The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
I went out on my bike today :smile: first time ever riding round home and it was actually quite good, getting up a few of the hills (and there are lots!) was a bit tough and going back down them was pretty scary too but a pretty good ride :smile: only trouble is now I have funny bits of sunburn on my back just in the middle where I couldn't reach!!
Reply 241
Keith Lemon
Thats fairly cheap for a full carbon bike, what are the specs like?
And '09 bikes will probs be out in a few months, so I'd definatley wait.

Yeah i know, I'd love to spend 2 or 3 grand on one but I just don't have that kind of money sitting around

The specs are pretty much 105 all over, but I'd get an ultegra rear mech. But yeah I'll wait for the 09 bikes
Oh right that's not too bad, and with the '9 bikes coming out you will probs be able to find a good deal on an '08 bike.
yeeeeeeeaaah!! :biggrin: :biggrin: Setting off for climate camp tomorrow morning, Nottingham - Kent, 160 miles on my sexy new bikey. The handle bar additions were an extra, and £10 very well spent.

Have a good time, looks like a great bike.
Reply 245
Wow good luck loaded up like that!! Hope it goes well! Are you doing the whole trip in one day?
i wish i could take less stuff, but we're camping for two weeks and need enough food for 4 days too, so theres not really much i can leave behind! The panniers are only part full and Its not at all bad to ride, still feels lighter on the road than my old mtb. Not one day no, we're gonna take it slow and enjoy the scenery. It'll take two days to get to London, then we'll catch up with the carvan who set off yesterday:

Hello

Just bagged myself this bike on ebay:

CARRERA CORSA 14 RACING/ TRIATHLON BIKE

GOOD CONDITION BIKE SUITABLE FOR TRAINING OR COMPETITION

Description:

58cm / 23 inch frame
26 inch Mavic quick release wheels
Lightwieght Reynolds 708 Tubing
Shimano 105 brakes
Shimano 14 speed SIS gears
Pro bars with mounted gears

See attachment for photo..

I paid 130 incl cost of collecting it which is a long way...

I think its a fairly good deal considering the new bottom end bikes at decathlon or halfrods starting at 160 are useless...

Any thoughts?
Yes, something like that is much much much better than a low ends halfords. Apollos are horrible metal tanks (sorry to anyone that ones one!), and should not be sold/marketed how they are.

Some of the decathlon ones are pretty darn good value though.

Sounds like good quality steel thunderbolt, and its much better looking than anything you'd get from halfords at that price :P
OllyH
Yes, something like that is much much much better than a low ends halfords. Apollos are horrible metal tanks (sorry to anyone that ones one!), and should not be sold/marketed how they are.

Some of the decathlon ones are pretty darn good value though.

Sounds like good quality steel thunderbolt, and its much better looking than anything you'd get from halfords at that price :P

Yes, I have to travel accross the county to pick it up. The auction actually ended on £88 just costing me £42 on the train :frown: Agree about decathlon, but to get the decent range I needed about £200-£300 and I just didn't have that kinda cash. I think it will be excellent for some training/short commutes :smile:

Regards,
Thunder
Reply 250
Trigg
Yeah i know, I'd love to spend 2 or 3 grand on one but I just don't have that kind of money sitting around

The specs are pretty much 105 all over, but I'd get an ultegra rear mech. But yeah I'll wait for the 09 bikes

Check out the focus bikes at wiggle if you want a killer spec for the money
e.g the full carbon cayo is £999 with full ultegra and mavic aksium wheels and the cayo expert is £1599 with full dura ace, fulcrum racing 5 wheels and FSA bits and bobs. They'll be coming down in price in the next month or two as well. i think the expert got as low as £1200 last year.

If you want Italian style then Wilier are very nice - the full carbon Mortirolo is available at about £1300 and £1599 with fulcrum racing 7 wheels and campag mirage and veloce respectively. They look stunning in the flesh as well (i am waiting to pounce if they get reduced...)
Reply 251
jose
Check out the focus bikes at wiggle if you want a killer spec for the money
e.g the full carbon cayo is £999 with full ultegra and mavic aksium wheels and the cayo expert is £1599 with full dura ace, fulcrum racing 5 wheels and FSA bits and bobs. They'll be coming down in price in the next month or two as well. i think the expert got as low as £1200 last year.

If you want Italian style then Wilier are very nice - the full carbon Mortirolo is available at about £1300 and £1599 with fulcrum racing 7 wheels and campag mirage and veloce respectively. They look stunning in the flesh as well (i am waiting to pounce if they get reduced...)

Those focus bikes do look nice, a grand for an ultegra groupset and full carbon frame is impressive

I was thinking of the wiliers actually, but the mirage groupset was a bit low for me. It isn't work going for a Wilier carbon bike unless you go over 2 grand I reckon

But now I'm thinking of just going for an aluminum frame with a similar spec, just because I'd only go to uni and get the carbon one nicked..
Campag stuff is also not as good and a bit of a rip, I'd always go for a shimano specced bike.

What you want for uni is an old steel framed fixie...
Keith Lemon
Campag stuff is also not as good and a bit of a rip, I'd always go for a shimano specced bike.

What you want for uni is an old steel framed fixie...

That is exactly what Im lookng for, for when I go off to Uni. I'm going to check the skip to see if I can find any nice frames and then build something up.

Focus bikes are great value, a friend of mine has a focus road bike ( cant remember which model) but he raves about it. Also their MTBs are nice as well, I want a super bud!
Same, just trying to find a frame big enough is a pain.

And yeah, I've seen some of the focus mtb and they are really nice, so I'm sure the road bikes are equally as good.
quick update, in a mates cafe in london from the morning. Did Nottingham - Market Harborough on tuesday, camped in a field then on to Milton Keyns yesterday. We were so worn out from the sun more than anything so we got a train the rest of the way to London (needed to be here to join the climate caravan this afternoon) but its been a really really good two days on the road. The bike has been amazing!

60 miles to go. whooop :biggrin:
Reply 256
hi guys, i cycle a bit, im aiming to cycle a good 12 mile/day from now on, just wondering, does this bike http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/GT_Avalanche_2_Disc_2008/5360032286/ seem like a good runaround bike (i.e. not too serious but good long lasting quality)

also, ive been told to avoid mechanical disk brakes because they are crap and are even worse than v brakes (btw linked bike has hydraulic)

thanks guys!
Mechanical disc brakes are better than V brakes...but do take a lot of effort to get set up and maintained.
You really should be looking for hyraulic discs on a bike that price now a days.
The only real advantage of V brakes is the weight saving.

I'd also have a look at the Carrera Fury and Carrera kracken bikes at halfords. This years kracken has last years Fury frame and its a nicely double butted aluminium frame.
The Fury has the best fork by a long way (a properly damped that you'll find for that price. And if you look around or wait until the end of the year they can be reduced to under £400. The problem about buying from halfords is that, depending on the store, most of them don't really know anything about bikes and won't be able to set it up as well as a proper bike shop (when I bought my Fury I ended up teaching their bike staff how to adjust hydraulic disc brakes)

There is a decent guide to buying bikes here on Bikeradar.com:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12540401

I would stay away from buying off the internet (unless you've bought lots of bikes in the past and are confident of sizing) and suggest you visit as many local bike shops as you can and test ride a couple, so that you can find a frame that suits you.

Also whats your budget and what sort of riding do you hope to do (ie road, off road, commuting etc)?
Stick with V-brakes Vaanish, I had a cable disc in the past and have worked on them when I worked in a bike shop, and they are a pain in the arse to maintain as Olly H said, and there's no reason V=brakes can't be set up to work really well.
And again like Olly H said avoid buying bikes online, it's best to try before you buy.
Reply 259
Thanks guys, just wondering, when do the '09 bikes come out, because i may as well wait for them if im going to buy a bike.

Latest