The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello guys... I got my bike today and I am planning on starting up a daily cycle ride of 10km, I have not ridden in a long time (1yr)so do you think it is feasible to do this tomorrow after a warm-up?

I also need to get into South Kensington tomorrow which is like 17km... 34km total, would that be feasible tomorrow do you reckon? or should I take the train?

Edit: Anyone recommend me an iOS app that can have a route, tell me how fast I am cycling and the time I am doing it in? I was thinking of Navigon as I need a GPS for my iPhone anyway but I am unsure of whether it is suitable.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3781
Original post by tehFrance
Hello guys... I got my bike today and I am planning on starting up a daily cycle ride of 10km, I have not ridden in a long time (1yr)so do you think it is feasible to do this tomorrow after a warm-up?

I also need to get into South Kensington tomorrow which is like 17km... 34km total, would that be feasible tomorrow do you reckon? or should I take the train?

Edit: Anyone recommend me an iOS app that can have a route, tell me how fast I am cycling and the time I am doing it in? I was thinking of Navigon as I need a GPS for my iPhone anyway but I am unsure of whether it is suitable.

10km is very doable if you pace yourself and there isn't many hills in the way. It won't take long for you to up your pace either.

34km may be okay. Id wait and see how you feel after the ride today. How much of a break will you have while you are there?
Original post by dhr90
10km is very doable if you pace yourself and there isn't many hills in the way. It won't take long for you to up your pace either.

34km may be okay. Id wait and see how you feel after the ride today. How much of a break will you have while you are there?

I did the 10km today on a mainly flat surface (along the thames) and it wasn't bad but I don't think I can do 34km so I'll get the train... maybe next time :lol:

Any tips on iPhone apps to help me keep track?
Reply 3783
Original post by tehFrance
I did the 10km today on a mainly flat surface (along the thames) and it wasn't bad but I don't think I can do 34km so I'll get the train... maybe next time :lol:

Any tips on iPhone apps to help me keep track?

Shouldn't be too long before you can do the 34km if you are doing 10km daily. Try to set yourself targets to beat your time etc to help improve fitness.

Can't help with iPhone apps sorry.
Original post by soutioirsim
2012 Bianchi Nia Virone 7 :smile: I LOOVVVE HER.

DSC_0458.jpg

Beautiful! I'd buy that without a seconds thought if I had the money. Though I dont think I could be dealing with white tape. My hands are constantly dirty :tongue:
Original post by lonelykatana
Beautiful! I'd buy that without a seconds thought if I had the money. Though I dont think I could be dealing with white tape. My hands are constantly dirty :tongue:

Yeah that's the only problem, the bar tape is going to ruined in no time!
does anyone know where i can buy cheap wheels? I really want to upgrade my rear wheels coz Im so vain
Original post by Tut.exe
does anyone know where i can buy cheap wheels? I really want to upgrade my rear wheels coz Im so vain

what bike are we talking here? :smile: I can help you with road bikes but know next to nothing about any other bike :tongue:
wooo first club ride tomorrow morning. hope my training's paid off and that drafting is really all its made out to be :biggrin:
Original post by lonelykatana
what bike are we talking here? :smile: I can help you with road bikes but know next to nothing about any other bike :tongue:

yeah i got a road bike 700c wheels
I've been a 'cyclist' for about 10 years. I bike 8 miles a day to college. Imo Cycling is best for journeys under 10 miles. Had a fair share of accidents though.
Hey all, been another little spell since I've posted on here. How are y'all doing?

On two other notes:

1) This is what happens when knee pads don't perform their necessary function (Not for the queezy):

Spoiler

2) On a lighter note, here's a poem a friend of mine did a few years back that I just found, I thought it was hilarious but my sense of humour might not be the same as everyone elses:

Spoiler

Reply 3792
Original post by DH-Biker
Hey all, been another little spell since I've posted on here. How are y'all doing?

On two other notes:

1) This is what happens when knee pads don't perform their necessary function (Not for the queezy):

Spoiler

2) On a lighter note, here's a poem a friend of mine did a few years back that I just found, I thought it was hilarious but my sense of humour might not be the same as everyone elses:

Spoiler

I haven't ridden the big bike in 4 months! :frown: Can't be bothered to fix the puncture and now I have too much uni work to do.

Is that your knee? Looks grim!

Great poem :rofl:

This is why you should fit proper bar end caps to your handlebars:

Spoiler

2013 Shimano range mtb here and road here./

And finally a video of a backflip going wrong :smile: [video="vimeo;34342295"]http://vimeo.com/34342295[/video]
2012 Bianchi Nia Virone 7 :smile: I LOOVVVE HER.

DSC_0458.jpg

For £950, I would have looked at the 2nd hand market.
I haven't looked at the spec of your bike, but I'd be amazed if it even come with 105's or Veloce groupset.

This: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bianchi-Sempre-Ultegra-2011-carbon-road-bike-size-55cm-/270926103984?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3f147445b0

Not a whole lot more money, and you could have a very good bike with Ksyrium wheelset, full carbon frame and fork, ultegra g/s and a respectable crankset. The difference in components is worth a whole lot more than the additional £150 odd quid.
Original post by Tut.exe

ebay is obviously your best bet. But if you want new wheels just for the bling factor, then it's going to cost you - because the best looking wheels are normally the lightest wheels or carbon.

But I wouldn't be putting nice wheels on a crap bike (that's if you have crap bike). Change the bike first then look at changing the wheels if you're good enough to notice the difference.
Original post by Né Stig
ebay is obviously your best bet. But if you want new wheels just for the bling factor, then it's going to cost you - because the best looking wheels are normally the lightest wheels or carbon.

But I wouldn't be putting nice wheels on a crap bike (that's if you have crap bike). Change the bike first then look at changing the wheels if you're good enough to notice the difference.

I already got a sexy one:

Defy_4_compact.jpg

(though the front wheel is a shimano R500 with continental supersport tyres as it has been stolen)
Original post by Né Stig
For £950, I would have looked at the 2nd hand market.
I haven't looked at the spec of your bike, but I'd be amazed if it even come with 105's or Veloce groupset.

This: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bianchi-Sempre-Ultegra-2011-carbon-road-bike-size-55cm-/270926103984?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3f147445b0

Not a whole lot more money, and you could have a very good bike with Ksyrium wheelset, full carbon frame and fork, ultegra g/s and a respectable crankset. The difference in components is worth a whole lot more than the additional £150 odd quid.

But tbh I'm not too fussed about the groupset. I find Bianchi bikes incredibly reliable and comfortable so I thought going for a second hand bike just for performance wouldnt really suit me. Plus, after not racing for nearly one and a half years I wanted a new bike to kinda have a fresh start.
I did my first 10mile time trial in aaaggggeesss today and what **** weather it was! It rained all morning, got drenched on the way there, the rained turned to snow during the time trial and had a horrific ride bk to uni afterwards!

I was actually quite happy though, I came 12th out of 33 with a time of 28.17min. The fatest time was 26.07min, it was such crap conditions! Good training tho for my hilly 10mile time trial next weekend :biggrin:
I did my first 10mile time trial in aaaggggeesss today and what **** weather it was! It rained all morning, got drenched on the way there, the rained turned to snow during the time trial and had a horrific ride bk to uni afterwards!

I was actually quite happy though, I came 12th out of 33 with a time of 28.17min. The fatest time was 26.07min, it was such crap conditions! Good training tho for my hilly 10mile time trial next weekend :biggrin:

Sweet time mate. Especially after the time its been since your last.

Was out on the club cycle today, very strong wind but we pushed through. We were splitting from the group to head home.... my chain came off, bike seized and i went down at about 30mph, mate went over me and broke his collar bone, split his index finger open and scrapped his side badly. Im bucked altogether haha
Got such a disappointment about 2 hours ago. Went out on the bike (yes I ride at night) for a short one in some new tights I bought and was feeling surprisingly good at the start so I decided to really push it. Ended up having an average speed of just under 26mph for 15mins until I turned round and headed home - thought holy **** these tights gotta be magic (I was probably the happiest person alive at that point). Turned round into a monster headwind..... Came home with the CatEye saying 18.6mph, back to reality *sigh*