The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3741
Original post by Roobsa
Eww, it's got Sora groupset. :p:

*Bike noob here* What's that? What should I be looking out for?
Reply 3742
Original post by D4rth
*Bike noob here* What's that? What should I be looking out for?

Sora is one of the cheapest groupset and has a small shifter that you use with your thumb. My preference is Tiagra (mainly because of the shifters that are just behind the brakes and allow you to shift with your fingers, which is much more intuitive) or above.

Original post by Roobsa
Eww, it's got Sora groupset. :p:

If you're looking for a cheapy road bike to do some shorter distances (<20miles) then that bike will be fine. If you're looking to do some sportives or races then you will definitely need to splash out some more cash on a better bike.
Reply 3744
Original post by soutioirsim
If you're looking for a cheapy road bike to do some shorter distances (<20miles) then that bike will be fine. If you're looking to do some sportives or races then you will definitely need to splash out some more cash on a better bike.

For now all I want is a cheap road bike. I'm going to be using it for college which is 3.5 miles away and just the general ride to the park and so on. Im definitely not interested in racing, maximising my speed or reducing my weight as much as possible. I just want a cheap, nice looking road bike.

I've had a look on eBay for second hand bikes but no successful results. I've looked on gumtree and I've found a few bikes but a) there's not enough information about the bike and b) Im new with all this bike stuff so I'm not really sure of what I need to be looking for.

Thanks for your replies guys finally someone has replied an given useful advice
Starting cycling tomorrow for the first time in AGES

Will be doing 2 hours every morning. Trying to shed Christmas weight!

Only thing I'm curious about, if I'm cycling every morning for 2 hours, if I start training my legs would that lead to over training?

You guys think cycling is enough work for legs?
Does anyone in this society do time trials? I would be interested in seeing your times and the bikes you're using. I haven't cycled any actual time trial races but I cycle 10 or 25 miles and keep track on a cycle computer.
I don't have a time trial bike, but I have a Specialized Allez Sport 2012 and have added aero bars and a Profile Design fast forward seatpost to make it more aero and comfortable since I ride on my own most of the time. Was just curious if there were any time trialists on here that could give me tips. I'm not interested in competing in time trials but I much prefer short fast rides to long slow ones.
Original post by Average_Aaron
Starting cycling tomorrow for the first time in AGES

Will be doing 2 hours every morning. Trying to shed Christmas weight!

Only thing I'm curious about, if I'm cycling every morning for 2 hours, if I start training my legs would that lead to over training?

You guys think cycling is enough work for legs?

Well if your cycling just to shed the extra pounds from Christmas and are not looking to compete in races, then yea its enough :smile:
Original post by Daviant
Does anyone in this society do time trials? I would be interested in seeing your times and the bikes you're using. I haven't cycled any actual time trial races but I cycle 10 or 25 miles and keep track on a cycle computer.
I don't have a time trial bike, but I have a Specialized Allez Sport 2012 and have added aero bars and a Profile Design fast forward seatpost to make it more aero and comfortable since I ride on my own most of the time. Was just curious if there were any time trialists on here that could give me tips. I'm not interested in competing in time trials but I much prefer short fast rides to long slow ones.

Yea I am starting time trials with the club this year. I have a Specialized Allez 2011.
I really want to set a sub 25 minute time.... big aim tbh but I think its possible :smile:
All you can really do is train alot if your looking to set a decent time. Do leg workouts such as squats/lunges to build your muscles up and then use them on the road to get the power.
Original post by MHorman

OH, and fell off my bicycle on the way back from the gym the other day.

The gym was packed so i decided to cycle home in my gym shorts instead of changing back into my jeans.I was cold outside so decided to cycle faster to stop myself being cold...

Oh and earlier on when i was cycling with some mates after lecture we had gone offroad on the way to this park place.

Muddy tyres+ very quick cornering = crashed...
Scraped both knees, big scrape back of my thigh, deskinned both hands. Not too bad. Am alright really. Nothing major really.

Spoiler

Looks nasty! I had a crash similar a week or two ago, massive bruise on my shoulder!

Hope you're healing up nicely mate :smile:
Guys I need some advice about my knees.

My knees have been playing up badly over the past month or so.
I get a sharp shooting pain every know and then - Never when cycling though.
It doesn't hurt massively, but it does hurt enough to get my attention.

To add to that, sometimes I feel like my knee isn't working right when walking. Its like its allowing my leg to lock in the wrong place (as if the lower half of my leg has extended to much - almost as if my knee is allowing the joint to work in the wrong direction!) Again, very slight but amazingly annoying.

I've recently been cycling a lot more than I have been. I did my first 50 miler yesterday (bloody great fun! And amazingly feeling when you get home! Cant wait for my century!:biggrin:) and I've been sprinting harder than I probably should have. But I think the problems have been there since before then!
I've also recently started cycling clipless.

I dont think its an issue with my seating set up or anything, that should be around perfect!

Ill get to the doctors about it in the near future, but for now any advice would be great :smile:
Original post by lonelykatana
Guys I need some advice about my knees.

My knees have been playing up badly over the past month or so.
I get a sharp shooting pain every know and then - Never when cycling though.
It doesn't hurt massively, but it does hurt enough to get my attention.

To add to that, sometimes I feel like my knee isn't working right when walking. Its like its allowing my leg to lock in the wrong place (as if the lower half of my leg has extended to much - almost as if my knee is allowing the joint to work in the wrong direction!) Again, very slight but amazingly annoying.

I've recently been cycling a lot more than I have been. I did my first 50 miler yesterday (bloody great fun! And amazingly feeling when you get home! Cant wait for my century!:biggrin:) and I've been sprinting harder than I probably should have. But I think the problems have been there since before then!
I've also recently started cycling clipless.

I dont think its an issue with my seating set up or anything, that should be around perfect!

Ill get to the doctors about it in the near future, but for now any advice would be great :smile:

What kinda cadence do you cycle at roughly? I have always been told that using too big a gear can really hurt your knees. If you've got quite a low cadence and you're pushing quite a big gear then try spinning a bit faster to take the pressure of a bit.
Original post by Daviant

Yeah I practically took a year off cycling last year and since being at uni, I've been alot more into it and I've got my first time trial this sunday. It's a standard flat 10mile and I'm gonna be using a 2012 Nia Virone 7 Bianchi road bike. The time I'm gonna be aiming for is roughly 27min (would like to hit 25min this year like Irishguy2k10).

My best time was 25.05min when I was 15 for the school boy national champs but I had a whole season of road racing in my legs and I was borrowing a proper carbon time trial bike so I don't think I'll get near it this sunday! :smile:

Aero bars really help so you that's one big step towards getting faster. In terms of equipment, the next thing you can get are some lighter wheels, they help loads!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Yea I am starting time trials with the club this year. I have a Specialized Allez 2011.
I really want to set a sub 25 minute time.... big aim tbh but I think its possible :smile:
All you can really do is train alot if your looking to set a decent time. Do leg workouts such as squats/lunges to build your muscles up and then use them on the road to get the power.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be putting more miles on the bike in future, just kitted it out with loads of new stuff and springs coming so I'll be out every other day doing short fast rides and I'll go on one long ride a week with the club. As for squats, I can do 3plate 3x5 ATG olympic high bar, so I don't think that'll be a problem :tongue:.

Original post by soutioirsim
Yeah I practically took a year off cycling last year and since being at uni, I've been alot more into it and I've got my first time trial this sunday. It's a standard flat 10mile and I'm gonna be using a 2012 Nia Virone 7 Bianchi road bike. The time I'm gonna be aiming for is roughly 27min (would like to hit 25min this year like Irishguy2k10).

My best time was 25.05min when I was 15 for the school boy national champs but I had a whole season of road racing in my legs and I was borrowing a proper carbon time trial bike so I don't think I'll get near it this sunday! :smile:

Aero bars really help so you that's one big step towards getting faster. In terms of equipment, the next thing you can get are some lighter wheels, they help loads!

Yeah lighter wheels are probably the next thing I'll buy if I'm still not happy with my speed. I have puncture resistant tires in atm, and the bike feels slightly more sluggish. Have you noticed this or is it just my imagination?
Reply 3754
Hello all,

Im trying to find a good london cycle route planner. Can anyone give me ideas?
Original post by Daviant
Yeah, I'm definitely going to be putting more miles on the bike in future, just kitted it out with loads of new stuff and springs coming so I'll be out every other day doing short fast rides and I'll go on one long ride a week with the club. As for squats, I can do 3plate 3x5 ATG olympic high bar, so I don't think that'll be a problem :tongue:.

Yeah lighter wheels are probably the next thing I'll buy if I'm still not happy with my speed. I have puncture resistant tires in atm, and the bike feels slightly more sluggish. Have you noticed this or is it just my imagination?

Brilliant mate, just get out as much as you can... clock up the miles and then a 10-25 mile tt is nothing...... just make sure you dont make the mistake and go flat out at the start, that wont help you at all, your just going to suffer 2 miles down the road. Start out at your average pace, the adjust your gears to the cadence until you can hold a comfortable speed.
Oo haha, well you are 100% there then :biggrin:
This one is geared at the roadies.

I have had a specialized allez sport now for about two years and I'm looking to upgrade to a new bike. The bike I have has a 50x34 chainring but the new bike I am looking at has a 53x39. Would I struggle going from a compact double?
I've been doing 10-12 mile runs. I'm going to do a 15 mile run this week while trying to average at about 14 mph to see how I feel.
If it feels okay and I don't feel shattered I'm going to make this a twice weekly thing before I try for the 20 mile run.
zzz folding tires are such a bitch to fit in to the wheels. -,-' my fingers are hurting
What's the most common cause of lower back pain?
After 20miles it starts to ache, after ~40 I can only ride standing up.
I've tried to lower the saddle, slide it back/forward, change handlebar angle... no change

This is really really ****ing me off. I've been training solo for a couple of months to rack up the confidence to join a club for the first time. Got 700miles in the saddle, hill repeats, intervals, flat-out sprints to school but nothing on endurance. SOMEBODY HELP!!! IS THE POSITION FAULTY OR IS MY BACK TOO WEAK?!?

Latest