The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You do realise underage drinking is another scapegoat.

Spotty Dog said "Most people I ID have a little "Oh I knew that was coming" moment and hand over the ID; Nothing to hide is nothing to worry about." But it effing grinds my gears, as I do this because I get harrassed time and time again, more so annoying when I am trying to bag my weekley shop and get id'd for that one bloody bottle of pear cider half way through, come on! Does anyone know what the staff write on that form in Sainsburys when you get id'd; better not be any info like my name!

Moreso it is a joke as said Sainsburys is next to the uni, most of its custom is uni students as its the only supermarket in the city yet they id every bloody one of us in a group.

What annoys me most is I am made to feel guilty when I get 'the look'! Thats what annoys me the apprehension of being id'd I still feel nervous about it even though im going on 20, as if you have something to hide. Its nonsense!
Reply 241
I think that the rules regarding alcohol in the UK are completly over the top. I also think that challenge 25 is stupid. According to the law it is illegal for under 18's to buy alcohol. Fine. ID everyone who looks under 18 or could be under 18. I agree that if they are over 18 then they will have nothing to hide and schemes like Pass exist to provide cheap forms of ID.

Its also illegal for someone to buy alcohol on the behalf of someone under 18. However the wording of the law is that shops can only be prosecuted if the person selling the alcohol KNOWINGLY sells it to the person KNOWING that it will be passed on to someone who is underage. Targeting a 40 year old with a kid in a push chair is not realistic (Actually saw this in my local Sainsburys. The guy was refused the sale as he had a child with him).

In addition to this group IDing is not something which is a recommended business practice.
I have found a guide for businesses produced by the British Retail Consortium, along with a few others, and its guidelines for safe sales of alcohol are as follows:

Do not sell to young people under 18

Do not allow anyone under 18 to sell alcohol unless authorised by
an approved person at the time of sale

Do not sell to anyone who is drunk

Do not sell alcohol outside the hours as stipulated in your licence

Do not allow drinking on the premises unless stipulated in your
licence

http://www.sthelenschamber.com/SSA/pdfs%5CRRA.pdf

Also taken directly from a leaflet produced by Nottingham City Council:

It is a criminal offence for corporate bodies,
licensees and their staff to sell alcohol to
persons under the age of 18 years.
It is a criminal offence for a licensee or
manager to knowingly allow the sale of
intoxicating liquor to a person under 18. For
example, you are guilty of a criminal offence
if you knowingly allow your staff to make
such underage sales.
It is a criminal offence for an adult to buy
alcohol on behalf of a person under 18.
The law does not permit anyone under the
age of 18 to sell alcohol unless the sale is
specifically approved by a designated
premises supervisor.

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/tsbi34alcohol.pdf

So i think that this practice which seems to have crept into the industry of IDing not only the person buying alcohol but most individuals who are with the person, or have had contact with the person in store or even random people who appear under the age of 25 in the immediate vacinity of the purchaser is completly ridiculous.
IDing in general is just completly over the top now though. I got IDed a few weeks back for buying a 15 rated PS3 magazine. Im 20, 6ft tall and have a beard and moustache for gods sake! Did they really think i was 14?!
Then the woman on the till took ages examining the birth date on my red driving license. You have to be at least 16 to have a driving license let alone it being a full driving license so I was clearly way over 16! :mad:
Sorry for the rant :redface:
RightSaidJames
How does one go about getting such a job? It sounds like a cool thing to do.

it is cool and we have such a laugh and it often ends up in the pub ourselves on the way back. the company i work for pay for everything and by the hour and for lunch meals too. its a bit random sometimes really busy then nothing for a few days but tht fits in. the webby is www.challenge21.co.uk or www.think21.co.uk or www.answers.uk.com :woo:
Reply 243
It's fine with me

I just won't shop at Morrison's then
nat_a_tat_tat
it is cool and we have such a laugh and it often ends up in the pub ourselves on the way back. the company i work for pay for everything and by the hour and for lunch meals too. its a bit random sometimes really busy then nothing for a few days but tht fits in. the webby is www.challenge21.co.uk or www.think21.co.uk or www.answers.uk.com :woo:

Thanks for that. I've sent them an email showing my interest.
Reply 245
Got Id in a game store the other day cause the game was a 15 rating. I mean seriously.. Im 21.

"Do you have any ID?"
ID for what? It's a 15
"Yeah.. so got any ID?"
What? No, I dont carry ID to purchase 15 games, get your manager.
"Hey (manager's name) does this kid look over 15?"
"He looks over 20, what are you on about??"

Total over-reacting by some people. and it's even worse for alcohol.

What I hate is going into a shop to buy alcohol, approaching a till and then seeing the duty manager run over to the till person and say (quite loudly) "ID that guy, he deffinatly isnt 18!). Well guess that's why I have the university degree and you're working nightshifts in Tescos moron, because you clearly have no common sense or customer service skills.

It's damn annoying. Dont even get me started on the group IDing as well..
Reply 246
My local is impossible to enjoy anymore.

IDed at door, IDed at bar every time, IDed at table.

Particularly embarassing for the young professional couples in their late 20s. When did the country go like this?
Reply 247
it sucks, anyone who's a part of this should be pretty ****ing ashamed of themselves, yet another thing that's slowly (well, quickly) making this country the least 'liveable' in Europe.

is alcohol regulated to this extent in the rest of Europe? No, so just why the **** do you imagine we are going to accept it here?!

aaaargh this thread literally rises my blood pressure!!! deep breaths!! happy thoughts!! :p:
It is pretty annoying when they group ID, mostly because when there is a group of 6 of you, there will be one person who has left their ID at home! But they still wont sell you alcohol!
Its fine, we do this too. At first I found it a bit to strict, but the more I think about it, the less I can see the flaws. :smile:
Reply 250
I think it's stupid and a bit over the top.
Desperate Prayer
Its fine, we do this too. At first I found it a bit to strict, but the more I think about it, the less I can see the flaws. :smile:

Even when something like that happens to me? (see the above post). Why should someone be obliged to carry ID just so their friend will be served alcohol :s-smilie:
Its unfortunate, but I think that generally, the benefits outweigh the gains.
Reply 253
Desperate Prayer
Its unfortunate, but I think that generally, the benefits outweigh the gains.

How?
Reply 254
Does what he said actually make sense or am I being stupid? :confused:
Its late, and no it doesnt :p:

I just think that on the whole it will stop people who are to young to buy alcohol from buying it, unfortunately we have to suffer some inconveniences to do so :p: would they have ID'd you, do you think, if the rules were still under 21s must show some?
I'm a bartender and officially we're challenge 21, but we've unofficially already started challenging 25. I ask anyone who looks much under 30. Not losing my job and getting charged some unbelievable police fine, plus being unable to ever work a bar again because some ******* put up by the police turns up and tries it on.
Reply 257
the point is that alcohol should not policed to the extent it is by the police and licensing authority.

I understand that the shops and by consequence the cashiers are only trying to cover themselves. (except Morrissons who seem to be going above and beyond their nelgal obligations)

ultimate responsibility lies with the government. The fact is in a free society it is not acceptable for the retail of commodities to be policed to this extent, at all.

It's a really sorry state of affairs, you can see why so many people are emigrating...
Reply 258
Dionysus
Not losing my job and getting charged some unbelievable police fine, plus being unable to ever work a bar again because some ******* put up by the police turns up and tries it on.

Exactly. At the end of the day, it's your night out, but it's my job on the line. And frankly, I'm going to be selfish and prefer to keep my job, thanks.

Desperate Prayer

Ditto. When I was doing TASK25 training, I couldn't help thinking; "Jeeze, this is really harsh", but since then, as I've settled into it, I've been able to see why the company do it and how much sense it makes.
Erik.
the point is that alcohol should not policed to the extent it is by the police and licensing authority.

I understand that the shops and by consequence the cashiers are only trying to cover themselves. (except Morrissons who seem to be going above and beyond their nelgal obligations)

ultimate responsibility lies with the government. The fact is in a free society it is not acceptable for the retail of commodities to be policed to this extent, at all.

It's a really sorry state of affairs, you can see why so many people are emigrating...

Try not to be *too* overdramatic about this :p:

Think about it, its only made it harder to buy alcohol for those who, by law, cannot buy it. The limit is there for a reason. While I believe the limit (As well as the classification of other things) is unduly harsh, you have to remember that a lot of people (not perhaps including yourself) stand to abuse alcohol, or indeed, any other substance if allowed.

The only misgivings I had about the new system, were that I had flashes of my younger self and friends trying to buy alcohol for a party without ID, and how much it sucks for people in the same situation now :p: :p:
Oh, and a genuine fear that I wont look over 25 (and therefore will be hassled) until over 40 :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending