The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
ch0c0h01ic
I was denied the right to buy a small 200g bag of Whiskey Truffles in Thorntons when i was in fact 18 (didn't have my ID). Again, very very low alcohol content, small quantity and i was turned away.

They did a study on TV, and to consume sufficient alcohol from alcoholic truffles to actually be over the drink drive limit they had to eat several kilos of chocolates. Far cry from my 200g.

Liquor chocolates are age 16 to buy aswell :eek:
I can understand it, but it still annoying as hell. I've been with my mother doing the weekly shop in tesco when she's been told she couldn't get a bottle of cider to cook with cos I was 17 at the time.

As for the ID thing, most places I've been to (so thats supermarkets, and pubs etc) will only accept driving licences or passports. So at least £50 really. Nearly everywhere around where I live do not accept citizen cards, validate cards or any other card unless its a driving licence or passport.
Reply 222
I once ID'd someone for buying an energy drink :redface:

It was a new brand, looked just like a can of cider :redface:
i remember thinkin how cool i looked drinkin shandy bass.
BlackHawk
Which supermarket do you work for? I have to make a note never to go there.

Cashiers may be doing their job, but they should use their common sense.

That will be the policy in every shop.

It is illegal for an adult to buy alcohol specifically to give it to an underage person.

The cashier must use their judgements as to whether or not to serve tham as they CAN get doen by the law for selling it.

When I was a chasier it only ever became an issue if groups of teens came in and soem looked 16 and some looked 18.

If someone who was 40 came in with a 16 year old I would serve them regardless to be honest, because it is almost impossible to tell if they are buyign it for the younger person unless somehtign baout their body language/actions give it away.
Reply 225
Clubber Lang

If someone who was 40 came in with a 16 year old I would serve them regardless to be honest, because it is almost impossible to tell if they are buyign it for the younger person unless somehtign baout their body language/actions give it away.

And what they're buying. >.>;

I had a reasonably 'older' lady (mid 50s?) come in with her two teenage daughters - She attempted to but, within the weekly shop, a crate of WKD Blue, a pack of WKD red, a pack of Smirnoff Ice, two bottles of Archers Peach and a cheap bottle of vodka.

In the end, my supervisor ruled no sale.
Harsh call!

I couldnt really care less if they gave it to the younger people anyway
Reply 227
Clubber Lang
Harsh call!

I couldnt really care less if they gave it to the younger people anyway

I could - It's my job on the line!!
Where I worked people were more likely to sell alcohol to an underage person due to intimidation rather than being ignorant on the law etc.
Spotty Dog
I could - It's my job on the line!!

But if you were serving an older woman who was later found to have bought the drinks for the teenagers, would it really come back to you if it was the woman you served, not the teenagers?
Reply 230
RightSaidJames
But if you were serving an older woman who was later found to have bought the drinks for the teenagers, would it really come back to you if it was the woman you served, not the teenagers?

If it was a test purchase, yes. (Morrisons do these as well as trading standards)
Depends on if you could have noticed and prevented it I guess.

Shops tend to err o nthe side of caution because they dont want to get done by the law

Now would be a good time to tell you that due to the law changing on cigarettes that cigarette testing purchases wil lgo up in volume and this will prob have the knock on effect of increasing alcohol test purchases.
Reply 232
The group ID thing is a bit harsh, it's not your fault if someone goes on to give alcohol to someone underage (chances are it'll never get back to the cashier anyway). We now have to put in how old we think the customer is when we sell age related products. It's ridiculous, they're taking all this way too far now
Reply 233
Clubber Lang

Shops tend to err o nthe side of caution because they dont want to get done by the law

I tend to always call my supervisor over if I'm in the least bit worried about a purchase. That way, the blame of serving them is on her and not me. :smile:
ChemistBoy
I got refused a sale of alcohol a week or so ago in Tesco, despite having ID because I said hello to a young lad who plays in the same brass band as me who was in the store with his parents on the next till over! I'm 27! I was told that they couldn't serve me because they believed I was buying for a teenager (yes, because teenagers tend to drink glenfiddich, don't they?), so I just said if they weren't going to serve me alcohol for that ridiculous reason then I wasn't going to buy any of my shopping there (it was our weekly shop so the belt was full) and I just walked out leaving all the goods on the belt drove round to morrisons, bought the shopping and the whisky and am waiting for a response to my letter of complaint. It is one thing to ensure that underage drinkers are not supplied with alcohol, it is quite another to assume that customers are criminals to protect your backs against legal action by the police.

Hahahaha!! Repped...
Think 25 is far to strict, it's getting on for ten years older than the age limit!
Reply 236
HJV
I once ID'd someone for buying an energy drink :redface:

It was a new brand, looked just like a can of cider :redface:

Oh yeah, i got ID'd at ASDA Yesturday for one (it's 16) i was like :s:, a tad embarassing
Reply 237
Spotty Dog
And what they're buying. >.>;

I had a reasonably 'older' lady (mid 50s?) come in with her two teenage daughters - She attempted to but, within the weekly shop, a crate of WKD Blue, a pack of WKD red, a pack of Smirnoff Ice, two bottles of Archers Peach and a cheap bottle of vodka.

In the end, my supervisor ruled no sale.

If she's buying it i don't see why she can't buy it. As long as she walks out of the store with it, and as it seems she's taking it home, if she gives it to her children there it's legal. So if my parents were having a party and i went with them to get the booze, they would get refused, even if i wasn't attending? That rule is pathetic in my opinion, unless there is proof or suspicion that the adult is buying it for underage people they should be allowed to buy whatever they like. :s-smilie:
Reply 238
Beckieee
If she's buying it i don't see why she can't buy it. As long as she walks out of the store with it, and as it seems she's taking it home, if she gives it to her children there it's legal. So if my parents were having a party and i went with them to get the booze, they would get refused, even if i wasn't attending? That rule is pathetic in my opinion, unless there is proof or suspicion that the adult is buying it for underage people they should be allowed to buy whatever they like. :s-smilie:

But there was suspicion? o-o;
Reply 239
Think 25 is fair enough, but the group policy seems to be taking it a bit too far. Some of these stories about people well over 18 not being allowed to buy alcohol just for being seen near or with under 18s are ridiculous, like the two girls with an 8 year old. How likely is it that 2 18/19 year olds or whatever it was are going to be buying alcohol for an 8 year old rather than for themselves?! Or the people banned for saying hi to someone underage/without ID who isn't even with them. If they were trying to pretend to be separate to buy alcohol, why on earth would they talk in the queue?!

People should exercise some judgement and common sense in these cases...

In HMV the other week, my friend got ID'd for a DVD which was rated 12 or 15 or something. We were all 16. (God I hope it wasn't a 12...) We managed to produce bus passes and gym cards which are only issued to over 16s but they weren't having any of it. That was annoying. They don't usually bother for films... I'm sure it was annoying to the people behind us too who had to wait while we tried to find some form of ID.

Latest

Trending

Trending