The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Irishguy2K10
Sweet time mate. Especially after the time its been since your last.

Was out on the club cycle today, very strong wind but we pushed through. We were splitting from the group to head home.... my chain came off, bike seized and i went down at about 30mph, mate went over me and broke his collar bone, split his index finger open and scrapped his side badly. Im bucked altogether haha

Cheers :smile:

Wow that sounds pretty brutal, did you break anything? :/
Original post by Brutal Chav
Got such a disappointment about 2 hours ago. Went out on the bike (yes I ride at night) for a short one in some new tights I bought and was feeling surprisingly good at the start so I decided to really push it. Ended up having an average speed of just under 26mph for 15mins until I turned round and headed home - thought holy **** these tights gotta be magic (I was probably the happiest person alive at that point). Turned round into a monster headwind..... Came home with the CatEye saying 18.6mph, back to reality *sigh*

The exact same happened to me today! It's awful. I prefer having a headwind on the way out and then a tailwind bk home, you can really blast it then at the start without having to worry to much.
Ah the blasted headwinds. I live in lincolnshire which means sometimes I get headwinds both ways on each journey. Damn Fens...
Original post by soutioirsim
Cheers :smile:

Wow that sounds pretty brutal, did you break anything? :/

The exact same happened to me today! It's awful. I prefer having a headwind on the way out and then a tailwind bk home, you can really blast it then at the start without having to worry to much.

Nope, just a sore hand and legs.
I have to work tonight, 4 hours of standing at a till :frown: I dont have the patience for this haha.

Was out on the club cycle today, very strong wind but we pushed through. We were splitting from the group to head home.... my chain came off, bike seized and i went down at about 30mph, mate went over me and broke his collar bone, split his index finger open and scrapped his side badly. Im bucked altogether haha

And if you're on a group ride, my presumption is you have a good bike, and therefore when you come down, you put your body in the way! Your body can heal I say! :biggrin:

I'm presuming your chain dropped on the main chainset. You should invest in a K-Edge (or other make) chain catcher. I've had one installed now for over a year and no more greasy hands and no more stopping, or even worse the chain getting caught and buckling.
Yea, its a brill bike, cant say anything bad about it :biggrin: Yep, I got up straight away and didnt even worry about any of my own possible injuries, seen my bike lying in a heap near, got my mate clipped out of his bike and got him of the road. Then I checked on my bike and thank god theres nothing seriously wrong that I know off.

Yea, I think I will be buying myself one, thanks for the info :smile:
Woooo my usual mtb venue :biggrin:

http://vimeo.com/22069969
Reply 3806
Woooo my usual mtb venue :biggrin:

http://vimeo.com/22069969

Is that the XC course? :tongue: :ninja:

The front flip near the road was fairly impressive. Wonder how many pinch flats those rocks have caused :colone:
Original post by dhr90
Is that the XC course? :tongue: :ninja:

The front flip near the road was fairly impressive. Wonder how many pinch flats those rocks have caused :colone:

Hahaha, I have given it a shot on my hardtail and lets just say I failed :biggrin:
I haven't got a flat yet up there... theres so many different trails up there, is very impressive.
Reply 3808
Hahaha, I have given it a shot on my hardtail and lets just say I failed :biggrin:
I haven't got a flat yet up there... theres so many different trails up there, is very impressive.

Were you bucked off it? Wouldn't be surprised going by that video!

Heh, is there a sign at the bottom/car park advising everyone to pump their tyres up?

I need to get back out on a bike!
Original post by dhr90
Were you bucked off it? Wouldn't be surprised going by that video!

Heh, is there a sign at the bottom/car park advising everyone to pump their tyres up?

I need to get back out on a bike!

Yeap, numerous times on the descent but I'm stubborn and had to finish it :biggrin:
Haha, I have no clue but I would like to think everyone would have them inflated lol. I always have my joe blow pump in the car boot.
The weather is sorta crap atm, so its not as much fun without the sun.
Reply 3810
Disc brakes on a road bike - what are people's thoughts?

Colnago C59 Disc Road Bike

Original post by Roobsa

Colnago C59 Disc Road Bike

I think its a good idea, extra breaking power. It doesn't really affect the bikes image in any way and tbh wont add all that much extra weight. I would sacrifice the weight for safety tbh.
Reply 3812
I think its a good idea, extra breaking power. It doesn't really affect the bikes image in any way and tbh wont add all that much extra weight. I would sacrifice the weight for safety tbh.

You can only brake so fast though given the small contact patch between tyre and ground before locking the wheels.

Guess it makes rims lighter and reduces the radius of rotating weight to help riders speed and endurance though.
Reply 3813

That C59 looks so good I reckon.
Reply 3814
Original post by Roobsa

Carbon wheelset! :coma:

Wouldn't want to get a crack in them though!
Original post by dhr90
You can only brake so fast though given the small contact patch between tyre and ground before locking the wheels.

Guess it makes rims lighter and reduces the radius of rotating weight to help riders speed and endurance though.

Yeah, your rite there. I would do anything for more breaking power :biggrin:
Original post by Roobsa

Colnago just make awesome bikes :colondollar:
Would so buy one if I had the money.
Original post by dhr90

sorry if this is off-topic but I never really understood deep carbon rims. I know reducing radius means the mass spins at lower speeds so you're putting in less energy into the wheels but doesn't that just make your acceleration a tad quicker, not speed or endurance?
Reply 3818
Original post by Brutal Chav
sorry if this is off-topic but I never really understood deep carbon rims. I know reducing radius means the mass spins at lower speeds so you're putting in less energy into the wheels but doesn't that just make your acceleration a tad quicker, not speed or endurance?

Well it will also require less energy to keep it spinning at the speed so endurance helps. Speed, not sure about, bit of a guess really, but I wouldn't be surprised if it helped with top speed a small amount.
Original post by Roobsa

I'm surprised by Colnago going this route. A very traditional bike maker who still like to do things the conventional way.

The c59 frame is so beautiful and with so much emphasis on weight, I am very surprised also about placing the disks on this particular frame (as opposed to the M10 or CLX for example). I am all for it personally - I'd much rather being bolder in corners and carrying a bit of extra weight as a consequence.

Obviously this is a road bike and disk brakes will never be seen on a TT bike due to the carbon rims.

In fact, I can honestly say that I've been looking to upgrade my bike to the EPQ - although that appears to have gone off the radar (someone fill me in if you know)?! It was the EPS last year and that got discontinued so I wanted the EPQ in matt black. But this C59 - I really want.

Anyone who is thinking about blowing a small fortune, how many really distinguishable bike makers are there out there? I think about 6ish and Colnago is one with their unique paint jobs. Get one if you can.

Latest