The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RyanT
Going to sit down and watch A Shrek time trial against I'll cut your head off with a bottle of Hobgoblin :biggrin: Action starts in 30 minutes I think. God save ITV4

Can't believe the psycho's going to win the tour.
Can't believe Fabian didn't take 1st :'(
Reply 1921
Original post by Roobsa
Got a quick question. The Langster my brother is giving me is a 56cm frame but I think that's going to be too big for me. I think I need about a 54cm frame. Is the 2cm going to make a difference? On paper I'd guess not, but I just don't want to send it off for servicing only to find it's unridable for me.

It shouldn't be a problem, you'll probably find that you're stretched out a bit more than on a bike that fits you... But I know some shorter gents that ride 25" frames, I'm 6'6" and 25in is about right for me... So each to their own. If you find it uncomfortable, move the saddle forward and perhaps invest in a shorter stem (:
Hope that helps!!
Original post by Roobsa
Got a quick question. The Langster my brother is giving me is a 56cm frame but I think that's going to be too big for me. I think I need about a 54cm frame. Is the 2cm going to make a difference? On paper I'd guess not, but I just don't want to send it off for servicing only to find it's unridable for me.

To be honest, size differences only really matter when its in the double digits. 2cms wont have any effect whatsoever. :smile:
Reply 1923
Original post by DH-Biker
To be honest, size differences only really matter when its in the double digits. 2cms wont have any effect whatsoever. :smile:

Original post by owliver
It shouldn't be a problem, you'll probably find that you're stretched out a bit more than on a bike that fits you... But I know some shorter gents that ride 25" frames, I'm 6'6" and 25in is about right for me... So each to their own. If you find it uncomfortable, move the saddle forward and perhaps invest in a shorter stem (:
Hope that helps!!

Cheers guys. I just don't want the seat to be too low as I think that can look a bit odd on road bikes.
Original post by DH-Biker

Sorry but that is absolute rubbish.
Reply 1925
Original post by itzRussian
Can't believe the psycho's going to win the tour.
Can't believe Fabian didn't take 1st :'(

Ughh...it's all over.

It's offical, Europe lost the time trial to the Australians :frown:

Having said that, Shrek is a great climber but being GC isn't just being a one trick pony. Funny to see his brother do almost as well in the time trial...

...still a great result for the brothers though, being 2nd and 3rd is the next best thing to being 1st and 2nd.
Reply 1926
Original post by RyanT
Ughh...it's all over.

It's offical, Europe lost the time trial to the Australians :frown:

Having said that, Shrek is a great climber but being GC isn't just being a one trick pony. Funny to see his brother do almost as well in the time trial...

...still a great result for the brothers though, being 2nd and 3rd is the next best thing to being 1st and 2nd.

A german won the time trial, Europe didn't lose. :smile: I support HTC so it was great to see Tony Martin do so well.
The Schlek's should be dissapointed, not for the obvious "One of us didn't come first" but because this was such a climbers tour. There was only 1 ITT and even that was shortened in length! Look back over the "flat" stages and you'll see some of them ended in, or had hills in them (albeit small ones). Everyone knows they can't TT very well, so they should have taken advantage of the mountain stages more than they did. I'm not saying they could have done this, but if they wanted to win they needed a bigger buffer going into that single, shortened TT.

Kudo's to Cadel for making back that time in the mountain stages, he rode like a beast. Same for Contador, after all the crashes in the first week and the injured knee, he came back with an awesome ride on the alpe'dhuez and a great TT to finish in the top 5, he should be feared next year.

I should be on a ride for the club now....but I don't feel too good and my 'good' bike's in the workshop :frown: I serviced my 20 year old 'winter hack' yesterday, but I still don't feel like riding it over 50 miles :tongue:
Original post by venenecinema

I've never met anyone who has had a problem with their riding if they were 1-9cm above or below the designated cm sizing guide.
Granted, most of my mates ride DH and therefore the bikes aren't sized as Mountain or Road bikes are, but those who ride full-sus all mountain or XC bikes aren't experiencing any problems when they are above or below, either.
DH bikes, similarly to DJ, Trials, BMX etc, are sized differently to the guides that represent cross-country and all-mountain, along with road, hybrid, etc. which are allocated the same size graphs.
Not that fractionally smaller, which 1-9 is really, really matters anyway.
Reply 1929
Original post by venenecinema

So are you saying 2cm would matter? I'm not disputing, just asking as I don't want to spend the money getting a bike fully serviced only to not be able to ride it comfortably.
Too easy for Cav
Reply 1931
Original post by Roobsa
So are you saying 2cm would matter? I'm not disputing, just asking as I don't want to spend the money getting a bike fully serviced only to not be able to ride it comfortably.

Is it unrideable in its current condition?
You could visit your LBS (the one that has Langsters) and see if they have the same one to test ride? (:

I personally don't think the 2cm will matter, unless you needed the saddle slammed on the smaller frame!
Tried going on a 40 mile round trip today along the coast today, but the crowds along the seafront were just :zomg: I ended up clipping someone because it was so busy. Think I might try a bike ride along the Downs soon - hopefully won't be as busy as the seafront.
Reply 1933
Original post by owliver
Is it unrideable in its current condition?
You could visit your LBS (the one that has Langsters) and see if they have the same one to test ride? (:

I personally don't think the 2cm will matter, unless you needed the saddle slammed on the smaller frame!

The bike is in bits at the moment. I wouldn't be able to put it back together I don't think. I'm going up to Edinburgh tomorrow (that's where the bike is) and the Edinburgh Bike Co. is just round the corner so I'll go in there and have a talk with them. Hopefully it'll be OK to ride. Wanted a road bike for so long.
Reply 1934
Original post by Roobsa
The bike is in bits at the moment. I wouldn't be able to put it back together I don't think. I'm going up to Edinburgh tomorrow (that's where the bike is) and the Edinburgh Bike Co. is just round the corner so I'll go in there and have a talk with them. Hopefully it'll be OK to ride. Wanted a road bike for so long.

Good luck (: I'm sure it'll be fine!!
wondering where this thread was. Been posting in TDF thread in recent weeks.

First ride today in 2 months and it was fun.

19 miles, 1hr 10mins, not a blistering pace, top speed of 34 mph but it felt more.

Lovely warm weather, great sunshine. Good job I was wearing sunglasses today, so many flies!!!
30 mins on the turbo just now. Some of it could be classed as HIIT, some not so much. Just about building up my stamina, fitness, strength and appetite for exercise once again, after recent illness, holidays and work.

Plan to do the same 19 mile route tomorrow, outdoors, and trim a few minutes off my time, should I be arsed to do so. Playing a tennis match tomorrow evening so mindful I don't want to tire myself out for the 3 hours of tennis later in the day.

Anyone else cycling atm?
Reply 1937
Haven't been on a bike in a few weeks. Would like to have gone out today, but couldn't face being sat on a saddle - rather sore from rowing :colondollar:
Finally got back on a bike today. Hurt a bit, but OK. I cycled across Parker's Piece home, quite slowly and have concluded that by the time I get back from holiday next week I'll be cycling to work again :smile: Until the next accident anyway :frown:
The weather is bloody glorious again, today.

Have some food for an early lunch and out I go on my bike. Good times.

Latest