The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I should get out more
any tips on clothing for long-distance touring? I usually wear cropped/rolled up trousers, a cotton vest and trainers, with a lightweight waterproof when it rains, though Im concerned about being underprepared for this bike ride im planning, especially as i'll have a pretty large backpack to ride with and no idea what the weather is going to do...

suncream, sunhat and waterproof trousers are also on the list..

any tips?
Reply 142
Proper, cycling shorts, such as these (which are really comfy, you'll needs the girly version though, should be easy to find with some googling), and a decent jersey, such as these.

A helmet is a must, as is sunscreen, and gloves as well. Invest in some clipless pedals and proper biking shoes, and you'll be able to go faster and further, whilst expending less energy.

How big is your pack? You'd be better off attaching panniers to your bike, as these lower your centre of gravity, and if you have a spill you're less likely to injure yourself through carrying a FOGB pack.
ooooooh.. I have a lycra shorts/vest thing at home somewhere aswell as a jersey top from when I used to do alot of rowing, They're bright yellow and green (damn yukky norwich colours!), but i guess i'll be easy to spot!

its a 65lt but it will probably be only half-full. I may be using my dad's bike for the ride if its in good condition (i dont really trust mine to go that distance!) which has panniers, so if i use that i might be alright with just a normal back-pack... I am camping for two weeks though, so i will need a fair amount of stuff.

gloves, any i should be looking for? fingerless is best i guess?
Reply 144
SoundDevastation
ooooooh.. I have a lycra shorts/vest thing at home somewhere aswell as a jersey top from when I used to do alot of rowing, They're bright yellow and green (damn yukky norwich colours!), but i guess i'll be easy to spot!

its a 65lt but it will probably be only half-full. I may be using my dad's bike for the ride if its in good condition (i dont really trust mine to go that distance!) which has panniers, so if i use that i might be alright with just a normal back-pack... I am camping for two weeks though, so i will need a fair amount of stuff.

gloves, any i should be looking for? fingerless is best i guess?

Fingerless, as your hands can get quite sweaty, or gloves with light fingers, just to keep a bit of windchill off your hands if its a bit chilly.
Reply 145
Fingerless are good as they do stop your hands overheating more, however the wind may chill your fingers to the bone, depending on the speed you go,
I wear a really thin windproof pair underneath a decent pair of fingerless

Can't really comment on road shorts/jerseys as all my stuff is downhill/mtb stuff,
Same with clip-on shoes etc., i just use a decent pair of cross trainers, in case i need to get one of my feet down quickly to stop a nasty spill
Olyy
Fingerless are good as they do stop your hands overheating more, however the wind may chill your fingers to the bone, depending on the speed you go,
I wear a really thin windproof pair underneath a decent pair of fingerless

Can't really comment on road shorts/jerseys as all my stuff is downhill/mtb stuff,
Same with clip-on shoes etc., i just use a decent pair of cross trainers, in case i need to get one of my feet down quickly to stop a nasty spill

Its a good point with the shoes.. this trip is going to be more of an expedition than a marathon, so at the moment im going for things that are practical for general outdoor use over cycling specifics. I certainly cant afford to buy new shoes, though i will keep a look out for some gloves.
Reply 147
Wiggle have got 'summer cycling gloves' in their July Sale, so they're all 20% off:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ra/Cycle/7/267/
Reply 148
I've got quite a bit of 'dhb' stuff, which, whilst cheap, certainly does the job if you're on a shoestring. Although its all soon to be replaced with Rapha for next years season :love:
Has anyone done a cycling expedition for their Duke of Edinburgh?
no.. ive been using it as the 'sport' section of my gold, but did an exploration on foot.. would be awesome to do though!
SoundDevastation
Its a good point with the shoes.. this trip is going to be more of an expedition than a marathon, so at the moment im going for things that are practical for general outdoor use over cycling specifics. I certainly cant afford to buy new shoes, though i will keep a look out for some gloves.

I know it's expensive and you have to buy new shoes and everything, but I cannot recommend clipless SPDs enough! They make such a huge difference to your performance. As soon as you can get these, do! You can get shoes that have recessed cleats (like mine do) so you can walk around normally and still cycle home at dangerous speeds :biggrin: Honestly, once you get used to 'em you'll never ride without 'em.

As for gloves, get ones with a nice soft snot cloth (the bit on your thumb). There's nothing worse that wiping away your bogies (or your sweat) with rough material and scratchy stitching!
Reply 152
mdcrisp2000
I know it's expensive and you have to buy new shoes and everything, but I cannot recommend clipless SPDs enough! They make such a huge difference to your performance. As soon as you can get these, do! You can get shoes that have recessed cleats (like mine do) so you can walk around normally and still cycle home at dangerous speeds :biggrin: Honestly, once you get used to 'em you'll never ride without 'em.

He's right you know, sprinting with normal pedals is really scary. When you're clipped in, you get much better balance and security, and can pull up as well as push down.
mdcrisp2000

As for gloves, get ones with a nice soft snot cloth (the bit on your thumb). There's nothing worse that wiping away your bogies (or your sweat) with rough material and scratchy stitching!

haha.. i didnt know they made gloves that you were supposed to wipe your nose on :p:

i will look out for the shoes.. though i think i'll be sticking with the plimsolos for the time being. As i said it will be more trekking than anything of any speed.. im more concerned about the fact that I will be outdoors for two weeks!
SoundDevastation
haha.. i didnt know they made gloves that you were supposed to wipe your nose on :p:

i will look out for the shoes.. though i think i'll be sticking with the plimsolos for the time being. As i said it will be more trekking than anything of any speed.. im more concerned about the fact that I will be outdoors for two weeks!

Mine are like semi hiking boots anyway... I've done a fair few miles in 'em and they're great! Just not too waterproof... :redface:

Here's what they look like:
Reply 155
Cycled from Neath to Afan Argoed (via Cimla to those who know the area) did the Penhydd Trail, and then had a jacket potato and beans in the cafe, due to seriously feeling maxxed out towards the end of the ride! I then had to cycle back, and boy did i feel bad, i'm just glad i had a bit of food cos it gave me the energy which got me home lol Took me 4 and a half hours, cycling there, doing the trail and getting back, but haven't done a ride over 2 hours for ages so was very tough especially considering some of the hills getting there and coming back are very steep both ways! Won't be doing a ride like that for a while, feel quite stiff today!
bmh16
Cycled from Neath to Afan Argoed (via Cimla to those who know the area) did the Penhydd Trail, and then had a jacket potato and beans in the cafe, due to seriously feeling maxxed out towards the end of the ride! I then had to cycle back, and boy did i feel bad, i'm just glad i had a bit of food cos it gave me the energy which got me home lol Took me 4 and a half hours, cycling there, doing the trail and getting back, but haven't done a ride over 2 hours for ages so was very tough especially considering some of the hills getting there and coming back are very steep both ways! Won't be doing a ride like that for a while, feel quite stiff today!

you wouldnt want to go 160miles then? hmm! i think i will be packing lots of food!! what food is best for endurance?

Though im guessing from doing my DofE in wales that your area is rather hilly?
Reply 157
SoundDevastation
what food is best for endurance?

Pasta. Invest in some energy gels as well, for when you're on the fly.
energy gels?
Reply 159
SoundDevastation
energy gels?

They're little packets of.. gel.. about the size of a sample sachet of shampoo, basically packed with sugar and energy. You can get them from Holland and Barrett. Just remember to drink loads of water with them.. (or thats what i was trained to tell people)

Latest