile:
UKCAT is in the summer after year 12. BMAT is in Autumn of year 13.
Reply 90
LittleMissTwinkle
Hello, i was wondering how do university's feel about GCSE resits? do they hate them? & another thing, which year do you sit the BMAT/UKCAT? 12/13? :smile:

GCSE resits aren't really on the menu as far as a medical school application goes I'm afraid. Whatever you've got is yours to keep.
AEH
GCSE resits aren't really on the menu as far as a medical school application goes I'm afraid. Whatever you've got is yours to keep.

OH RIGHT.
Reply 92
Was there something wrong there or just a caps lock thing sorry?
no, sorry i had just left it on caps lock
Reply 94
No worries.
just for the record, ant is actually wrong on one thing:

GCSE min reqs are not always on the prospectus. Check with the university prior to applying.
Reply 96
If you have not exceeded the GCSE minimum requirtements by a very long way (except with a good excuse) you will probably not get looked at.

AEH is generally right, but most med schools do take into account high GCSE grades and some still include them in the assesment after interview.
Reply 97
This "Exceeding requirements by a very long way thing" doesn't work. A university has no grounds to reject you solely on GCSE grades if they have previously stated that they are high enough, they would leave themselves open to legal action. The only way this would work is if they were using a sliding scale for interview, calling the highest grades first and working down. Perfectly possible there are places that do that though, if you happen to know any?
Reply 98
I thought GCSE resits were alright and it was just A Level resits which werent allowed...:s-smilie:
Reply 99
GCSEs aren't really exams people resit anyway, at least they weren't in my day. Although my day was 2002. Either way, I've never heard of anyone resitting GCSEs until the person in this thread mentioned it earlier, its not something that medical schools talk about and, when you're in an application process with 2000 5A*+ candidates, its not something on your agenda either.

Latest

Trending

Trending