The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Overdraft extension refused, no clipless for me :frown:
Original post by HFerguson
Overdraft extension refused, no clipless for me :frown:

:console:

Have you looked second hand?
Reply 2122
See this post for a bit of cycling heartbreak.
Did you see that Trek Madone! :frown:

I bet they wont even ride them, let alone appreciate what they're riding, the scum. :angry:

:cry2:
Reply 2124
British track championship tickets just went on sale. Shame they're being held up in Manchester and not the new velodrome in London!
Reply 2125
Original post by Roobsa
Does anyone know why the Vastus Medialis muscle hurts so much after a ride? The pain is literally right where the black line ends in the diagram below.

that's odd, it tends to be my vastua intermedius that aches. I noticed that the ache location differs with different bike setups (mostly saddle related). The medialis is a very defined and oversized muscle on most cyclists legs i've seen (relative to the general pop) even compared to the other leg muscles so it might just be you playing catch up?
(edited 12 years ago)
After all my injuries it feels good to be able to go get back into training again. Did a 15km cycle last night and this morning, clocked at 29 and 30mins respectively. Looking to improve my time as I become fitter.

It sounds like a hell of a mission but I actually want to try and do 15km at least twice a day for a few weeks! Then I shall progress on to running. I have the motivation to get my triathlon stamina back! :colondollar:

In fact, I'm about to go for a cycle now. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stricof
After all my injuries it feels good to be able to go get back into training again. Did a 15km cycle last night and this morning, clocked at 29 and 30mins respectively. Looking to improve my time as I become fitter.

It sounds like a hell of a mission but I actually want to try and do 15km at least twice a day for a few weeks! Then I shall progress on to running. I have the motivation to get my triathlon stamina back! :colondollar:

In fact, I'm about to go for a cycle now. :biggrin:

Good luck dude XD It's always nice to have a goal.

I remember when I was training for a duathlon I was doing a 3 mile run followed by a 20 mile ride followed by another 3 mile run. ( I didn't do the duathlon in the end, but I was fit :tongue: )

Now my goal is a race this Sunday, haven't done any training per-se, just 60km hilly rides and this is a rather flat course...:frown: I just keep telling myself it's for the experience and coming last doesn't matter :tongue: God help me tbh ;p
Reply 2128
Original post by james-brown28
Good luck dude XD It's always nice to have a goal.

I remember when I was training for a duathlon I was doing a 3 mile run followed by a 20 mile ride followed by another 3 mile run. ( I didn't do the duathlon in the end, but I was fit :tongue: )

Now my goal is a race this Sunday, haven't done any training per-se, just 60km hilly rides and this is a rather flat course...:frown: I just keep telling myself it's for the experience and coming last doesn't matter :tongue: God help me tbh ;p

What's your diet like? I always find it difficult to stick to a proper diet. It's getting better but I don't want to become a calorie counter, just want a sensible diet that I know won't set me back.

Today I planned what looks like a pretty good 27 mile route that I want to ride soon. Think it's more of a confidence thing that stops me going out there though if I'm honest. What sort of prep do you guys do for long rides? Inner tubes, food etc?
Original post by Roobsa
What's your diet like? I always find it difficult to stick to a proper diet. It's getting better but I don't want to become a calorie counter, just want a sensible diet that I know won't set me back.

Today I planned what looks like a pretty good 27 mile route that I want to ride soon. Think it's more of a confidence thing that stops me going out there though if I'm honest. What sort of prep do you guys do for long rides? Inner tubes, food etc?

My diet is nothing special really, I sometimes skip breakfast :colondollar: lunch is usualy after my ride so is something like banana on toast with honey or a sandwich. Tea is probably my best meal; potatoes, meat, veg and a salad or pasta or rice etc.

Drink wise it's water, tea and sometimes a fizzy drink like coke after a ride.

OK, on the bike for rides longer than 40km I'll take two drinks: One with a carbohydrate/electrolyte drink (bought as a powder and mixed into water) and one with just plain water. Regarding food on the bike, I take things like flapjacks, cereal bars and maybe a banana. (Note that these will usually substitute my breakfast if I miss it before my ride :tongue:)

I use a saddlebag, in it I keep a spare innertube, multitool, patches and tyre levers. I then keep this pump in my jersey pocket:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11313&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google-Products-UK

It's tiny and really light.

I also take a lightweight rain jacket (altura pocket rocket) no matter what the weather (after a sweaty 4 mile uphill comes a cold 40mph downhill :tongue: ) It packs down to the size of a fist and I keep it in my jersey pocket :smile:
Reply 2130
Original post by james-brown28
My diet is nothing special really, I sometimes skip breakfast :colondollar: lunch is usualy after my ride so is something like banana on toast with honey or a sandwich. Tea is probably my best meal; potatoes, meat, veg and a salad or pasta or rice etc.

Drink wise it's water, tea and sometimes a fizzy drink like coke after a ride.

OK, on the bike for rides longer than 40km I'll take two drinks: One with a carbohydrate/electrolyte drink (bought as a powder and mixed into water) and one with just plain water. Regarding food on the bike, I take things like flapjacks, cereal bars and maybe a banana. (Note that these will usually substitute my breakfast if I miss it before my ride :tongue:)

I use a saddlebag, in it I keep a spare innertube, multitool, patches and tyre levers. I then keep this pump in my jersey pocket:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11313&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google-Products-UK

It's tiny and really light.

I also take a lightweight rain jacket (altura pocket rocket) no matter what the weather (after a sweaty 4 mile uphill comes a cold 40mph downhill :tongue: ) It packs down to the size of a fist and I keep it in my jersey pocket :smile:

Thanks man, loads of info there. Looks like I need to spend a bit more money on a saddle bag, pump, jacket and a spare inner tube!

I've started use protein shakes and recovery shakes. I think I'm noticing the effects but hard to tell really. Also have some caffeine tablet things I was recommended that I put into a 500ml bottle of water that I drink before I go out. My legs get tired up hills very fast though. :frown:
Original post by Roobsa
Thanks man, loads of info there. Looks like I need to spend a bit more money on a saddle bag, pump, jacket and a spare inner tube!

I've started use protein shakes and recovery shakes. I think I'm noticing the effects but hard to tell really. Also have some caffeine tablet things I was recommended that I put into a 500ml bottle of water that I drink before I go out. My legs get tired up hills very fast though. :frown:

Np :smile:

My legs get tired uphills too.

Remember: It never gets easier, you just go faster :top:
Reply 2132
This is a great little doc about what it takes to become a track sprinter.

Reply 2133
Original post by Roobsa
This is a great little doc about what it takes to become a track sprinter.

Nice video. Thanks for posting.

Out of interest, do any of you listen to music when cycling? I have my doubts as to how safe it is to have earphones in when on the roads.
Reply 2134
Original post by Roobsa
See this post for a bit of cycling heartbreak.

It is only Evans though... If it was an LBS If would be very sad... >.<
Reply 2135
Original post by HR--
Nice video. Thanks for posting.

Out of interest, do any of you listen to music when cycling? I have my doubts as to how safe it is to have earphones in when on the roads.

Noise cancelling. I know the rules say not to...
BUT
I am the biggest dick on the road...

(I have been stopped for jumping red lights...)
Argh. Lots of headwind today. :frown:
Original post by ukebert
Argh. Lots of headwind today. :frown:

Tell me about it :cry2:
Reply 2138
This is well worth a watch - http://vimeo.com/25178245

Those roads look absolutely incredible.
Reply 2139
Original post by Roobsa
This is well worth a watch - http://vimeo.com/25178245

Those roads look absolutely incredible.

If only British roads were like this instead we deal with this