The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I remember my first time on a tandem, I was pilot, and it had suicide shifters. The brakes were knacked, and there was about 27 stones worth of riders on the bike, and my mates driveway was downhill, with a blind right turn at the bottom. There's me trying to steer, shift, brake and look out, pretty much all at the same time, on my first time on a tandem. We got about 150m before we had to go back, change our shorts, and carried on riding on seperate bikes :s-smilie:
Ah right, thank you - Looks like I am going to have to wait till I have a bit more money
Ok thank you *steals mums credit card*
I'm interested. I just got back from some 'touring' from York to Windermere in the Lake District, and then back again. The Dales are amazing to cycle through, I highly recommend it.
I would love to do a tour but I doubt that my legs could take it
Reply 127
Right, someone pleeeease help! I wanted to go for a cycle, but the tire wasn't pumped up enough...

The slot thing where the pump goes, also has the thing that stops air escaping, and this valve only lets it in/out when you push it inwards. The pump I have doesn't do this, and I obviously can't push it in while the pump is on :s-smilie:

So what on earth do I do?! Have I just got the wrong kind of pump?

Cheers.
Reply 128
Sam o0o
Right, someone pleeeease help! I wanted to go for a cycle, but the tire wasn't pumped up enough...

The slot thing where the pump goes, also has the thing that stops air escaping, and this valve only lets it in/out when you push it inwards. The pump I have doesn't do this, and I obviously can't push it in while the pump is on :s-smilie:

So what on earth do I do?! Have I just got the wrong kind of pump?

Cheers.

You probably have a presta valva.

Go to a bikeshop and buy a pump that is suitable for use with Prestas :smile:
Yeah, I was suckered by that problem when I was helping a friend
rock_ten
I'm interested. I just got back from some 'touring' from York to Windermere in the Lake District, and then back again. The Dales are amazing to cycle through, I highly recommend it.

oooh.. im planning on going from Nottingham to Kent in a few weeks time. Any tips? I havent really been doing any training, but i ride about 1hour a day. Should I be doing more?
Reply 131
SoundDevastation
oooh.. im planning on going from Nottingham to Kent in a few weeks time. Any tips? I havent really been doing any training, but i ride about 1hour a day. Should I be doing more?

uuh, yes :p: You need to be used to sitting in the saddle for a good few hours at a time. Don't work on speed, you're not in the TdF yet, but go for endurance training.
Reply 132
Ducki
You probably have a presta valva.

Go to a bikeshop and buy a pump that is suitable for use with Prestas :smile:

Cheers mate. That's annoying, I wanted to go cycling everyday, now I gotta wait to get one of those things :frown:
I want to join.
I have a GT Aggressor, and I cycle quite a bit (at least 5 hours a week).
Ducki
uuh, yes :p: You need to be used to sitting in the saddle for a good few hours at a time. Don't work on speed, you're not in the TdF yet, but go for endurance training.

yeah.. i only usually do about 1 hour at a time..

Im planning on cycling to Derby and back (32miles) sometime this week, and if that goes well i might attempt Birmingham and back (110miles) next week sometime. The distance itself is about 160miles, though the last 40/50 miles will be part of a caravan so will be alot slower.

im still up for it! i think :p:

welcome ocelotrevs!
Reply 135
SoundDevastation
yeah.. i only usually do about 1 hour at a time..

Im planning on cycling to Derby and back (32miles) sometime this week, and if that goes well i might attempt Birmingham and back (110miles) next week sometime. The distance itself is about 160miles, though the last 40/50 miles will be part of a caravan so will be alot slower.

im still up for it! i think :p:

welcome ocelotrevs!

You're gonna cycle 120 miles a week after only doing 32? Don't, you'll bonk massively and have to suffer the ignomy of calling out a lift. Have you ever heard of the 10% rule?
hmmm... good point. I was thinking while out cycling just now that maybe Leicester (~60miles) would be better to go for than birmingham!
Reply 137
Yeah, learn to walk before you learn to run (figuratively speaking :p:)
hehe... thats the plan, though the big trip is on the 27th, so not very long to train up! The reason im so keen on cycling really is that if i cycle there and get the train back, the entire journey will cost me only £12.. plus, what better way to travel to the Camp for Climate Action, than transport that doesnt use fossil fuels!
I would say I'm in too but I don't actually own a bike anymore. I'd like to get back into cycling the only downside is that I live on a hill and my town doesn't particularly cater for people who use bikes. There’s not a lot of bike paths apart from in the odd lane and in the park which is usually congested with people. I might start using my brothers bike as he never uses it. In my town I usually walk if I need to get somewhere.

Latest