The Student Room Group

GCSE German Raise (AQA)

I do three languages at GCSE (french german and spanish).
Anyway, cos I'm neurotic and paranoid about these particular subjects (they're the only three I'm likely gonna get a* in) I look for the answers on here, go by last year's UMS to see if I'm in the boundary.
Now for french and spanish I'm pretty sure (touch wood) that I've got my a* however in german, going by last years ums in reading and listening I'm 9 marks off a*
I personally thought the listening in particular was way harde than last year. Do you think they'll bring the boudaries up for listening and reading based on your opinion of the 2008 aqa exam?
Reply 1
I don't know about the particular exam, but in general if everyone found it harder than previous years, the grade boundary will probably be lower than usual.

Congrats on taking on the languages :smile:, I did 4 and it's a good feeling when you tell people that you have basic knowledge in their language.
Personally, I found it quite easy, apart from the English section :biggrin:. I just hope I did well... I'm sure you'll have done well though, you sound like someone who's likely to have done more than enough revision.
Reply 3
I thought the listening this year was somewhat harder than the 2007 one, for which I got 85 UMS in my mock. I think I’ll have missed the 80 UMS mark for this year’s listening.

As for the reading, it was very slightly harder; and the writing and speaking (naturally) remained the same difficulty.
Reply 4
mikoe
I do three languages at GCSE (french german and spanish).
Anyway, cos I'm neurotic and paranoid about these particular subjects (they're the only three I'm likely gonna get a* in) I look for the answers on here, go by last year's UMS to see if I'm in the boundary.
Now for french and spanish I'm pretty sure (touch wood) that I've got my a* however in german, going by last years ums in reading and listening I'm 9 marks off a*
I personally thought the listening in particular was way harde than last year. Do you think they'll bring the boudaries up for listening and reading based on your opinion of the 2008 aqa exam?

If lots of people found the exam difficult the boundaries may move down by 3-4 marks, but there's no chance that it'll be moved down 9.
Reply 5
Gooner
If lots of people found the exam difficult the boundaries may move down by 3-4 marks, but there's no chance that it'll be moved down 9.

Yes but if the listenign exam is moved down 3 marks and the reading is that's 6 ums marks gained. Plus I'm one of those people who do 'the worst' I could have got so hopefully I'm just in the A*.
I wish I'd done more revision for the speaking tho
Reply 6
mikoe
Yes but if the listenign exam is moved down 3 marks and the reading is that's 6 ums marks gained. Plus I'm one of those people who do 'the worst' I could have got so hopefully I'm just in the A*.
I wish I'd done more revision for the speaking tho

True, but there's no guarantee that the marks will move at all:s-smilie:

You're blatantly putting yourself under a lot of stress which you should be avoiding now you're finished your exams. Try to enjoy the summer and stop second guessing the grade boundaries for each paper - you may have found it harder or easier than the average student this year, but you'll never know unless you talk to all 50,000 students who took the exam!:p: If you deserve your A* you'll get it:wink:
Reply 7
Gooner
True, but there's no guarantee that the marks will move at all:s-smilie:

You're blatantly putting yourself under a lot of stress which you should be avoiding now you're finished your exams. Try to enjoy the summer and stop second guessing the grade boundaries for each paper - you may have found it harder or easier than the average student this year, but you'll never know unless you talk to all 50,000 students who took the exam!:p: If you deserve your A* you'll get it:wink:

I agree that we really should all stop worrying about exams now!

Don’t agree with that last statement though I know a lot of people who deserved A*s but the unfair examination system didn’t let them show it in the exam.

The grade boundaries for UMS do move significantly each year for AQA languages, at least French and German which I do and Spanish which many of my close friends do so you don’t know for sure.

Good luck!
Reply 8
Gren1TI
I agree that we really should all stop worrying about exams now!

Don’t agree with that last statement though I know a lot of people who deserved A*s but the unfair examination system didn’t let them show it in the exam.
The grade boundaries for UMS do move significantly each year for AQA languages, at least French and German which I do and Spanish which many of my close friends do so you don’t know for sure.

Good luck!

The exams system isn't unfair - if you deserve a grade, you'll get it by sheer hard work and determination to get that grade. That was clear when I got my GCSE results - the subjects I worked my ass off in I got As and A*s in. IN history however, where I did no work over the two year course and had to cram everything in within a month, I got a B, because I didn't deserve any higher. I'm not going to say I deserved an A, because I know I didn't.
Reply 9
^ I disagree. I didn't revise at all for my mocks and got better results than my bro did in his real gcses who did tons of revision (who did 9/10 same subj i did). Some of it's based on ability, some not.
Reply 10
That's also known as complacency though. If you're too complacent on having 'ability' or simply doing well in your mocks without doing revision afterwards, then you run a huge risk in the real exams of a topic coming up which you may not be so good at, resulting in an overall harder paper in your own eyes.
Reply 11
huh? did you read my answer thoroughly? I'm not being complacent. I said my brother got worse results than me when he did loads of revision (much more than I did) and i did none for my mocks and did quite alot better.
Reply 12
mikoe
huh? did you read my answer thoroughly? I'm not being complacent. I said my brother got worse results than me when he did loads of revision (much more than I did) and i did none for my mocks and did quite alot better.

Yeah, but in my eyes (no offence to you) comparing yourself to your brother and doing well in mocks without doing revision is complacency. I don't mean that in an insulting way - we're all guilty of it at some time, I'm sure...I was complacent with my GCSE French, and it sometimes doesn't affect your performance in exams.:s-smilie:
Reply 13
I didn't mean it like that - I was trying to stress the point that some people work damn hard but some other people who have a higher ability (e.g. a numerical ability) may do nothing at all but get a better grade. I only gave my family as an example - I wasn't trying to be complacent. I was just trying to stress it is sometimes unfair.
Reply 14
Point taken then.:smile:

Latest