The Student Room Group
Reply 2
Yes, I've looked at them; I have also read the relevant articles in The Student Room's wiki, looked at the alternative prospectus for each and college websites. It's simply hard for me to get a full sense of the courses from simply reading the title of every module; so I was hoping anyone who has done these courses might also be willing to share their experiences, so I (and others) can make the most informed decisions possible.

But thank you nevertheless.
Reply 3
There was a thread about this just a few weeks ago :smile: - here's the link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=12570028.
Reply 4
Oh wow, thank you! :smile:
Reply 5
It's quite important to remember that none of us have done both courses, so it's difficult to know what the real difference are. There's lots of assumption (based on what we thought we knew when we applied) which just isn't true.

Both courses are thorough and challenging, though, which is good!
^ Yep, this. There are people on TSR who are studying/have studied English at Cambridge (such as eptiome... and also Lidka, I think); there are also people who are studying/have studied English at Oxford (such as hobnob and caustic87). There are also quite a few people with offers from one or the other to start English next year. But none of us has taken both courses, so no-one can really weigh up the pros and cons for you properly, because no-one has the experience to do so.

If I were really stuck between the courses (which I wasn't, as it happens, because although Cambridge's course sounds like something I'd really enjoy, Cambridge was just too far for me to go) I'd probably try to get onto a couple of departmental open days, or even arrange a couple of informal visits. You might even find that other factors (such as distance, as was the case with me; or 'atmosphere', as was the case with a few of my friends) influence your decision almost as much as the course itself... and I don't really see that as a problem, as long as you definitely like the sound of both courses.

:smile:
Reply 7

Ahaha
Reply 8
memopanda
Yes, I've looked at them; I have also read the relevant articles in The Student Room's wiki, looked at the alternative prospectus for each and college websites. It's simply hard for me to get a full sense of the courses from simply reading the title of every module; so I was hoping anyone who has done these courses might also be willing to share their experiences, so I (and others) can make the most informed decisions possible.

But thank you nevertheless.

To be honest, all you are likely to get on any university course (at this stage) is titles of modules. Get yourself to an Open Day if you want to ask more specific questions about texts, or send an e-mail to the universities. It sucks, but that's the way it is! No one on here will be able to give you a 'full sense' of the courses; remember that most students will have options different from each other for part or parts of the course (Paper 7 in the Cambridge Tripos is one example) and that colleges will all teach the course differently, sometimes very differently. It's up to you to dig around and find the combination that is most likely to suit you - then maybe come back to TSR with more specific, college-focused questions. :smile:
Reply 9
Lidka
To be honest, all you are likely to get on any university course (at this stage) is titles of modules. Get yourself to an Open Day if you want to ask more specific questions about texts, or send an e-mail to the universities. It sucks, but that's the way it is! No one on here will be able to give you a 'full sense' of the courses; remember that most students will have options different from each other for part or parts of the course (Paper 7 in the Cambridge Tripos is one example) and that colleges will all teach the course differently, sometimes very differently. It's up to you to dig around and find the combination that is most likely to suit you - then maybe come back to TSR with more specific, college-focused questions. :smile:

:ditto:
Besides, the titles of papers do tell you something about the structure of the course. There's no actual syllabus, though, so it's hard to give any more specific information than that. What exactly you'll be doing for those papers will largely be due to you and your tutor.

Latest

Trending

Trending