The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You should have seen the looks on the parents' faces when I showed them the state we'd made of our kitchen (James, C Block).

They won't be laughing when the same sight that greats them when they come up to visit their little angels this year :wink:

Ahem. On topic:
You'll get people in every college saying that it doesn't matter and others who genuinely believe that their college is awesome. Same with the Students Union. The ones who don't care will laugh at those who do and the ones who do will be immensely frustrated by those who don't. Ultimately, the college is what you make of it. You can have fantastic group spirit and events within the context of societies or department groups anyway. Or you can go for all 4. If I were you, I'd leave the preference blank - but then you might get Goodricke :p:
University of York
York
Reply 21
+1 on the put a preference so your less likely to get dumped in goodricke :biggrin:
Melana
You'll be sent the accomodation pack when your place is confirmed.

OK, here's a college breakdown:

James - fairly central, close to Psychology, Physics and the sports centre, has no bar, not a lot of college spirit, but not negative. Mostly really nice acccomodation, some ensuite, either sharing 8 person flats or 16 person houses.

Alcuin - Slightly out of the way, up the hill behind the library, close to chemistry, medical school, library and social work. Really nice accomodation, almost all ensuite, fair college spirit but because it's a bit out of the way, very quiet.

Goodricke - Very central, close to maths, psychology, physics. Some not very attractive accomodation, few if any ensuite, good college spirit.

Vanbrugh - The most central, close to market square, history. Has the best bar! Average looking accomodation, but some new blocks built that are very nice with ensuite. Good college sprit.

Langwith - Fairly central, close to English. Average looking accomodation, few ensuite. Slightly better spirit than James, but not much. Currently negotiating re-vamping the bar which is verrrry quiet.

Derwent - Slightly out of the way, close to Heslington, not sure which subjects. Amazing college spirit, and hosts the most popular events. Not great looking accomodation, and the centre of most of the kitchen-complaints, but most of this has been sorted.

Halifax - Very out of the way, ten minute walk to campus (which makes more of a difference than you'd think) but good college spirit. Recently closed bar. Has its own mini-supermarket. Some not great accomodation (St Lawrence Court) but otherwise generally fine. Close to Heslington.

Wentworth - Postgraduate accomodation only. But very pretty.

I'm sure people will debate some of this, or be able to add stuff, but this is the general consensus from everyone that I know.

Thanks!

As I understood the best option for me would be Alcuin College - quite place, en-suite, near economics departament.
How far are supermarkets/food/grocery shops from it? Is it in walkable distance from city centre?
Reply 23
It's still part of campus, so this applies to any of the colleges:

Alcuin is about 45 minute walk from town, and it's near the Costcutters (expensive mini-market) on campus, and 15 minute walk from the Somerfield on Hull Road
Reply 24
45 minutes to town? You must walk slowly! Usually only takes me 20-30 mins depending on which part of campus I'm going from.
45min thas a lot! Thats not good that there is no supermarket near campus..
Reply 26
Somerfield is only about a 10 minute walk from Alcuin, it is pretty close to campus, and 45 minutes to town is very slow :s-smilie: It takes me half an hour tops.
Reply 27
Dionis_antic
45min thas a lot! Thats not good that there is no supermarket near campus..

There is. Aldi and Iceland are about 20 minutes walk from James College, Somerfield is nearby as stated, Morrison's is close enough that at least one of my friends used it all year and Sainsbury's is close enough that one of my friends works there.

That's not counting the multitude of greengrocers and suchlike within a shorter distance than the above. There's no need to worry about being too far away (and if you budget well enough, you can live out of CostCutter and Your: Shop anyway - it just might not be overly pleasant :p:).

Edit: Also, if you count Postern Gate as town, it can be as little as 15 minutes, but if you use somewhere like Toffs or the station as your benchmark, then 45 is fairly reasonable.
Depending on the route, I could be in town in 20 mins or so :smile:. Also yeah, you can live out of Costcutters, but it isn't the best. Aldi and Iceland are only a short walk away, as with Somerfield, so you shouldn't have any problems really :smile:
There's also a bus directly from campus that goes to Monks Cross, which has Asda, but most ppl end up getting food delivered (if you do it as a group and spread the delivery charge it's really cheap)
Reply 30
Yeah I've never gone to a supermarket while at uni - always do online shops. You can search online for free delivery vouchers so it doesn't cost you anything and you don't have to waste your time walking to a supermarket and only coming back with what you can carry.
Someone recommended Iceland to me for good student food shopping. I know they deliver for free as well, as long as the charge is over a certain amount..
Over £25 IIRC. If you don't get delivery, remember that you have to carry it home :p:, don't go buying loads of heavy stuff...I've learned my lesson once before :s-smilie:
Derwent plays host to Politics and Philosophy. The accomodation is old, but large and the kitchens in the main blocks have been refurbished just this year (except we trashed them somewhat). The majority of large campus events are hosted at and by Derwent - the end of year bash we hosted outplayed the official summer ball, bringing Pendulum and Chesney Hawkes to their Booty Love.

My only experience in other colleges is with girls, so I don't really get the whole picture.

I'd say Derwent was the best college for people looking for a solid family atmosphere - friendly staff, students, and a very active committee. We've had a few transfers from other colleges, and they've all been shocked (James, Halifax) at the amount of involvement and care you get here.

In fact, if you were to go onto campus and ask people, despite college patriotism, I'd say that most people would admit that Derwent was by far the best college.
Oh, one other thing to be wary of - En suite rooms in most colleges are smaller than the normal rooms.

I thought I'd desperately want ensuite, but I'm so glad I didn't. In my block, there are ten people to a floor, and two baths and a shower between us, alongside of course basins in every room and countless toilets. There was in first year rarely a queue for the shower at any time.

Also, ensuites tend to get messy and wet, with water leaking out and rotting carpets making the whole thing smell lots.
Reply 35
Derwent sounds good! Tho I want my own loo :sad:

What to do? :puppyeyes:

I should get accom packs by the end of the month (gappy).
Laus
Derwent sounds good! Tho I want my own loo :sad:

What to do? :puppyeyes:

I should get accom packs by the end of the month (gappy).

I was in C-block, and becasue of the way the rooms were organised, I was in a small annex (but really close to everyone else), with my own bath/toilet just outside, that I only had to share with one gorgeous girl and any visiting norwegians (who weren't there 90% of the time).

It was great, apart from the times I flooded the entire block ;-).

Oh, and en-suite is an extra £700 that you could happily spend on clothes from Coggles or Paul Smith. Well, I could ;-).
Reply 37
Redemption's post is just spreading FUD :P

If you're happy in old substandard accommodation, small kitchens and shared toilets, sure, Derwent's fine. If you want a college with en suite, massive kitchens, new everything and amazing block parties, Alcuin's where you want to be :P
Reply 38
laser
Redemption's post is just spreading FUD :P

If you're happy in old substandard accommodation, small kitchens and shared toilets, sure, Derwent's fine. If you want a college with en suite, massive kitchens, new everything and amazing block parties, Alcuin's where you want to be :P

I think you'll find you're the fud spreader! :P

I was in Derwent D block this year and we had massive kitchens with separate dining areas, and had 2 block parties with 3 floors of music and hundreds of guests!
Reply 39
I'll keep our 8 hobs, 2 ovens, 2 fridges and 2 freezers though :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending