The Student Room Group

Distance learning a levels??!

Anyone doing a levels at school through distance learning?
Just wondering what its like and if its any good?!
Reply 1
I have partly done it.. It all depends on your work ethic basically, as it's very easy to not do work and do other things instead..
i will be starting GCSE LAW in september through distance learning. Am looking forward to it. We do it through a web cam in the school and talk to our tutor in england.
Reply 3
I'm hopefully going to be doing psychology distance learning (AS)in september but not entirely sure what it entails.
do you need to go through a school to do an A level... I'm American... do you know anyway we could do it?
123monster
do you need to go through a school to do an A level... I'm American... do you know anyway we could do it?

no. i'm not sure about america, but if you wanted to take the course and not in a school, then you'd simply just study the material and then pay to do the exam. normally you'd need to go to a place that is an exam place to actually sit the exam, like a school. but some of my friends who sit their exams abroad (one in France and another in Spain) each just learn the course via books and the internet, then someone from the exam board goes to their house and invidulates the exam there.

(this is my 1000th post :biggrin:)
123monster

Distant learning program such as "oxford open learning" then some how sit your exam over here??

Ain't american grades equivalents to english A-Levels??
SpiritedAway
no. i'm not sure about america, but if you wanted to take the course and not in a school, then you'd simply just study the material and then pay to do the exam. normally you'd need to go to a place that is an exam place to actually sit the exam, like a school. but some of my friends who sit their exams abroad (one in France and another in Spain) each just learn the course via books and the internet, then someone from the exam board goes to their house and invidulates the exam there.

(this is my 1000th post :biggrin:)

how would you go about it?
Ukazi-TazZy
Distant learning program such as "oxford open learning" then some how sit your exam over here??

Ain't american grades equivalents to english A-Levels??

american grades being equal to A level is really confusing to explain... basicly an A- level would prob be equal to some undergraduate credit here...
I want to take an A level in design... I like the way it's taught in England where they put a big focus on research...

oxford open learning doesn't offer a levels in design :frown:
123monster
how would you go about it?

i'm not sure. i assume you just book yourself in for an exam at a school/college, pay and somehow find out the syllabus. i've never done it myself so i wouldn't know for sure, so i don't want to guide you wrong.
Reply 10
All I can say, from experience is, if theres any other option such as part time classes etc. then take them dont think distance learning is an easy option and only take it as a last resort.
Purple
All I can say, from experience is, if theres any other option such as part time classes etc. then take them dont think distance learning is an easy option and only take it as a last resort.

I'm used to distance learning... and I'm quite good at it... I'm almost a third through my BA and I'm 13...
Reply 12
123monster
I'm used to distance learning... and I'm quite good at it... I'm almost a third through my BA and I'm 13...

:confused:
Reply 13
123monster

What company do you use?
Reply 14
Kate1234

what is distant learning?
Kate1234

How do you do distance learning at school?

I did A level Biology this year at home. AS's in jan and A2's in june. woop. not.
TTTA
What company do you use?

I don't use a company... I have a teacher with whom I decide on what classes I'm taking each semester and how to go about to study and get tested. I do a lot of hands on learning and travel. I'm usually tested with college level proficiency exams, such as CLEP, DANTE, and NYU.
I'm going to be getting my BA through a distance learning school such as Excelsior... Thomas Edison...
Oxford distant learning college is by far the worst educational establishment I have ever been enrolled in. The college is a business and is only interested in the money students provide rather than helping to educate them.Useful information from the college or tutors that would aid you in writing an assignment is pretty much non-existent. You are not paying to be educated you are paying for a qualification (which for many will not arrive due to the complete lack of help). The online material you are provided with is very poor and could be found in a text book. The feedback you are provided after each assignment is also not very useful.If you require a reference for university or your predicted grades additional cost will incur. Like I said it is a business. I would not recommend this college to anyone and I would advise anyone trying to achieve a qualification to go through a proper educational establishment.Best of luck...
Studying through ics is the best
If you are dedicated, then distance learning is a great way to complete that extra subject which may not be available at your school.

Make sure you give it the same effort and time as your normal classroom based courses and you should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending