The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krazzie_ammo
thanks man. i was more wondering what difference it would make if i bought a smaller frame?

Well you dont want your leg to be completely straight when u get to the base of a pedal stroke, you want a small bend in the knee. If you buy a smaller frame I think you would have to adjust the seat post to a suitable height and on a 48cm frame its going to be a long way from the handlebars I guess.So your going to have to bend quite bit to reach the bars. It wouldnt be comfortable on your chest or knees. Theres some other lads on here who can give another opinion so dont take my word for it, see what they say.
Hi all,

I'm looking for a cheapish road bike for London (cheap in case it gets stolen), and was wondering if anyone has any input on this.

Someone I know recommended this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vittesse-Sprint-21-speed-Alloy-Racing/dp/B003DZ15CQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1QN941R7DVKWY&colid=3SLCGDX23JQI6

And it has pretty mixed reviews. I'm not expecting the best bike in the world, but maybe it would be worth spending a bit of money on something that will last a bit longer and doesn't need parts replacing often.

Also, if anyone has any input on some D locks (or others), that would be greatly appreciated, too.

Budget depends on the bike, but the cheaper the better - which may involve 2nd hand bikes being the best value for money.

Thanks.
Question: Is the Oxford/Banbury road safe for cycling?

It's the orange-colored (A4260) road on the map that connects Banbury to Oxford.

I'm planning to ride Coventry to Oxford and back and this is the only road I'm unsure about. I've checked the Google maps street-view of it and it seems really narrow... :s-smilie:
Nice weather for cycling today. Put in 20 miles on the road, bit cold and a tad windy.

Really is some beautiful countryside in Cheshire, in and around Alderley Edge and the surroundings.
Back ache.

In the last few weeks I've started getting back into road cycling again, after a break of 4 months. And I'm experiencing a bit of back ache, lower back. Probably because of this break and my body getting used to the crouch position when cycling...

Has anyone got any recommendations/exercises I can do to strengthen that part of the back...what are other peoples remedies on here for back ache, how to prevent or reduce its occurence etc...
Original post by white_haired_wizard
Back ache.

In the last few weeks I've started getting back into road cycling again, after a break of 4 months. And I'm experiencing a bit of back ache, lower back. Probably because of this break and my body getting used to the crouch position when cycling...

Has anyone got any recommendations/exercises I can do to strengthen that part of the back...what are other peoples remedies on here for back ache, how to prevent or reduce its occurence etc...

I seem to have he same problem, and I can never seem to get rid of it on the bike unless I get out of the saddle for a bit. :smile:

Hardest club run ever today, totally ruined atm. All the 14lb bikes are out and I have to keep pace on my heavy brute haah :biggrin:
Original post by Irishguy2K10
I seem to have he same problem, and I can never seem to get rid of it on the bike unless I get out of the saddle for a bit. :smile:

Hardest club run ever today, totally ruined atm. All the 14lb bikes are out and I have to keep pace on my heavy brute haah :biggrin:

I'm going to google stuff and perhaps there are exercises specific to this problem. The problem will probably reduce the more times I get out on my bike, fingers crossed.

Not been for a club run since December. Happy at present to either go for 20-30 mile rides alone or with just one other rider from my club. Quicker pace as well, as pace with the club is pretty slow, largely due to the average age of the club member!
Original post by white_haired_wizard
I'm going to google stuff and perhaps there are exercises specific to this problem. The problem will probably reduce the more times I get out on my bike, fingers crossed.

Not been for a club run since December. Happy at present to either go for 20-30 mile rides alone or with just one other rider from my club. Quicker pace as well, as pace with the club is pretty slow, largely due to the average age of the club member!

I had a nosey myself and came across this
http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/health-lower-back-pain-22293/

Yea, well 20-30 miles solo is harder than 40 miles with the club as you have nobody to draft from.

I'm looking a new set of wheels, nothing too expensive.. max 300 quid. My current ones keep ripping every tyre I buy. Its very annoying,
Does anyone know what type of bike I should buy in the summer holidays (after GCSEs)? I'm hopefully going to ride to sixth form on it in the Summer and take it to University if I get that far..
I like the look of this:

Spoiler

But I'm not really sure of what advantages road bikes bring? They have no suspension, less gears and more fragile. Also, I'm not sure if i'll be able to ride it on the pavement sometimes, as the road can get scary :ahee:

Or maybe something like this:

Spoiler

My max budget would be about 299 I wouldnt realy want to spend anymore. My mom won't allow me to buy a second hand one as she thinks it'll be unsafe and she probably wouldn't listen to any argument put forward, therefore it had to be new. Those bikes were from Evans cycles

I use to adore white rims, but with mud involved they turn brown even with cleaning. :no:

So, these are my next buy:

EnveDH_Wheelset.jpg

100% Carbon DH rims, they don't look THAT interesting, but they are spec-wise magnificent.
Original post by DH-Biker
I use to adore white rims, but with mud involved they turn brown even with cleaning. :no:

So, these are my next buy:

EnveDH_Wheelset.jpg

100% Carbon DH rims, they don't look THAT interesting, but they are spec-wise magnificent.

Haha I know, its going to be annoying cleaning them all the time but its totally worth it for the white look. I have white pedals and the decals on my bike are white so it will be a nice addition. I was out with the club yesterday and got 4 punctures within 30 miles.... the tyre had ripped at the side and i just changed it 3 weeks back from a tyre with the exact same problem. They are the standard wheels that came with the bike, cheap and very heavy scrap with horrible hubs... so its time to invest in something that wont hold me back. It was the rim ripping the tyres.

I bet they would take a battering. What bike you running them on ?
I'm in, as a mountain biker and road cyclist, I would be interested in getting more people involved, as i appear to be the only one that cycles into 6th form!
Haha I know, its going to be annoying cleaning them all the time but its totally worth it for the white look. I have white pedals and the decals on my bike are white so it will be a nice addition. I was out with the club yesterday and got 4 punctures within 30 miles.... the tyre had ripped at the side and i just changed it 3 weeks back from a tyre with the exact same problem. They are the standard wheels that came with the bike, cheap and very heavy scrap with horrible hubs... so its time to invest in something that wont hold me back. It was the rim ripping the tyres.

I bet they would take a battering. What bike you running them on ?

At least you've found the issue now, luckily I've yet to have a puncture on either my Session or V10C. The Minions I use are incredibly rugged, not a spot of bother with either of them. One's been doing over a year and a half's worth of DH, the other a few months, which has given me huge confidence in them.

Actually, they seem INCREDIBLY tough. One of the DH teams at this years World Champs ran them and recorded no issues, they seemed to work brilliantly. Though I'm concerned they'd be suseptible to dents, as you say. I doesn't bother me, really, as long as it holds.

I'll be running them on the V10 Carbon, although its minimally carbon at present, and whilst I'm not a weight-weenie, those rims are set to reduce 550/600 grams off my current DeeMax rims. Though I'll miss the vivid yellow rims, I can run them on my new XC bike when I get it running. A custom build that's taking a bothersomely long time.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Does anyone know what type of bike I should buy in the summer holidays (after GCSEs)? I'm hopefully going to ride to sixth form on it in the Summer and take it to University if I get that far..
I like the look of this:

Spoiler

But I'm not really sure of what advantages road bikes bring? They have no suspension, less gears and more fragile. Also, I'm not sure if i'll be able to ride it on the pavement sometimes, as the road can get scary :ahee:

Or maybe something like this:

Spoiler

My max budget would be about 299 I wouldnt realy want to spend anymore. My mom won't allow me to buy a second hand one as she thinks it'll be unsafe and she probably wouldn't listen to any argument put forward, therefore it had to be new. Those bikes were from Evans cycles

Well if your just using it for sixth form and uni I would go with that Mongoose tyax, seems like a super bike for the job. Its got suspension and disc brakes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mongoose-Tyax-Comp-2011-Hardtail-Mountain-Bike-Silver-RRP-399-99-/251018545537?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&var=&hash=item8014e7a005#ht_2561wt_1195
Any 'roadies' here?
Well if your just using it for sixth form and uni I would go with that Mongoose tyax, seems like a super bike for the job. Its got suspension and disc brakes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mongoose-Tyax-Comp-2011-Hardtail-Mountain-Bike-Silver-RRP-399-99-/251018545537?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&var=&hash=item8014e7a005#ht_2561wt_1195

Thanks matey, I think I'll buy it from here: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mongoose/tyax-comp-2011-mountain-bike-ec026627 probably from the shop.

Are you a 'roadie'?
Speaking of punctures, I'm due one tbh.

Fingers crossed I obviously hope I don't get one anytime soon!

Did get a puncture on my rear tyre very recently, whilst being on the turbo.
Original post by DH-Biker
At least you've found the issue now, luckily I've yet to have a puncture on either my Session or V10C. The Minions I use are incredibly rugged, not a spot of bother with either of them. One's been doing over a year and a half's worth of DH, the other a few months, which has given me huge confidence in them.

Actually, they seem INCREDIBLY tough. One of the DH teams at this years World Champs ran them and recorded no issues, they seemed to work brilliantly. Though I'm concerned they'd be suseptible to dents, as you say. I doesn't bother me, really, as long as it holds.

I'll be running them on the V10 Carbon, although its minimally carbon at present, and whilst I'm not a weight-weenie, those rims are set to reduce 550/600 grams off my current DeeMax rims. Though I'll miss the vivid yellow rims, I can run them on my new XC bike when I get it running. A custom build that's taking a bothersomely long time.

Frig, thats some time without a puncture. I haven't got a puncture on my mtb yet, thank god. I will have a look at them tyres when I need to change mine, they seem to be solid.

Yea, well if he recorded no issues and he obvs ran them pretty hard they are a safe bet.

Oo damnn thats a nice bike you have there, bet its a dream n the mountains. Yea the DeeMax yellow rims are sweet, I have seen a few lads at my local trails riding them. What frame are you using for the new XC bike ?
I had a nosey myself and came across this
http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/health-lower-back-pain-22293/

Yea, well 20-30 miles solo is harder than 40 miles with the club as you have nobody to draft from.

I'm looking a new set of wheels, nothing too expensive.. max 300 quid. My current ones keep ripping every tyre I buy. Its very annoying,

cheers for that link. The plank and bridging the back, using floor-based exercises, makes sense - strengthening the core and back muscles etc.

300 is ALOT of money! Although I do generally buy the cheapest cycling stuff around, usually from Decathlon! You can get the cheapest road bike there is at Decathlon for under £300!

Money well spent anyway, cycling is awesome and the spring and summer are either here or to look forward to.

Latest