The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Which college?

Hi, I have chosen York as my first choice and hopefully I will be starting this october. Which college should I choose? I like the sound of James, it looks nice and is newish. Is it true that part of the campus floods sometimes?

Also, is it true that there is asbestos in the main building and the Physics department? One of the comments lower down on this page said something about it. http://www.nouse.co.uk/2008/06/19/students-protest-heslington-hall/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, but it's the non-dangerous type of asbestos.

And yes, parts of the Uni (some of the walkways near the lake) sometimes flood, but that's quite rare, and it never affects any of the buildings.

And the choice of the best college is always subjective. If you like James, go with it. Everyone will always tell you their college is best. Which is Alcuin, btw :wink:
University of York
York
There is also extensive work underway to remove the asbestos from central hall (now complete I believe) and physics, they will probably try and remove it from Derwent over the summer :smile:

Also, Langwith FTW :smile:
Reply 3
+1 alcuin - nicest halls
Reply 4
its all about Derwent, no one else can beat our college spirit. Our events also rule.
Hey,
I'm looking for a quite college. It should be near Economics departament also preffered en-suit. In addition, included meal would be nice.
What could you suggest?

As I understood I don't need to apply for accomondation until I receive accomondation form pack, right? Or I need to fill accomondation application form 2008/2009?
Reply 6
You'll be sent the accomodation pack when your place is confirmed.

OK, here's a college breakdown:

James - fairly central, close to Psychology, Physics and the sports centre, has no bar, not a lot of college spirit, but not negative. Mostly really nice acccomodation, some ensuite, either sharing 8 person flats or 16 person houses.

Alcuin - Slightly out of the way, up the hill behind the library, close to chemistry, medical school, library and social work. Really nice accomodation, almost all ensuite, fair college spirit but because it's a bit out of the way, very quiet.

Goodricke - Very central, close to maths, psychology, physics. Some not very attractive accomodation, few if any ensuite, good college spirit.

Vanbrugh - The most central, close to market square, history. Has the best bar! Average looking accomodation, but some new blocks built that are very nice with ensuite. Good college sprit.

Langwith - Fairly central, close to English. Average looking accomodation, few ensuite. Slightly better spirit than James, but not much. Currently negotiating re-vamping the bar which is verrrry quiet.

Derwent - Slightly out of the way, close to Heslington, not sure which subjects. Amazing college spirit, and hosts the most popular events. Not great looking accomodation, and the centre of most of the kitchen-complaints, but most of this has been sorted.

Halifax - Very out of the way, ten minute walk to campus (which makes more of a difference than you'd think) but good college spirit. Recently closed bar. Has its own mini-supermarket. Some not great accomodation (St Lawrence Court) but otherwise generally fine. Close to Heslington.

Wentworth - Postgraduate accomodation only. But very pretty.

I'm sure people will debate some of this, or be able to add stuff, but this is the general consensus from everyone that I know.
Reply 7
Economics is in Alcuin College.

Afaik all of the colleges are self-catering, the Meals thing is always an add-on, no matter where you are
I thought you couldn't choose! I heard that you're just allocated a college and that's that. :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Nope, they've updated the form this year so you can express a preference.
But of course having a preference doesn't guarantee you will get it, like saying you would prefer ensuite
I suppose your preference might depend on your budget as well then..
Not really, all rooms are priced on the let period and en-suite-ness. Prices don't change (or rather, didn't change) between colleges :smile:
laser
Economics is in Alcuin College.

Afaik all of the colleges are self-catering, the Meals thing is always an add-on, no matter where you are

is it worth to pay additional amount for that meal, is it good? Coz, loads of unis, have really bad food.
Reply 14
It's okay, but it's not cheap.

I would seriously recommend cooking, it's not hard and it's an essential life skill you're going to need one day anyway
Reply 15
it's really not cheap, works out at like £4 a meal. cook, and when you can't be bothered, go and pay to eat, it's not much more.
Just 50p more for Efes :biggrin:
Reply 17
slugonamission
There is also extensive work underway to remove the asbestos from central hall (now complete I believe) and physics, they will probably try and remove it from Derwent over the summer :smile:

Also, Langwith FTW :smile:

Physics finally opened to the unwashed masses yesterday and it still has asbestos stickers on all the cupboards. They are taking it out of some places, but not all it would seem. Still, it's not likely to affect people directly, it's mostly an issue for campus services, YUSU and the media societies who need to get into those cupboards reguarly.
Reply 18
Dionis_antic
is it worth to pay additional amount for that meal, is it good? Coz, loads of unis, have really bad food.

NO. What everyone else said, but also, it's more expensive. because you can get sausage roll, beans and chips for like 2 quid, it's just the main meals that are expensive, but that's what they're charging for. Learn to cook nice things over the summer, it's sooo much better.
Reply 19
I stewarded at the open day on wednesday, showing people round accomodation, and it was so weird people actually being bothered about the fact that the block looked old from the outside. Honestly, uni is about the friends you make, not how nice your kitchen is. I've just finished my first year, where I was in Derwent D block, had the most fun ever and the student:shower ratio hasn't exactly caused me to lose sleep.

I honestly think the colleges are more than just the glorified halls people sometimes call them.

And Derwent is blatently the best :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending