The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Northumbria Uni!

Okie-dokie!

I'm currently on a year out before uni, and I can't wait for it to start!

So! I'll be starting my English Literature course at Northumbria University in September, and I was just wondering if anyone else was coming here, and what they'll be doing!

Sadly, because I live up in Newcastle (Was born down South - but I'm a bloody Northerner! :biggrin:) it would have taken at least a month for me to get a place in Uni accomodation, so I won't be meeting people that way... However, I've landed myself a house in Newcastle with two of my best mates who will be starting their second year of study in Sept, so all is cool!

Anyway... That slight ramble aside... Anyone else going to Northumbria? What're you studying and where are you staying?

I'm motivated by excited curiousity!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im off to northumbria (hopefully!) in september to study law.
Im excited hehe. I'm only from durham so not far to come at all.

Im going to live in halls- quay point and camden court were my preferences.

My exams went appauling though so god knows if ill get the ABB I need lol.
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
Hey! Im going in sept too...well hopefully. To study psychology...am quite excited! Am gunna stay in halls too.
Reply 3
I'm (hopefully) coming in September to study 'Multimedia and Digital Entertainment Computing'.

Very excited, but I'm moving in with my fiancé so I'm a little bit worried I won't make friends for Fresher's Week, what with not being in halls.
Reply 4
Kerry350
I'm (hopefully) coming in September to study 'Multimedia and Digital Entertainment Computing'.

Very excited, but I'm moving in with my fiancé so I'm a little bit worried I won't make friends for Fresher's Week, what with not being in halls.

Ah, that's a bit of a concern for myself, because of living with some of my frieds - but I reckon it won't be a problem! There's so much queuing and the like during the day, and everyone is anxious, so just try and spark up conversations with everyone! That's what I'm gonna try and do! :smile:

Also, was considering putting a post up nearer the time for TSR dudes and dudettes starting at Northumbria or Newcastle to maybe meet up for a drink. so that way everyone will know someone! :biggrin:

Was just a thought, but I'll think more on it :smile:

Edit: On that note, actually... What'd be your opinions on that guys? Think it may be a good idea?
Reply 5
yeh i think thts quite a cool idea! Will probs help people to settle in a bit!
Reply 6
i think that wld be a good idea too
Reply 7
newcastle is one of the easiest cities to get to know people i reckon, some tips for making friends,
. get the freshers band- it may seem like a slight waste of money but your bound to meet some people,
. get a job working in the club industry- working in promotions of clubs is bound to land you a few friends. plus you wont need to pay to get in anywhere.
. actually go to your lectures/seminars( i missed out on this bit and it really affected me, i had like 6 freshers weeks with my friends from halls and didnt go to many seminars, after that period of time when i turned up everyone was in little groups who new each other and i was left on my own, i didnt find out a persons name till jan. bit of a mistake really. it caused me to miss more and more lectures/seminars and i ended up with a 6% attendance shocking i know. how ive passed ill never know.
. join one of the sports teams/societies- join the football/cricket/rugby teams there are some col peeps on the sports teams, plus ya get free entry into mood on a wednesday f ya a member :biggrin:,
hit osborne road. this is much more sociable as its all pubs so meeting people is easy.
. if youve got friends up there become friends with there mates. this is a great idea as it allows you to meet people your friends already approve of and know so they propably have the same interests as you . can lead to a good bit of networking.

-Smoke- well im not litterally encouraging but ciggerette breaks can be a good way to meet people when your new and its quiet so ya can chat without music blaing. youll find loads of new people in the same situation as you!

The best advice i can give you though is get a job, lots of people say dont bother in first year, ya wanna enjoy just relaxing etc, but its a sure fire way to meet people plus ya earn money,

im returning sometime in august to my nice new house in jesmond, canee wait :biggrin:
hope all of this helps
charlieb89
Hey! Im going in sept too...well hopefully. To study psychology...am quite excited! Am gunna stay in halls too.

Im doing psychology too..very excited :smile:

What is your offer and do you have your accommodation yet?
Reply 9
hayles101
Im doing psychology too..very excited :smile:

What is your offer and do you have your accommodation yet?

hey its three B's...hope i get it!! although i did ring to ask if they would accept AAC instead as im struggling with one of my subjects but i am basically gauranteed A's in the other two and they said yes so that is good! No i think you find out after your place is confirmed. I'm very excited about starting the course! :biggrin:
charlieb89
hey its three B's...hope i get it!! although i did ring to ask if they would accept AAC instead as im struggling with one of my subjects but i am basically gauranteed A's in the other two and they said yes so that is good! No i think you find out after your place is confirmed. I'm very excited about starting the course! :biggrin:

Ah exact same with me..worried about my geog results so glad to hear theyll accept AAC :smile:

Ive never done psychology before so not sure what to expect but I find it so interesting so really cant wait. Ive applied to quay point and camden court, fingers crossed.
Reply 11
hayles101
Ah exact same with me..worried about my geog results so glad to hear theyll accept AAC :smile:

Ive never done psychology before so not sure what to expect but I find it so interesting so really cant wait. Ive applied to quay point and camden court, fingers crossed.

i did it at a-level and its my fav subject, its soooo interesting and its amazing to learn why and how things happen and why people act the way they do! Plus you can relate it to everything around you which i love! Yh i've applied to there aswel! I'm so glad college is over and im moving away and going to meet so many new people and make loads of new friend :biggrin: you coming from far away? I live just an hour on train frm newcastle so not too far but far enough!
charlieb89
i did it at a-level and its my fav subject, its soooo interesting and its amazing to learn why and how things happen and why people act the way they do! Plus you can relate it to everything around you which i love! Yh i've applied to there aswel! I'm so glad college is over and im moving away and going to meet so many new people and make loads of new friend :biggrin: you coming from far away? I live just an hour on train frm newcastle so not too far but far enough!

Aww well thats not to far. For me my everything will totally change, Im from Northern Ireland so im moving away and will only be home on the hols at easter, christmas and summer. Never lived in england before, let alone Newcastle so its going to be sooo different and so much of a change for me but really cant wait :smile: When are you going over then? It says on my ucas thing that the start is 22nd september but I dont know whether thats when classes are or if thats when you go over for enrolment and freshers week?

Thats really cool about the psychology stuff, I know ill love it. Feel like such a geek but I cant wait to do my course :redface:
Reply 13
hayles101
Aww well thats not to far. For me my everything will totally change, Im from Northern Ireland so im moving away and will only be home on the hols at easter, christmas and summer. Never lived in england before, let alone Newcastle so its going to be sooo different and so much of a change for me but really cant wait :smile: When are you going over then? It says on my ucas thing that the start is 22nd september but I dont know whether thats when classes are or if thats when you go over for enrolment and freshers week?

Thats really cool about the psychology stuff, I know ill love it. Feel like such a geek but I cant wait to do my course :redface:

woah ireland! wow! huge change lol! I think i would be too scared to move so far lol. I dunno when im going up...im just gunna wait till we get like proper info about when freshers is and then go a day or so before maybe.

i feel like a bit of a geek too but i've had a tough couple of weeks now, bf broke up with me and stuff so i cant wait for the new start!
charlieb89
woah ireland! wow! huge change lol! I think i would be too scared to move so far lol. I dunno when im going up...im just gunna wait till we get like proper info about when freshers is and then go a day or so before maybe.

i feel like a bit of a geek too but i've had a tough couple of weeks now, bf broke up with me and stuff so i cant wait for the new start!

Oh sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon :smile:

You know I assumed you were a guy for some reason, I think cause your name is used for both guys and girls, I just assumed, sorry Im silly like that lol.

The sooner the better for me, I finished school the first week of May and finished exams midJune so getting bored now, ready for the whole uni thing to just happen :biggrin:
Reply 15
haha no am nt a boy :P but im not a girly girl either! Been to work tonight...the joy! just got in and about to go to bed.

yeh same for me about being bored and stuff...my bro leaves school this week and im glad cos now i will have some company lol.

Uni will be good :biggrin:
anyway off to bed for some sleep now
nite nite x
Reply 16
I'm starting a nursing course at Northumbria in september. Was going to start in March but a lady called me today asking me if i would like a place for september so yay!

Really excited but nervous cause i dont think i know anyone who's going. Eep!
Reply 17
MaryK08
I'm starting a nursing course at Northumbria in september. Was going to start in March but a lady called me today asking me if i would like a place for september so yay!

Really excited but nervous cause i dont think i know anyone who's going. Eep!

neither do i but it will be cool cos everyone will be in the same boat about not knowing anyone...it willbe an adventure!!!
Reply 18
Most certainly will be!

And it won't end after the three years...i wish to study the Midwifery short course then so that wil be yet another great adventure!
Reply 19
MaryK08
Most certainly will be!

And it won't end after the three years...i wish to study the Midwifery short course then so that wil be yet another great adventure!

haha yh sounds good :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending