The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
eulerww
how you in £42k of debt if you are only paying top up fees.

im guessing
£3k fees
£3.5k accomodation
£3.5k living

£10k total - 4th year- so max debt £40k

you must have savings froms part time job in 6th form/summer job during uni

how has it got to £42k

Easily, and I'm doing well! Most of my grad friends are in a far worse state! I have full loans each year, and took out a PSL in year 1. I've also worked throughout!

Can you tell me where I can get a years accommodation for 3.5K in London please? Would love to know
Reply 21
So long as they are not in the UK soley for educational purposes etc...
I was looking at this and wondering how much does a london student pay per week for accomodation if its £5000 per year. Just out of bieng nosey.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Ive never been to london and dont intend to but what makes people go to London for uni i dont get it.
Reply 23
Most of my friends are paying around £110-£120 a week for 11 months ~ so, yeah, about £5k

What's depressing is what will happen fromt he summer with most London Trusts planning to charge F1s £600 a month for hovelly hospital accommodation!!! £7,200 of your wages gone on a ****e hole... I'm guessing that most people will live out, there will be less "good grace" if a doctor has a 30 minute journey to get home that a 5 minute wonder, and patient care will suffer.
fairy spangles
I was looking at this and wondering how much does a london student pay per week for accomodation if its £5000 per year. Just out of bieng nosey.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Ive never been to london and dont intend to but what makes people go to London for uni i dont get it.

My friends and I are househunting at the moment and it's working out around 6k for 12 months...approx £120/125 a week. And that's pretty much rockbottom in Camden and the surrounding area.

I reckon London's been worth it for me. I'm incredibly happy with the location, course and friends. There's much more to do in London, plus I've found student nights in clubs and the union much cheaper for a nightout than at home (in the region of £10/20 cheaper which is significant).
Reply 25
Most landlords want you to have a 12 month contract and that's what really whacks the cost up.

I'm on £95pw this year but my house next yr is £115pw. (excluding big bills!)

There are a few places for 70pw-ish, but they're not good.
Bloody hell £115-£120 a week - thats pretty much 3-4 weeks rent for me. Even halls is less than that! Are they nice houses or small in london - my friend was telling me the houses are tiny. I am very london uneducated here am i didnt quite believe them when they were telling me all of these things.
I sign a 12 month contract but its half rent during the summer and i can stop in the house if i want to!
Makes me think i should stop whinging really!!
Reply 27
Small rooms. Bedrooms are like 10ft by 9ft for £110 a week
i.e "A small double room"
becca2389
My friends and I are househunting at the moment and it's working out around 6k for 12 months...approx £120/125 a week. And that's pretty much rockbottom in Camden and the surrounding area.

I reckon London's been worth it for me. I'm incredibly happy with the location, course and friends. There's much more to do in London, plus I've found student nights in clubs and the union much cheaper for a nightout than at home (in the region of £10/20 cheaper which is significant).

6K each?

If you were to rent a 5 bedroom house between 5 of you, what do you think the average cost will be per person?
Reply 29
callum9999
6K each?

If you were to rent a 5 bedroom house between 5 of you, what do you think the average cost will be per person?

About the same... A 5 bed house in central london proper is probably gonna set you back somewhere in the region of £600-800 a week. Hell, a small one bed flat around here (City) costs around £400 a week to rent...
Fluffy
About the same... A 5 bed house in central london proper is probably gonna set you back somewhere in the region of £600-800 a week. Hell, a small one bed flat around here (City) costs around £400 a week to rent...

Thanks, I was probably being a bit naive about that. You could get a similar house for that price per month here!
At the minute I spend £7200 per year, all in (it will go up, but its a fairly decent ball park figure).
Reply 32
christ, I knew london was expensive (hence why I didn't apply!), but still! and Oxford :O

my rent last year was 2200 for 12 months :biggrin: And thats pretty standard for Cardiff - gotta love Wales!!
Reply 33
if the fees change in 2010? But I get a place in 2009 and defer till 2010 would i be on the old or new system for fees?
Reply 34
you will be on the old fees.

There are people who started in '06 but are on '05 fees cause they deferred.
Reply 35
martin101
At the minute I spend £7200 per year, all in (it will go up, but its a fairly decent ball park figure).

i take it 'all in' means inc' tuition fees, accom and everything?
Reply 36
Miss Monkey
Maybe it's just because I'm in London but I've had this year:
£3000 give or take fees
£5000 accomodation
£4000 living/travel/food etc.

I just checked, my room in catered halls costs just under £4000 for the year. £5000 sounds like a lot, especially for self-catered :eek: But even without being in London, I don't know how I'm meant to pay for anything else when I don't qualify for much of a maintenance grant and my parents aren't keen on giving me anything :confused: Get a job I spose...
At a wild guess, what do you think the fees for Medicine will go up to in 2010?
Fluffy
Easily, and I'm doing well! Most of my grad friends are in a far worse state! I have full loans each year, and took out a PSL in year 1.

What bank did you use? Natwest and others seem to give out to second years and above. Although the cooperative offer a government funded loan if that was similar to what you got?
Reply 39
piece_by_piece
At a wild guess, what do you think the fees for Medicine will go up to in 2010?

the figure quotes is £10,000. but I wonder whether this is a tactic to scare people, then when they only go up to £5,000 say, people are relieved. This is only my wild speculation though so don't count on it!

Latest

Trending

Trending