The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4160
Original post by DH-Biker
In other news, I had a major accident the other day, kind of buzzed me a bit. I was on the switchback section of our trail and the track is flanked by trees on either side with huge berms that cover the turns. Anyway, I was coming into one berm a bit too fast, railed it perfectly given the speed but couldn't align in time and lost it on the out. Managed to avoid most of it by turning brutally at the last minute but still clipped my bars, shoulder and then flipped off. Stung like hell but at the Doctors they said it was inflamation in the muscle that was hurting. Still, nothing to keep me off for long, but my lower arm took a lovely branch, cut it open quite nicely. :rolleyes:

Just be glad your injury isn't as bad as this:

(Don't click if you're squeamish.)

Spoiler

Original post by white_haired_wizard
x

remember me?!
First 25 today, 1.06.33 pretty happy :biggrin:
Original post by JLXP
remember me?!

Certainly do, bro.

I've been out on my bike a few times in the last month. Around Alderley Edge and surrounding areas, mainly. Although I'm considering some future rides taking me in and around Tatton Park and Dunham Massey as there are some pretty nice and quiet country roads in and around that area.

The weather is currently taking the piss though. On days off from work the weather has always been bad recently, just as it is today. I was planning on going for a ride today but it looks like it may be yet another 'turbo day'.

You been out on your bike of late?
Original post by Roobsa

Spoiler

that's dreadful. I've only just finished my breakfast you swine!

What on earth has happened to that wrist and hand?? Looks like something out of the terminator with all that metal etc...
Original post by DH-Biker
DH-Biker has returned once more.

Got a new job at Go Outdoors (not sure if anyone's heard of it) as Supervisor for the Cycling, Fishing, Climbing and Horse Riding Dept. The latter I know NOTHING about, but still. Whilst the bike range is awful (at least for mountain biking, road bikes aren't bad, nor are there hybrids etc), I get free GT85, parts, cleaning products and free tools! :woo: Plus, riding clothing, also fun. Should be fab. :yep:

In other news, I had a major accident the other day, kind of buzzed me a bit. I was on the switchback section of our trail and the track is flanked by trees on either side with huge berms that cover the turns. Anyway, I was coming into one berm a bit too fast, railed it perfectly given the speed but couldn't align in time and lost it on the out. Managed to avoid most of it by turning brutally at the last minute but still clipped my bars, shoulder and then flipped off. Stung like hell but at the Doctors they said it was inflamation in the muscle that was hurting. Still, nothing to keep me off for long, but my lower arm took a lovely branch, cut it open quite nicely. :rolleyes:

I suppose that's the perk of working in a shop/store, you have little benefits like these, freebies and the like. And although the wage perhaps might not be much, certain things like this can compensate! Done well to even get a job in this economic climate so well done, bro.

Planning on going out on a ride this afternoon, providing the weather improves. Perhaps I just need to MTFU, regardless of the weather, but I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to bad weather conditions.
Reply 4166
Original post by Roobsa

Spoiler

Could be a lot worse if you ride one of these!

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/03/07/russian-cyclo-innovation/
Certainly do, bro.

I've been out on my bike a few times in the last month. Around Alderley Edge and surrounding areas, mainly. Although I'm considering some future rides taking me in and around Tatton Park and Dunham Massey as there are some pretty nice and quiet country roads in and around that area.

The weather is currently taking the piss though. On days off from work the weather has always been bad recently, just as it is today. I was planning on going for a ride today but it looks like it may be yet another 'turbo day'.

You been out on your bike of late?

are you still in heavily?

Unfortunately as my exams are in a months time I've not been able to get out anywhere near as much as i would like, although i really need to get some training in as i am doing part 2 of the EU tour in July. I treated myself to a new pair of oakleys the other day, though :biggrin:
Have you been up through Kettleshulme yet?
Original post by JLXP
are you still in heavily?

Unfortunately as my exams are in a months time I've not been able to get out anywhere near as much as i would like, although i really need to get some training in as i am doing part 2 of the EU tour in July. I treated myself to a new pair of oakleys the other day, though :biggrin:
Have you been up through Kettleshulme yet?

very close to Heavily, yes.

I think I may have done some of Kettleshulme on a ride with my club late last year. I prefer my flats tbh, although with hills, you get the accompanying downhills, a nice and perhaps more interesting varied ride.

Went out with a club cyclist a few months ago and he showed me a pretty cool 20-ish mile route, something I've done solo in recent weeks. Got flats, a few uphills and downhills. Through Bramhall, Alderley Edge and the surroundings. Got a pretty cool and lengthy downhill section of road that then runs over that new road, and then eventually leads back into the centre of Alderley Edge and back home.

Once weather improves, keen to explore more areas in and around Tatton Park and Dunham Massey, as roads are pretty flat and very free from traffic too.
(edited 11 years ago)
very close to Heavily, yes.

I think I may have done some of Kettleshulme on a ride with my club late last year. I prefer my flats tbh, although with hills, you get the accompanying downhills, a nice and perhaps more interesting varied ride.

Went out with a club cyclist a few months ago and he showed me a pretty cool 20-ish mile route, something I've done solo in recent weeks. Got flats, a few uphills and downhills. Through Bramhall, Alderley Edge and the surroundings. Got a pretty cool and lengthy downhill section of road that then runs over that new road, and then eventually leads back into the centre of Alderley Edge and back home.

Once weather improves, keen to explore more areas in and around Tatton Park and Dunham Massey, as roads are pretty flat and very free from traffic too.

I know exactly where you mean, it's along the new road leading into Alderly edge? i think i'll do that when I've got some spare time
That sounds good, Dunham Massey is lovely
Reply 4170
my rear cassette won't let me freewheel. I think there's something up with the hub. It gets jammed and won't spin backwards (and I can't stop pedalling). Anyway, if i pour hot water over the cassette and into the hub, it works for a bit and then gets jammed again. Any ideas how to fix it?
Next year I'm doing a 2,500 mile charity ride, and I need a training bike to prep on, any suggestions on a good road bike for less than £500?
Original post by Irishguy2K10

Nice signature there mate!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MrBez
Somewhere in the city probably. I lived in apartments in and around for the last 4 years or so, so will probably grab somewhere there again.

Do you cycle many routes in Manchester?

I only bought my road bike since I've been down here, so would be good to go on some good routes when I am back if you are interested?

South Manchester is pretty good, tatton park is lovely, as jj193 said.
If you fancy something more hilly, you HAVE to try the rack in Ramsbottom - Hardest **** ever.
I went east, into the Manchester/Darbishire boarder a few times. Its crap getting there, but once you do its lovely! Rolling hills, not to much traffic. Perfection!
Reply 4174
Original post by jj193
my rear cassette won't let me freewheel. I think there's something up with the hub. It gets jammed and won't spin backwards (and I can't stop pedalling). Anyway, if i pour hot water over the cassette and into the hub, it works for a bit and then gets jammed again. Any ideas how to fix it?

It's the freewheel jammed which is part of the cassette, at a guess there must be something inside preventing the pawls of the freewheel engaging with the cassette, it would probably be easier to just replace the cassette. The tools you need depend upon what type of cassette/freewheel you have if you happen to know?
Reply 4175
Wiggins chain broke in the individual time trial in the Tour de Romandie. :frown: Not over yet but that just gives him even more work to do.
Original post by jj193

Take the cassette off and give it a proper cleaning, should do the trick :smile:
Original post by lonelykatana
Nice signature there mate!

Thanks mate :smile:
Away out on a training ride here, need some hill training for Wednesday nights time trial, beat last weeks time :biggrin:
Reply 4179
Wiggo gets a mechanical failure and still wins the individual time trial by 0.70 seconds to win the TdR overall. Legend.

Latest