The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
Original post by james-brown28
Nice vid, sexy descending :wink:
I want a Giant TCR Advanced soo bad, I love my cannondale, but I'm a bike whore :tongue:

It's the Cardigan street racing criterium, amateurs from all over are coming to ride it, I'm scawed :frown: ;p

I love bike shops :daydreaming: :wink:
was it a good ride? :')

I've got a 2009 TCR Alliance <3 She's a beauty. And nearing perfection... All she needs now is a fiz:ik seatpost & saddle, pink Chris King H/set, new (pink) bar tape, a nice set of Easton carbon forks and full Dura Ace (Yumeya) :love:

It's a nice shop (most of the time)

And always a lovely ride! Wearing my Rabobank strip :wink: A nice tail wind, took me about 45 minutes, which isn't fantastic, but given that I had to stand for the rest of the day, it's acceptable!

You can do it!!!

and Giant>Cannondale... (from a suppliers pov)
You have a CAAD 9 don't you?
Reply 2101

Usually 40 - 60km/24 - 37miles It's not mega distance, but I ride ALOT of hills, my favourite ride which I ride most has two 3-4mile long climbs XD

I like hills, but I'm a skinny bugger (58kg :tongue:) so I'm semi decent at them. That's why I'm worried about this criterium, cuz I'm so light the smallest bump throws me out of the saddle and I don't have much power on the flat :colondollar:

I'm just going to find the biggest rider in the field and draft off his wheel :wink:

I've posted this before, and it probably doesn't interest you :tongue:, but this is my fave route with the two monster hills:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/44366430

You should use this website to map yourself a route :')
A good thing to do is something like 'Roobsa' He's planned a 4 mile route which he can do laps on, so if you're not feeling good it's easy to bail but if you're feeling strong you can push on and do extra laps :')

I took a look at your favourite route and you're right; you really do like long climbs!

I'm sure you'll be fine in Sunday's race. Just race intelligently/tactically.

I will use the website you posted to plan a route. I'm not sure whether to do "laps" or not. I don't like it being easy to bail and go home because I like to push myself. If I set a target distance I'll be much more determined to reach it.

I must get my bike ready for action in the next few days so I can get out Thursday/Friday. I'm really looking forward to it actually.

Out of interest, how long does it take you on average to cover approx. 60km?
There is nothing to perk you up at the beginning or end of a working day than cycling 7 miles to and from work :smile: It's revelation. My entire life I've been arriving at work grumpy and exhausted. Who knew that cycling there would make me feel so good about things? :p:
Reply 2103
Original post by ukebert
There is nothing to perk you up at the beginning or end of a working day than cycling 7 miles to and from work :smile: It's revelation. My entire life I've been arriving at work grumpy and exhausted. Who knew that cycling there would make me feel so good about things? :p:

This is so true!! I love the endorphin rush! :biggrin:
Original post by owliver
I've got a 2009 TCR Alliance <3 She's a beauty. And nearing perfection... All she needs now is a fiz:ik seatpost & saddle, pink Chris King H/set, new (pink) bar tape, a nice set of Easton carbon forks and full Dura Ace (Yumeya) :love:

It's a nice shop (most of the time)

And always a lovely ride! Wearing my Rabobank strip :wink: A nice tail wind, took me about 45 minutes, which isn't fantastic, but given that I had to stand for the rest of the day, it's acceptable!

You can do it!!!

and Giant>Cannondale... (from a suppliers pov)
You have a CAAD 9 don't you?

Aaah...stop making me jelly! :wink:

That's not a bad time :') Depending on the terrain, probably better than me :mmm: Rabobank strip :five:

I do :yep:

Giant is probably better, but the CAAD9 frame is the best alu frame ever XD

Any pics of your TCR? :gah:

Original post by HR--
I took a look at your favourite route and you're right; you really do like long climbs!

I'm sure you'll be fine in Sunday's race. Just race intelligently/tactically.

I will use the website you posted to plan a route. I'm not sure whether to do "laps" or not. I don't like it being easy to bail and go home because I like to push myself. If I set a target distance I'll be much more determined to reach it.

I must get my bike ready for action in the next few days so I can get out Thursday/Friday. I'm really looking forward to it actually.

Out of interest, how long does it take you on average to cover approx. 60km?

I do...they're fun XD

Thanks...you give me hope :moon: :wink:

That's a good strategy, for me getting out the door is the hard part, once I'm cycling I'll always do what I set out to do (unless my bike breaks/I crash :tongue: )

That hilly route takes me ~2hr40mins :colondollar: I know it's slow, but I can only really cycle at average 8 - 12mph up those hills so :tongue:
Reply 2105
Aaah...stop making me jelly! :wink:

That's not a bad time :') Depending on the terrain, probably better than me :mmm: Rabobank strip :five:

Giant is probably better, but the CAAD9 frame is the best alu frame ever XD

Any pics of your TCR? :gah:

Give me about 48 hours, I'm cleaning her tomorrow lunch and servicing the lunch afterwards, so I'll get some photos in the jig :biggrin:

I've done better, riding fixed has really helped my legs, as has riding with a krypto NY chain & Mini Fag... :biggrin: So heavy -.-

The CAAD 9 is fantastic, but you do have to pay the price for it :tongue: We had a customer with the US flag CAAD 9, that was really beautiful. :biggrin:
The Giant is 1/2 carbon, which I like. I've always thought that full carbon is a bit large... If that makes any sense, I mean, I know all the benefits that you;re getting from the massively oversized BB shell, but can't they make it smaller?

AND!! Next years Giant range looks so amazing. :biggrin: I want the TCR Advanced ISP 0 (I think that's the one) Look it up (if the 2012's are online yet)

**Obsessive moment**
Reply 2106
Does anyone know why the Vastus Medialis muscle hurts so much after a ride? The pain is literally right where the black line ends in the diagram below.

Just had a really awkward moment outside a full pub and shop in the Village. A few friends were waiting for me down at the Bus Stop so we could go ride, and I was on my way down from my house to the bus stop which is only about 100 meters or so to meet them. Anyway, at the end of the Green is this fairly large lump which, given practice, can be motowhipped.

Unfortunately, today my tire decided to just randomly wash out, causing me to ****ing front flip over the handlebars and land flat down... In front of like 100 odd people...

That awkward moment. :frown: Still, going for a shred with the guys now. No doubt the guys and girls here in the village we're shredding with today will rip the **** out of me for this debacle. :tongue:
Hey everyone, I was wondering if somebody could help me. Today I started hearing a loud clicking sound from the front wheel of my bike. When I got home I checked it and it looks as if the brake disc keeps touching the calliper when the wheel is spinning. I can't be sure that it is responsible though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by badger-man
Hey everyone, I was wondering if somebody could help me. Today I started hearing a loud clicking sound from the front wheel of my bike. When I got home I checked it and it looks as if the brake disc keeps touching the calliper when the wheel is spinning. I can't be sure that it is responsible though.

It doesn't sound like it. A disc brake makes a scratching, grating sound every time it touches.

Saying that, if the rotor itself is tagged or has wear lines on it, that could cause it. Similarly, any foreign contaminates that have become stuck on the rotor may cause that on its pass.

A loud clicking, though, could also be loose spokes, worn bearings, stones in the rim, broken nipples... It sounds as if its more likely one of those, rather then the disc rotor and brake pads themselves.
Reply 2110
For you pink loving roadies (not a euphemism), check out the guy on the left:

Original post by Roobsa

OMG :dice:

:wink:
Reply 2112
Original post by Roobsa

OMG :dice:

:wink:

Love the strip... But the bike's a bit OTT pink for me... I prefer

I'll post a better picture tomorrow after the service :wink: (Closeups and all!)

And this is the strip I REALLY want...

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by owliver
Love the strip... But the bike's a bit OTT pink for me... I prefer

I'll post a better picture tomorrow after the service :wink: (Closeups and all!)

And this is the strip I REALLY want...

Lovely looking bike mate :top: Just the right amount of pink XD looks good :yep:

Do you know where you can get that strip? Bib-shorts and everything?
Reply 2114
Lovely looking bike mate :top: Just the right amount of pink XD looks good :yep:

Do you know where you can get that strip? Bib-shorts and everything?

I've only been able to find the bib... but I haven't made a proper effort... It's on the rabobank sport shop (: But I do have the rest of the kit in beautiful Rabo Orange :wink:

It's not yet got enough pink (: It just needs all the little finishing touches :biggrin:

('scuse any grammar/spelling failure, 30 miles + 10 hours hiring & selling bikes has made me very tired)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by owliver
I've only been able to find the bib... but I haven't made a proper effort... It's on the rabobank sport shop (: But I do have the rest of the kit in beautiful Rabo Orange :wink:

It's not yet got enough pink (: It just needs all the little finishing touches :biggrin:

('scuse any grammar/spelling failure, 30 miles + 10 hours hiring & selling bikes has made me very tired)

You're excused :wink:

I'm tempted to pink up my bike a bit now :ninja:

I rode 37 miles today (That route of death :tongue: ) In a PB of 2hr 28mins XD I can barely walk downstairs for a cuppa :tongue: Don't want to overdo it before Sundays race, I'm crappping myself about that now :frown: I've done no training really, just gone out for rides, no intervals or anything...aaaah
Reply 2116
You're excused :wink:

I'm tempted to pink up my bike a bit now :ninja:

I rode 37 miles today (That route of death :tongue: ) In a PB of 2hr 28mins XD I can barely walk downstairs for a cuppa :tongue: Don't want to overdo it before Sundays race, I'm crappping myself about that now :frown: I've done no training really, just gone out for rides, no intervals or anything...aaaah

Read this.
Original post by DH-Biker
It doesn't sound like it. A disc brake makes a scratching, grating sound every time it touches.

Saying that, if the rotor itself is tagged or has wear lines on it, that could cause it. Similarly, any foreign contaminates that have become stuck on the rotor may cause that on its pass.

A loud clicking, though, could also be loose spokes, worn bearings, stones in the rim, broken nipples... It sounds as if its more likely one of those, rather then the disc rotor and brake pads themselves.

It turns out the front wheel was wobbling a tiny bit, causing the brake rotor to lightly tap the brake pads every second or so. I had the front wheel trued and the sounds seems to have stopped :biggrin:
Original post by Roobsa
Read this.

Haha....I'm doing so much wrong...I wear a livestrong band :tongue:
Reply 2119
Segio Luis Henao won the uphill Time Trial prologue of the Tour of Utah
(click for photos)

Haha....I'm doing so much wrong...I wear a livestrong band :tongue:

Don't wear livestrong!! Have a bike pure stem spacer... But I'm getting rid as soon as i'm on Chris King... Cus tbh, a bit of doping's fine.

Latest