The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
SoundDevastation
I have a question.. I want to get a book on bicycle maintenance, because i really want to be able to fix my bike myself. Any recommendations?

Park Tools, without a doubt. Its a bit pricey, but it'll tell you how to do pretty much anything. Sheldon Brown is pretty good, but don't expect any updates, because the old guy died a few months back.
Ducki
Park Tools, without a doubt. Its a bit pricey, but it'll tell you how to do pretty much anything. Sheldon Brown is pretty good, but don't expect any updates, because the old guy died a few months back.

cheers! I picked up a general mountain bike info book for £2 at work today, but i really want to get a 'manual' that has everything in it, so i'll get then when i next have cash!

Olyy.. you're welcome :biggrin:
What are good sites that I can find cheap second hand racing bikes?
Reply 43
ebay
Reply 44
eBay would be good, but you'll want to check the bike physically and make sure its not damaged/cracked etc and in good nick. And definately DO NOT buy anything that is carbon fibre and second hand.
BALLS.

Some guy at work was reaally kind to me today and offered to lend me the money to get the rear brake of my bike fixed.

So after work i went to the bike shop down the road (Freewheel, Nottingham). They said is needs a new cable and both front and back brake pads which would come to about £20 including fitting - fine - but then they said its not worth it as my bike is too dangerous to ride.

what?!

One of its previous owners had fitted completely the wrong handle bars/fork fittings and they handlebars could come lose at any time, almost certainly when i was going over a bump or down a curb. :eek:

They found a new fitting and fitted it for me for a tenner.. so its now safe to ride, however the chain and cogs are so worn that they probably wont last long, and that would be a £150+ job.

so... Its not worth spending any money on my bike. Im going to start saving - for a new specialized or trek hybrid, £250-270 - and hopefully i'll be able to trade off this old thing for about £50 (it is still a Trek, and has quality wheels..). But until then i'm going to carry on commuting, and hope the chain lasts until i can afford a new one!
This question is a bit off-topic but I was wondering what would be a good 10km time on a bike? Thanks.
well i ride at about 10mph i think, which is 16km/hour...
SoundDevastation
well i ride at about 10mph i think, which is 16km/hour...

but what about in competitive cycling i.e. a race?
no idea tbh! just google 'racing bike speeds' and im sure something will come up!
This is my kinda thread! I'm something of a hobbyist :biggrin: I cycled London to Barcelona and back last summer. Took 38 days... link in sig :wink:

DriftingBore, I've never done anything competitive (yet), but over a distance of 10km, I could nail an average of probably 20-24mph riding with a team depending on gradients and wind. Maybe a bit less going solo. 10km isn't far at all tbh.

Here's my lovely bike :biggrin: http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/mdcrisp2000/Bike/
Reply 51
I'm in :biggrin:

I'm a roadie and a MTB rider. Use my road bike for work most days (5mile each way) and my MTB is for getting dirty after work and weekends!
mdcrisp2000
This is my kinda thread! I'm something of a hobbyist :biggrin: I cycled London to Barcelona and back last summer. Took 38 days... link in sig :wink:

DriftingBore, I've never done anything competitive (yet), but over a distance of 10km, I could nail an average of probably 20-24mph riding with a team depending on gradients and wind. Maybe a bit less going solo. 10km isn't far at all tbh.

Here's my lovely bike :biggrin: http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/mdcrisp2000/Bike/

Thanks. I've just started cycling and wanted to guage what a good time is.
mdcrisp2000

That is awesome. id love to do that..

As im saving for a new bike i want to take this time to decide on the one I want, with a budget of £250..
What are peoples opinions on the following? what are differences? what should i be looking for?

Ridgeback speed
Trek T30
Trek Navigator 2.0
Specialized Globe

(ive chosen hybrids, as i will be riding mainly along roads/footpaths and want something sturdy rather than fast. Although I am female i prefer men's bikes)
Im in!

As for the above bikes, I used to sell shed loads of Ridgeback Speeds, and for a reason, they are good bikes...lol, also used to sell some of the Treks but is the T30 a little bit more than the speed? and they weigh a tonne.

I would personally go for a "last years" Ridgeback velocity, a bit lighter and more racey than a a speed (could probs pick one up for £250), but still able to fit racks and all that stuff if you want, I think..
i dont need to fit racks.. i dont need QR wheels or anything like that either.. being lighter would be good though, as im not the strongest person in the world :p:

yeah the T30 is more than the speed on Evans, but id probably get a bike through an local dealer. The place i went too today was great, they spent about half an hour going over my bike, trying to find ways to make it safer and only charged me £10 for a part, so they're great on service. TBH the exact price doesnt matter too much.. I am saving up from scratch, so whether i save £220 or 30 more, doesnt make much difference.. i just want the best quality i can get within that price range i guess.
Reply 56
I reckon the Carerra Subway from Halfrauds is better than any of those you've listed up there, may be worth checking out. Believe it or not, their Carerra's get spot on reviews across many biking sites, including MBR. Here's a review.
I wouldn't mind joining this soc. I've been getting into cycling a bit more lately as a roadie :redface: Ive got a Trek Bruiser for messing around in the woods and a 2001 Giant OCR which I managed to get off ebay for 210 quid and was 800 new so I'm happy.
DriftingBore
but what about in competitive cycling i.e. a race?

Well my cousin rides from here in Newton le Willows to manchester airport to work every morning in about 45 minutes and he races professionally in belgium and has raced for team GB
(If you want more info google Matt Brammeier)
Reply 59
My brakes suddenly "adjust" themselves when I'm in the middle of cycling. Also when I'm on the very top gear the gears are so noisy it's unreal. It's a new bike too. Anybody familiar with this?

Latest