The Student Room Group

BA Economics - can one more AS in upper sixth help?

I am studying in Hong Kong for my lower sixth. My HKCEE result is 5A4B1C, and my A-levels are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I plan to apply to Cambridge for BA in Economics.

I took AL Maths, AS Physics and AS Economics this June. I predict I'll have 570+/600 in Maths for sure, 255+/300 in Physics but only 230-270/300 in Economics (i.e. maybe no A) due to my carelessness and slow writing speed....

Would my low UMS in Econ affect my chance? What can I do now?

Actually I am now thinking to take one more AS (most probably one of History/Chemistry/Geography) in my upper sixth, in attempt to prove my ability. Perhaps I should take the AL in Chinese (well.... i am already a native-user)? Or I should simply focus on my remaining subjects?
Reply 1
Redo Econ if you don't get an A
Reply 2
arts subject??! What are you talking about?
Reply 3
It doesn't really, it's in more of a grey area. Too much scientific method involved to be an arts subject.
Reply 4
That's why there isn't a straight arts/social sciences dichotomy and why we do also have social sciences. Economics (and possibly modern languages) are definately social sciences. They are not art subjects, at all.

I'd resit economics, I don't think an extra AS would compensate. Concentrate on what you're doing.
Reply 5
splee
I am studying in Hong Kong for my lower sixth. My HKCEE result is 5A4B1C, and my A-levels are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I plan to apply to Cambridge for BA in Economics.

I took AL Maths, AS Physics and AS Economics this June. I predict I'll have 570+/600 in Maths for sure, 255+/300 in Physics but only 230-270/300 in Economics (i.e. maybe no A) due to my carelessness and slow writing speed....

Would my low UMS in Econ affect my chance? What can I do now?

Actually I am now thinking to take one more AS (most probably one of History/Chemistry/Geography) in my upper sixth, in attempt to prove my ability. Perhaps I should take the AL in Chinese (well.... i am already a native-user)? Or I should simply focus on my remaining subjects?

Frankly, an extra AS won't help - in any application, not just yours. It's been said time and time again that it's DEPTH, not breadth, of ability that impresses admissions tutors. Basically: you're applying for Eco, so stop looking at non-Eco related things (unless you REALLY want to take another subject on - but certainly don't do it at the expense of Economics!). Retake your Economics (you do kind of need an A, even a low one), and start brushing up on your extra-curricular reading. Any internships/work experience available that you might find interesting? Now's the time to start exploring what your interests are. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending