The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

New cyclist here :tongue:. Took my bike with me to my new house because I figured I'd use it to go to and from uni once term starts. It's also more fun to cycle to the supermarket than walk, so I've been doing that. It's a hideous turquoise Apollo (?) bike I got for Christmas years back but there's no point in getting a new one, I don't cycle that often (yet).
starless_dark
New cyclist here :tongue:. Took my bike with me to my new house because I figured I'd use it to go to and from uni once term starts. It's also more fun to cycle to the supermarket than walk, so I've been doing that. It's a hideous turquoise Apollo (?) bike I got for Christmas years back but there's no point in getting a new one, I don't cycle that often (yet).

wohoo welcome! A hideous bike is better than no bike :p: Its definately worth seeing how much you use it before thinking of getting a better one.. when I got my first Trek i never thought id be doing 6-12 miles/day on it!
I'd rather like to join - but I'll need to look my bike out, I've been meaning to start cycling again but not gotten round to it yet. I used to cycle maybe 10 miles a day last summer, and have cycled 30-40 when I went to the next town, with pretty big hills in between. I ride a mountain bike on the road, dont use a helmet and often use an mp3 player woops.
Danielle89
I'd rather like to join - but I'll need to look my bike out, I've been meaning to start cycling again but not gotten round to it yet. I used to cycle maybe 10 miles a day last summer, and have cycled 30-40 when I went to the next town, with pretty big hills in between. I ride a mountain bike on the road, dont use a helmet and often use an mp3 player woops.

Not a good mix there, not hearing a lorry then banging your head on the kerb springs to mind
wizard710
Not a good mix there, not hearing a lorry then banging your head on the kerb springs to mind

Well to be fair I usually have one earplug in, not two... never worn a helmet cos I've never had a fall lol
Danielle89
Well to be fair I usually have one earplug in, not two... never worn a helmet cos I've never had a fall lol

Nor have I, but my cousin broke his thigh and calf having a fight with a cement mixer
Reply 226
My boyfriend terrifies me cos he never wears a helmet (except to race in because he has to) and already had a massive crash where he broke his hip! He says he's indestructible since he wasn't wearing a helmet then either but I beg to differ ...
Just to emphasis my point
josepharthur
I just saw a cyclist being run down by a bus. There was blood everywhere, and loud screams. My first thought was that life is really short to worry about petty problems.
Luckily lots of people ran to his assistance, but he was crying in pain until the ambulance took him away. Luckily it was not a direct hit, otherwise he would be dead by now.
rock_ten
oh dear, my dad, who used to cycle a fair bit but stopped about 12 years ago, is going to buy a bike from a colleague today. We know nothing about it except that it was apparently £300 new a few months ago, and he's paying £100 now. He's pretty out of touch with bikes and stuff at the moment, so I hope it's not something completely ridiculous, lol...

Oh and I have question - I need some downtube shifters, one of the levers has broken off from mine. I've been to a few shops but none stock any, not even old parts. There's a few on eBay but they're gay new ones. Mine are suntour ones, pretty ancient... any idea where I could get something like that? I could get pics later. Actually, I think I might have one...

yes:

Any ideas? I think they do need replacing, but I'll get more opinions before I accept that.

Ask in 2nd hand bike shops. They'd have a lot of older bikes, and would most likely know where to get parts from.
Loads of traffic on the roads today. I was on my bike. Loved it.
Bought a Appolo bike from Halfords for £120 from £150, didnt have much choice as i needed a 22" inch frame bike anyway, ive covered around 130 miles in the last 7 days and its been so much fun, ive got myself a little routine of going gym, then cycling down to the beach and back, which is around 10 miles, even better in this great weather !!!!

Anyway the bike it self is pretty much knackered already lol, the front disc brakes are weak, the gears are dodgy, the plastic shield next to the gears has broken off, it makes an incredibly weird noise, both front and rear lights have decided to come flying off, the seat keeps moving around, but hey i dont care, i love trashing it around aslong as it dont break its all good lol
Bear_Grylls
Bought a Appolo bike from Halfords for £120 from £150, didnt have much choice as i needed a 22" inch frame bike anyway, ive covered around 130 miles in the last 7 days and its been so much fun, ive got myself a little routine of going gym, then cycling down to the beach and back, which is around 10 miles, even better in this great weather !!!!

Anyway the bike it self is pretty much knackered already lol, the front disc brakes are weak, the gears are dodgy, the plastic shield next to the gears has broken off, it makes an incredibly weird noise, both front and rear lights have decided to come flying off, the seat keeps moving around, but hey i dont care, i love trashing it around aslong as it dont break its all good lol

That sounds like a typical Apollo to be honest.
I've been told not to sell them at all costs, they're too much hassle, and they start to fall apart with a couple of days.
Don't be surprised if the wheels start to buckle soon.
ocelotrevs
That sounds like a typical Apollo to be honest.
I've been told not to sell them at all costs, they're too much hassle, and they start to fall apart with a couple of days.
Don't be surprised if the wheels start to buckle soon.

lol great ! if it causes me much more hassle ill just take it back, but for now its fine.
i got my new bike today *dances*
rock_ten
oh dear, my dad, who used to cycle a fair bit but stopped about 12 years ago, is going to buy a bike from a colleague today. We know nothing about it except that it was apparently £300 new a few months ago, and he's paying £100 now. He's pretty out of touch with bikes and stuff at the moment, so I hope it's not something completely ridiculous, lol...

Oh and I have question - I need some downtube shifters, one of the levers has broken off from mine. I've been to a few shops but none stock any, not even old parts. There's a few on eBay but they're gay new ones. Mine are suntour ones, pretty ancient... any idea where I could get something like that? I could get pics later. Actually, I think I might have one...

yes:

Any ideas? I think they do need replacing, but I'll get more opinions before I accept that.

Shimano Dura ace braze on shifters. :biggrin:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13669
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13670
My babies :p: :

My MTB

SoundDevastation
i got my new bike today *dances*

Cool what did you get? New bike = the most exciting thing ever :biggrin:

Are there any TSR cyclists from Leicestershire/Rutland/ East midlands direction?
Can I just ask - does cycling make your legs big because my legs seem to have got loads of muscle on them :C and I had been cycling every day
It depends on how you cycle, lots of high cadence work (ie high gears pushing hard) will increase your strenght/ muscle mass. But then a normal cadence (around 12 revolutions every 10 seconds) will probably just increase your endurance.

I'd say cycling makes your legs "toned" :p:
OllyH
My babies :p:

Cool what did you get? New bike = the most exciting thing ever :biggrin:

Are there any TSR cyclists from Leicestershire/Rutland/ East midlands direction?

ooooh, very nice indeed. My new baby is a Trek T30 to replace my totally knackered second-hand Trek 4500.. Its a bit weird being my first time on anything other than a mountain bike but its such a pleasure to ride.

And yes, Im in Nottingham. I really like the East Midlands for cycling, just enough hills for a challenge :biggrin:
Ah, nice, I want to get a commuter bike for when Im at uni (especially if I get into cambridge), I've been thinking about trying to find a nice frame 2nd hand then building up a single speed.

Latest