The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lonelykatana
Chaps, Advice please?

www.triuk.com/products/exustar/exustar-shoepedal-combo

What do you reckon? seems like a good deal but second options are always grand

Thats a very good deal tbh, decent pedals and shoes with a carbon fiber sole. With that sole the shoes should be good and stiff. Go for it.
Took part in the clubs road race last Sunday. A tough 70 miles and an average speed of 23mph.
The pack of 25 stayed together for the first 20 miles then when we got to the first climb called horse shoes bend, some guys just went for it so I went with them, after climbing for about 3 minutes we descended into Castlewellan and then a 4 mile stretch to Newcastle, average speed along there was 34 mph, honestly the best surface I have cycled on. We got to Newcastle and the pace had to slow due to traffic. We then started the very very long climb to Annalong and yet again the pack that was together split again, so I went with them and we arrived in Kilkeel, my legs were sure feeling it now. We stayed together to Rostrevor and the finish line was 2.5 miles away, my legs were just dead but I managed to finish with the front pack, didnt manage to pinch first place though haha. :smile:

Everyone has their 14lb bikes out now, the mavic cosmic and ksyrium wheels on and they look awesome. Their wheels cost more than my bike hahah.
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Thats a very good deal tbh, decent pedals and shoes with a carbon fiber sole. With that sole the shoes should be good and stiff. Go for it.

Cheers :smile: I'll go for it then!
Might have to wait until next student loan day though :tongue:
Reply 3863
Took part in the clubs road race last Sunday. A tough 70 miles and an average speed of 23mph.
The pack of 25 stayed together for the first 20 miles then when we got to the first climb called horse shoes bend, some guys just went for it so I went with them, after climbing for about 3 minutes we descended into Castlewellan and then a 4 mile stretch to Newcastle, average speed along there was 34 mph, honestly the best surface I have cycled on. We got to Newcastle and the pace had to slow due to traffic. We then started the very very long climb to Annalong and yet again the pack that was together split again, so I went with them and we arrived in Kilkeel, my legs were sure feeling it now. We stayed together to Rostrevor and the finish line was 2.5 miles away, my legs were just dead but I managed to finish with the front pack, didnt manage to pinch first place though haha. :smile:

Everyone has their 14lb bikes out now, the mavic cosmic and ksyrium wheels on and they look awesome. Their wheels cost more than my bike hahah.

Great post, does Ireland have a category system like UK cycling?? (I assume this newcastle is in Ireland?). Just finishing with the front pack is really good :smile: Cycling is a hard sport. What bike have you got??
Original post by RyanT
Great post, does Ireland have a category system like UK cycling?? (I assume this newcastle is in Ireland?). Just finishing with the front pack is really good :smile: Cycling is a hard sport. What bike have you got??

We have the A1,A2,A3,A4 category... this is the open road racing licences. I am not in any of these category's yet as its really my first year racing since starting cycling in May, only bought the club race licence this year. :smile: Its a specialized allez 2011, mines the black version but I think its a great bike to start out on, and if you want to race on it, I think its perfectly capable. Obviously not as good as the 3000 quid bikes but its a reliable bike.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-sport-27-2011-road-bike-ec025028#features
Reply 3865
Hi guys, I need a little bit of help. On my bike the back tyre wobbles, not when I'm cycling but if I grab it and shake it side to side its quiet loose, don't really know how to fix it, all the bolts seem to be quite tight. Someone mentioned ball bearings but if I need to open it all up then I might just leave it... will anything bad happen if I leave it, it seems to be fine when I'm cycling.
Reply 3866
Original post by D4rth
Hi guys, I need a little bit of help. On my bike the back tyre wobbles, not when I'm cycling but if I grab it and shake it side to side its quiet loose, don't really know how to fix it, all the bolts seem to be quite tight. Someone mentioned ball bearings but if I need to open it all up then I might just leave it... will anything bad happen if I leave it, it seems to be fine when I'm cycling.

I've had the same problem in the past. You need cone spanners to fix it. Basically there are cone type nuts that have come slightly loose which is causing it to move. They are what prevents the ball bearings from falling out and what the outside nut is tightened against to lock the wheel to the frame.

If they don't get looser all that will happen is they will wear out faster as dirt, grit and water will get inside and eventually (mine were fine for a good year loose) the wheel will get damaged, but not for a long time. It's worth fixing, but you don't need to rush to get it done in my opinion unless it is an expensive wheel you don't want to risk being damaged.

You might be able to fix it with normal spanners but it is unlikely, at least I couldn't when I tried. Cone spanners are much thinner than normal spanners.

I'd either ask friends who cycle/are mechanic if they have a set or go to a good bike shop and ask if they can either fix it, if they are decent they won't charge you for that 10 second job, or take the wheel in and ask if you can borrow the spanners in return for leaving them a tip or something.
Reply 3867
Its a specialized allez 2011, mines the black version but I think its a great bike to start out on, and if you want to race on it, I think its perfectly capable. Obviously not as good as the 3000 quid bikes but its a reliable bike.

It's probably just as good as the £3000 quid bikes.

Better to race on a cheaper bike too, I've seen a fair few accidents ^^
Reply 3868
Original post by dhr90
I've had the same problem in the past. You need cone spanners to fix it. Basically there are cone type nuts that have come slightly loose which is causing it to move. They are what prevents the ball bearings from falling out and what the outside nut is tightened against to lock the wheel to the frame.

If they don't get looser all that will happen is they will wear out faster as dirt, grit and water will get inside and eventually (mine were fine for a good year loose) the wheel will get damaged, but not for a long time. It's worth fixing, but you don't need to rush to get it done in my opinion unless it is an expensive wheel you don't want to risk being damaged.

You might be able to fix it with normal spanners but it is unlikely, at least I couldn't when I tried. Cone spanners are much thinner than normal spanners.

I'd either ask friends who cycle/are mechanic if they have a set or go to a good bike shop and ask if they can either fix it, if they are decent they won't charge you for that 10 second job, or take the wheel in and ask if you can borrow the spanners in return for leaving them a tip or something.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it this weekend!
Original post by D4rth

After my mates accident two weeks ago, his wheel has been the exact same as your description since then. We took it to the bike shop and he trued the wheel, but its still the exact same. Apparently the hub needs tightened according to another cyclist we know.
Original post by RyanT
It's probably just as good as the £3000 quid bikes.

Better to race on a cheaper bike too, I've seen a fair few accidents ^^

yea, thats why I dont mind racing on it.. I know its a cheap bike and if I fall its not going to cost that much to fix. After my accident two weeks ago, Two wheels completely untrue, handlebars wrecked, gears messed up... £25.00 to repair.
Reply 3871
After my mates accident two weeks ago, his wheel has been the exact same as your description since then. We took it to the bike shop and he trued the wheel, but its still the exact same. Apparently the hub needs tightened according to another cyclist we know.

They shouldn't be truing a wheel with loose cones. Completely pointless, if anything they could put the wheel untrue for when the cones are tightened up.

Original post by D4rth
Thanks, I'll take a look at it this weekend!

Is the wheel quick release or bolted on?

For anyone looking to do more maintenance on your bike yourself I can fully recommend this book if you can get hold of it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Bike-Maintenance-Illustrated-Manual/dp/155297734X It is very detailed and has helped solve every problem I have had that I didn't know how to fix.

Anyone noticed how wide handlebars are getting these days? My big bike has 650mm bars which I thought was wide, but friends are saying 725-750 is narrow :eek: Can't believer there are 800mm bars out there, I'd feel like a clown with them!

Alright mate, I'm trying my best to 'get up to speed' this summer or at least be able to stick with the faster group at my club - can I ask you a few questions on training etc, what I should do to get the best results and what realistic aims to set? :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3873
Original post by dhr90
They shouldn't be truing a wheel with loose cones. Completely pointless, if anything they could put the wheel untrue for when the cones are tightened up.

For anyone looking to do more maintenance on your bike yourself I can fully recommend this book if you can get hold of it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Bike-Maintenance-Illustrated-Manual/dp/155297734X It is very detailed and has helped solve every problem I have had that I didn't know how to fix.

But I'm a roadie, I don't want your icky mountain bike guide! :P

Both wheels are bolted on, I'll take a look this weekend but I don't want to mess anything up, hopefully its a simple fix.
Reply 3874
Original post by D4rth
But I'm a roadie, I don't want your icky mountain bike guide! :P

Both wheels are bolted on, I'll take a look this weekend but I don't want to mess anything up, hopefully its a simple fix.

There is probably a version for those of you too scared to go off road :tongue:

It should still be the same fault/solution as with a mountain bike, but I'm not sure on the hubs etc of roadie bikes so may not be exactly the same, but likely to be from what you have described.
Original post by dhr90

Anyone noticed how wide handlebars are getting these days? My big bike has 650mm bars which I thought was wide, but friends are saying 725-750 is narrow :eek: Can't believer there are 800mm bars out there, I'd feel like a clown with them!

I have no clue what they did with the wheel, just know he had to true it and its still messed up haha.
Original post by Brutal Chav
Alright mate, I'm trying my best to 'get up to speed' this summer or at least be able to stick with the faster group at my club - can I ask you a few questions on training etc, what I should do to get the best results and what realistic aims to set? :biggrin:

ask away mate :smile: I would be glad to help you out.
Reply 3877
I have no clue what they did with the wheel, just know he had to true it and its still messed up haha.

Was this shop part of a well known chain that also sells cars parts?

Truing the wheel when it is the cones that are loose is just pointless. Hope you didn't pay for it!
Original post by dhr90
Was this shop part of a well known chain that also sells cars parts?

Truing the wheel when it is the cones that are loose is just pointless. Hope you didn't pay for it!

Nope, hes a top quality bike mechanic, sorted all my problems out to date. He sorted both my wheels out and there like new. He sorted my mates front wheel but the back is still messed up. Hes taking it up on Saturday to see whats wrong.
Reply 3879
Nope, hes a top quality bike mechanic, sorted all my problems out to date. He sorted both my wheels out and there like new. He sorted my mates front wheel but the back is still messed up. Hes taking it up on Saturday to see whats wrong.

Hmm, well they could have needed truing anyway, but I'm surprised if he didn't spot the cones were loose and fix them at the same time if he is that good. Mind you I am saying its cones that are the problem over the internet without seeing it so could be me thats wrong!