The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

and you would recommend i memorise all?
Reply 41
All I remember about GCSE Latin is when I had to translate something and I said "the cock is in the kitchen" instead of the "the cook is in the kitchen". Good times...
Scientific Calculator
so its clear i will need to focus on the texts and translating. thats fine.

can someone give me an idea of how much i would have to memorise?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/key_documents/L_GCSE_Latin_Specification_FIRST_Examination_2007.pdf

page 35, that's just the vocab

You'll need to learn all the literature stuff as well, though it's nowhere near 15 A4 pages, it's more like 2/3.

And that's the longest piece of litereature you'll probably need to learn.

But you'll need to learn several more pieces.
Reply 43
Seriously. I've had 4 lessons a week for the past 4 years of Latin. I'll be lucky to get a good grade. Although, if you have interest in it it's fine. If you treat the lessons as 'naptime' as I did for a while, then you're screwed tbh.
Reply 44
learning the vocab is the easy part. you havent even seen all the different verb forms, stems, vowel changes etc that make up the tense structures. its crazy. but with revision it should be ok. btw im aiming for an A.
ArchedEdge
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/key_documents/L_GCSE_Latin_Specification_FIRST_Examination_2007.pdf

page 35, that's just the vocab

You'll need to learn all the literature stuff as well, though it's nowhere near 15 A4 pages, it's more like 2/3.

And that's the longest piece of litereature you'll probably need to learn.

But you'll need to learn several more pieces.

What, the Pliny? The text that begins 'You ask that I write an account of my uncle's death, so that you can hand it down to posterity more accurately?' That's definitely at least ten pages long. There are a few shorter stories, of about 2/3 pages length, but they have to be learnt alongside the Pliny and Virgil.

Unless things have changed dramatically since I did Latin!
the vocab looks pretty easy.

ive memorised a lot lot lot lot lot lot more than that in the past, i cant explain to you just how much i have memorised in the past.

Ive memorised a 935-page Holy Book in a language i dont understand. And i can recite it word from word to this day.

so i think you can appreciate what i mean when i say - that reaaaally wont be a problem...
SylverStrike
What, the Pliny? The text that begins 'You ask that I write an account of my uncle's death, so that you can hand it down to posterity more accurately?' That's definitely at least ten pages long. There are a few shorter stories, of about 2/3 pages length, but they have to be learnt alongside the Pliny and Virgil.

Unless things have changed dramatically since I did Latin!

Uh, maybe the whole letter in its entirety, but for GCSE it takes up about 3 A4 pages, and that's with double spacing as well.

They cut it down a lot which is probably why.

The other long one I had to learn was Baucis and Philemon, which is nearly as long but is more like 2 pages of A4, again double sided.

And this is the english translation I'm talking about, with keywords in latin next to the correct english word :smile:
Scientific Calculator
the vocab looks pretty easy.

ive memorised a lot lot lot lot lot lot more than that in the past, i cant explain to you just how much i have memorised in the past.

Ive memorised a 935-page Holy Book in a language i dont understand. And i can recite it word from word to this day.

so i think you can appreciate what i mean when i say - that reaaaally wont be a problem...

Photographic memory?

You'll be fine in that case, for the literature at least, because you'll know for certain all the answers before hand. :p:
ArchedEdge
Uh, maybe the whole letter in its entirety, but for GCSE it takes up about 3 A4 pages, and that's with double spacing as well.

They cut it down a lot which is probably why.

The other long one I had to learn was Baucis and Philemon, which is nearly as long but is more like 2 pages of A4, again double sided.

And this is the english translation I'm talking about, with keywords in latin next to the correct english word :smile:

Yeah, I'm talking about the same thing...We learnt the whole letter in its entirety. From the beginning until the death of the uncle. The English translation, with helpful Latin words.

How strange...When did you do the GCSE? Things might've changed a bit, but I can't imagine they've changed that much!

Unless our Latin teachers made us learn it for no reason. It does sound like something they'd do.:p:
yes.

anyhow it happens to be two minutes past ten - that is exactly two minutes past my bed time.

And so I shall now have to leave this forum for the time-being.

We can catch up with the conversation tomorrow afternoon.

Good bye, and I have truly appreciated the input of all people on the thread.

Thank you,

the *OP*
Scientific Calculator

Go on then.

Just kidding.:p:
Reply 52
SylverStrike
Yeah, I'm talking about the same thing...We learnt the whole letter in its entirety. From the beginning until the death of the uncle. The English translation, with helpful Latin words.

How strange...When did you do the GCSE? Things might've changed a bit, but I can't imagine they've changed that much!

Unless our Latin teachers made us learn it for no reason. It does sound like something they'd do.:p:

Uh, I did this a month or so ago and I learnt the letter in its entirety. :\
SylverStrike

I did it like a month ago :p:

Maybe you just had really big font?
ArchedEdge
I did it like a month ago :p:

Maybe you just had really big font?

Well, size twelve...But as QED said, he/she had to learn the whole letter.

Seriously, what course are you doing? And why couldn't I have done that course? It sounds a lot nicer!:p:
Reply 55
SylverStrike

I was supposed to learn loads too, probably about 10+ pages. I didn't... What exam board did you take Latin on, because one exam board has stopped offering it at GCSE. I did it in its last year, two years ago.
Smoobla
I was supposed to learn loads too, probably about 10+ pages. I didn't... What exam board did you take Latin on, because one exam board has stopped offering it at GCSE. I did it in its last year, two years ago.

OCR, I think. I did it last summer, so not too long ago.
Reply 57
15A*s?? Lol respect for that. I did Latin GCSE this year (i will deffo get an A*), and I seriously recommend you do it. One lesson a week combined with rigorous learning outside lessons and you will certainly get an A*, if you're already on course for 14 stars its a good option
Yeah same I did it on OCR!

How unusual.... :biggrin:

Unlucky for you lot though! :p:
Reply 59
SylverStrike
OCR, I think. I did it last summer, so not too long ago.

I can't remember my exam board, I think it was AQA. They possibly still offer the two year course, but not the short course.

Latest