The Student Room Group

Does anyone work at Matalan?

Hi,

Does anyone work at Matalan, what is it like? What's the pay like?

Thanks.

Stacy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I worked there last summer, pay was 4.61.

It's fairly standard, just serving customers and putting out stock. It gets annoying having to ask people for their Matalan card because you have to have one to buy from the shop and some people don't and some forget it.

But I can think of worse jobs.

Also the pay may have gone up since last summer.

Hope that helps, anything else just ask :smile:
Reply 2
bekahchu

It's fairly standard, just serving customers and putting out stock. It gets annoying having to ask people for their Matalan card because you have to have one to buy from the shop and some people don't and some forget it.

Hey, thanks for the reply

How did you apply for a job there and what kinda hours did you work?
Reply 3
stacy_j91
Hey, thanks for the reply

How did you apply for a job there and what kinda hours did you work?

I just went in and asked for an application form, filled it out and handed it back. Had an interview and stuff.

I only worked 8 hours at the weekend but over summer there's always lots of overtime.
Reply 4
bekahchu

How long did they take to reply?I applied like a couple of days ago.
Reply 5
Sine

A couple of days to a week as far as I remember.
Reply 6
To do they reply if u have been rejected?
Reply 7
bekahchu
A couple of days to a week as far as I remember.

Sorry forgot to quote u.Do they reply if u have been rejected?
Reply 8
Sine
Sorry forgot to quote u.Do they reply if u have been rejected?

I don't know because they didn't reject me!
Reply 9
Sine

Couple of weeks ago now I know, but just in case you are still wondering and haven't heard back from them yet, I handed in an application form about this time of year 3 years ago, I heard nothing back from them until September that year when they rung and asked if I was still looking for a job. So went in for an interview and nearly 3 years later I'm still there.
The pay varies from store to store, depending on the location. At my store the pay is £5.69 for ages 19 and over (can't remember for under 19), but the next nearest store has a higher pay because they are slightly nearer to London.
You decide what hours you can work by filling in an availability form (saying which days you can work and which times of day), then they will rota you in for shifts within your availability, usually 4 hour shifts but if you are contracted for more hours then maybe 8 hour shifts. But you can discuss all that with management as to what you would prefer to work.
Anymore questions feel free to ask, I'm not an expert but I've been there too long, I know a fair bit.
Reply 10
hobo06
Couple of weeks ago now I know, but just in case you are still wondering and haven't heard back from them yet, I handed in an application form about this time of year 3 years ago, I heard nothing back from them until September that year when they rung and asked if I was still looking for a job. So went in for an interview and nearly 3 years later I'm still there.
The pay varies from store to store, depending on the location. At my store the pay is £5.69 for ages 19 and over (can't remember for under 19), but the next nearest store has a higher pay because they are slightly nearer to London.
You decide what hours you can work by filling in an availability form (saying which days you can work and which times of day), then they will rota you in for shifts within your availability, usually 4 hour shifts but if you are contracted for more hours then maybe 8 hour shifts. But you can discuss all that with management as to what you would prefer to work.
Anymore questions feel free to ask, I'm not an expert but I've been there too long, I know a fair bit.

umm thanks but,I phoned them up and they said that the place had already been filled.....:frown:
Reply 11
Ah that sucks, but they might keep your application form and get back to you around September time like they did me. I was employed as a christmas temp but was then offered a permanent job. But obviously no good if you already have a job by then
Reply 12
stacy_j91
Hi,

Does anyone work at Matalan, what is it like? What's the pay like?

Thanks.

Stacy

ok trust me DONT DO IT!!
i worked there for a year and was a head cashier and there is soooo much better out there!!

dont get me wrong the poeple who work there are kl but the managers will treat u like s**t and will screw around with your pay!!
Reply 13
kingy1990
ok trust me DONT DO IT!!
i worked there for a year and was a head cashier and there is soooo much better out there!!

dont get me wrong the poeple who work there are kl but the managers will treat u like s**t and will screw around with your pay!!

Firstly, it depends on the store/management. And secondly, it's a bit of late warning over a year after the thread was posted :rolleyes:
Reply 14
hobo06
Firstly, it depends on the store/management. And secondly, it's a bit of late warning over a year after the thread was posted :rolleyes:

lol appologies didnt look at the dat i will for future reference
Reply 15
Hi does anyone know how often you get paid at matalan? And what the cut off point is? I have started 2 weeks ago and I were wondering which day I get paid?someone told me it's Thursday is that true?
Reply 16
Original post by LOLLLLL
Hi does anyone know how often you get paid at matalan? And what the cut off point is? I have started 2 weeks ago and I were wondering which day I get paid?someone told me it's Thursday is that true?

Assuming it hasn't changed since I was there (still have friends there and last I heard it was the same), on a permanent contract, it's every 4 weeks. On a temporary contract, every week. Both are usually on a Tuesday.
Hi, I've been with Matalan for last two weeks but I haven't get paid yet and I'm on a temporary contract, working 4 hours every Saturday. Does anyone know when I get paid?
I have just got job at matalan Nd was told that u get paid every week for the first 13 weeks and if they keep you on it goes to monthly pay
[QUOTE="fundraiser07;65727395"]Hi, I've been with Matalan for last two weeks but I haven't get paid yet and I'm on a temporary contract, working 4 hours every Saturday. Does anyone know when I get paid?[/QUOTEWhdn

When did they end up paying you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending